PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Samples to ASU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Samples to ASU

Postby Doesntmatter » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:04 am

Hopefully a bunch of TCU freshmen hit the portal and we keep ours.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Re: Samples to ASU

Postby FroggieFever » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:53 am

Huh? He coached at the Rams. How does that have anything to do with TCU?
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:02 pm

FroggieFever wrote:Huh? He coached at the Rams. How does that have anything to do with TCU?

I'm guessing he doesn't k now Samp left much earlier in the year.

Never knew what value he would bring to the NFL anyway - not like he was a good coach - just a great recruiter.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Doesntmatter » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:50 pm

FroggieFever wrote:Huh? He coached at the Rams. How does that have anything to do with TCU?

Several of your 2022 recruits flipped from SMU to TCU and they were following Samples.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Postby FroggieFever » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:16 pm

Doesntmatter wrote:

Several of your 2022 recruits flipped from SMU to TCU and they were following Samples.

Samples never really even stepped foot on TCU's campus. He pretty much went straight to the Rams after a couple week pit stop in Fort Worth. Carrington will hurt, though.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:20 pm

Samps and Duncs make the world go round.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Doesntmatter » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:51 pm

FroggieFever wrote:
Doesntmatter wrote:

Samples never really even stepped foot on TCU's campus. He pretty much went straight to the Rams after a couple week pit stop in Fort Worth. Carrington will hurt, though.

Yep, I realize that but Samples was on the TCU staff when early signing on the LOIs took place. That coupled with Carrington headed there as well, ASU could pluck a few from TCU and SMU.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:01 pm

Jordan Hudson and Chace Biddle are the two names that stick out in my mind. They were solid SMU commits and de-committed the week of the treason only to commit and sign with TCU a few days later. I know there was at least one more if not two. I wouldn't mind if they transferred to ASU.
mustangxc

Postby DC-Pony » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:40 am

Coach Samples had a rough partial year in the NFL, as RB coach. The Rams were near the bottom of rushing yds/game all year. And Coach McVay even publicly said in the middle of the year something to the effect of, "I don't even know why we bother to run the ball any more." A lot more to the success of a running game in the NFL than just the RB coach though. So, hard to know how much could be attributed to him.

But, agree, the value Coach Samples offered SMU - at least in his time with us - was heavily weighted to his recruiting impact. And that is because he appeared to be such an excellent recruiter. When his history is written, perhaps he'll also be known as an excellent overall coach.

I'd be surprised if TCU would lose any impact players to ASU. Most of the guys that followed Samples and the rest of the Coaching staff there were TX guys and even DFW guys. Plus, TCU is in the playoffs and ASU is starting from ground zero. We're not in the playoffs, so we don't currently offer that level of gravitational pull. But, hoping all guys that came to SMU on Samples's watch stay with the Ponies.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:14 pm

DC-Pony wrote:Coach Samples had a rough partial year in the NFL, as RB coach. The Rams were near the bottom of rushing yds/game all year. And Coach McVay even publicly said in the middle of the year something to the effect of, "I don't even know why we bother to run the ball any more." A lot more to the success of a running game in the NFL than just the RB coach though. So, hard to know how much could be attributed to him.

But, agree, the value Coach Samples offered SMU - at least in his time with us - was heavily weighted to his recruiting impact. And that is because he appeared to be such an excellent recruiter. When his history is written, perhaps he'll also be known as an excellent overall coach.

I'd be surprised if TCU would lose any impact players to ASU. Most of the guys that followed Samples and the rest of the Coaching staff there were TX guys and even DFW guys. Plus, TCU is in the playoffs and ASU is starting from ground zero. We're not in the playoffs, so we don't currently offer that level of gravitational pull. But, hoping all guys that came to SMU on Samples's watch stay with the Ponies.

Well said.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:28 pm

FroggieFever wrote:
DC-Pony wrote:Coach Samples had a rough partial year in the NFL, as RB coach. The Rams were near the bottom of rushing yds/game all year. And Coach McVay even publicly said in the middle of the year something to the effect of, "I don't even know why we bother to run the ball any more." A lot more to the success of a running game in the NFL than just the RB coach though. So, hard to know how much could be attributed to him.

Well said.

Dude is a socialite. Highly valuable in college. Not as much in the NFL.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:03 am

Top recruiter Bryan Carrington reportedly is joining Samples at Arizona State
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Return to Football