PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bowl Games

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bowl Games

Postby GHammond » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:38 pm

Help me understand the Turner anxiety here? Do we not have big donors who have given millions towards athletic upgrades - Miller, Armstrong, the recent “end zone guy”, I am sure there are others, Lloyd? Isn’t our NIL program a model, well funded? Haven’t we hired coaches like Brown, Jones, Dykes who are program changers? I travel to away games and on business and I am hard pressed to find a better campus or more dynamic city? Hasn’t SMU continued to invest and reinvest in the campus which directly and indirectly benefits athletics? Help me understand the “Turner thing”..,I don’t get it and feel like it is has to be
deeper and broader than one dude.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby Arkpony » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:43 pm

I was at the Cotton Bowl. Game. A very large contingent of Tulane fans were present and they easily “out yelled” the USC fans. A great showing by our conference champs. Also I observed a lot of Tulane t shirt fans ( or Walmart fans if you will). The kind I wish SMU had.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:07 pm

GHammond wrote:Help me understand the Turner anxiety here? Do we not have big donors who have given millions towards athletic upgrades - Miller, Armstrong, the recent “end zone guy”, I am sure there are others, Lloyd? Isn’t our NIL program a model, well funded? Haven’t we hired coaches like Brown, Jones, Dykes who are program changers? I travel to away games and on business and I am hard pressed to find a better campus or more dynamic city? Hasn’t SMU continued to invest and reinvest in the campus which directly and indirectly benefits athletics? Help me understand the “Turner thing”..,I don’t get it and feel like it is has to be
deeper and broader than one dude.

Turner will accept money and let alumni/donors build some stuff but in the athletic department there is no accountability or desire for excellence.

Imagine there's a player who has a lot of potential. You can max him out in NIL $, give him the latest gear, and promote him... but deep down he really doesn't give a sh** about his sport and gets by on talent. Donating money to SMU athletics is like supporting that player.

Turner was originally resistant to all things sporting excellence. As we get passed by TCU, then UCF, then Houston, then Tulane, he slowly changes. I think he's pretty much on board now but there's still 0 pressure to win. It's "yay let's do sports" mentality.

Perhaps the biggest example is that our AD is Hart instead of Orsini. Turner doesn't want some Notre Dame varsity a-hole running around raving about top 25 in everything we do. Now we have an athletics administration that has 0 personal experience competing in the ncaa.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby GHammond » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:31 pm

It sounds like based on your reply that we are recruiting the wrong players? Kendric Davis, Stone, other performers don’t give a shi_, as you say? Sending $$$ to NIL is like supporting a bunch of lazy 3 stars? That doesn’t make sense.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby mtrout » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:36 pm

GHammond wrote:It sounds like based on your reply that we are recruiting the wrong players? Kendric Davis, Stone, other performers don’t give a shi_, as you say? Sending $$$ to NIL is like supporting a bunch of lazy 3 stars? That doesn’t make sense.

That's not what I'm saying at all. It was an example and not directed at our players. The "player" in my example is "SMU athletics".

What I'm saying is that at SMU you can get 5th place every year for 20 years and that's just fine. Zero pressure environment. No goals. Only cardinal sin is a violation a la Larry Brown.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby GHammond » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:38 pm

Just checked SMU hoops and Fball under Orsini…not sure that’s the answer?
GHammond
Varsity

Postby mtrout » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:41 pm

It looks like I am failing in my attempts to communicate.
Bottom line, leadership is everything.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby GHammond » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:43 pm

I’m an idiot, so hang with me. You brought up Orsini. Did I misread that?
GHammond
Varsity

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:31 pm

Pedophile State took down Utah. Too bad. Not a fan of those Pennsylvania perverts.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby BUS » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:27 am

Ped. U
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Arkpony » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:18 pm

BUS wrote:Ped. U

Yes
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby TCU Alum » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:52 pm

Topper wrote:Congrats to Tulane. That team overcame a lot of adversity and the fans are a long suffering lot. Besides I have spent some time on the West Coast and USC is an arrogant and annoying bunch.

The University of Spoiled Children!
TCU Alum

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:32 pm

I also think what USC was able to do this year with the transfers was akin to pillaging schools (mostly Oklahoma) to achieve immediate success. Glad they didn’t win a bowl to reward what the NCAA now allows these really rich teams with new coaches to do. They basically bought their team this year with no payroll limitation and no transfer restrictions. They’ll keep doing that and will probably buy more players in the D side to match the talent they’re getting on the offensive side.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby BUS » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:51 pm

We will do it better.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby redpony » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:51 am

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I also think what USC was able to do this year with the transfers was akin to pillaging schools (mostly Oklahoma) to achieve immediate success. Glad they didn’t win a bowl to reward what the NCAA now allows these really rich teams with new coaches to do. They basically bought their team this year with no payroll limitation and no transfer restrictions. They’ll keep doing that and will probably buy more players in the D side to match the talent they’re getting on the offensive side.

yep- that is what NIL is all about.. are we any different? lots of posts suggesting that we donate to be able to buy better players. kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.

BTW- had to laugh the comment about USC- students rich, spoiled and arrogant. Seems like those same labels have been applied to our students as well. Not a fan of cal. universities other than Stanford and Cal. Tech.
redpony

PreviousNext

Return to Football