PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bowl Games

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bowl Games

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:54 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I'm actually pulling for TCU to pull off the Cinderella season and to beat Georgia. I'm trying to get past my jealousy because if TCU can beat defending champion Georgia from the big bad SEC, it tells me that SMU is not that far off from being able to compete with the big boys of college football. As much as I was disappointed with Sonny's leaving, I just keep thinking about what he said about his having taken SMU as far as he could. More than anything that we've suffered through in the past, TCU's winning a national championship would hopefully be a huge wake up call for our administration and a motivating factor for our big money donors

Absolutely spot on.
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:25 pm

Meanwhile, Tulane and USC are knotted at 14 in the 2nd quarter in another high profile/big money game today. Those schools along with TCU should remind our administration what a successful football program can do to enhance the profile of a University
Charleston Pony

Postby mtrout » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:25 pm

Yes well said.

Still makes me uneasy with Sonny's "took SMU as far as they could go". What's the reason? Campuswide apathy?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:27 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Meanwhile, Tulane and USC are knotted at 14 in the 2nd quarter in another high profile/big money game today. Those schools along with TCU should remind our administration what a successful football program can do to enhance the profile of a University

Our "administration" is busy posting how they've been victimized by Southwest Airlines problems with their luggage. Victim is a good word for the overall SMU mentality.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:53 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Meanwhile, Tulane and USC are knotted at 14 in the 2nd quarter in another high profile/big money game today. Those schools along with TCU should remind our administration what a successful football program can do to enhance the profile of a University

PAC12 adding SDSU and Tulane would the most hilarious eventuality.

Tulane/USC crowd sounds like Mike Tyson's punch out after you knock down Tyson. I'm so jealous. Jesus we suck.

"Expectation without effort is called entitlement" -RG3 quoting someone

No more excuses for us. LFG. Dammit.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:59 pm

Great win for Tulane in an incredibly exciting game. That 46-45 final score reminds me of the BYU Holiday Bowl fiasco. Congrats to Tulane and good luck retaining coach Fritz!
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:02 pm

I was also worried that Tulane would overtake SMU in terms of desirability for the pac12 or any other p5 conference. But turner doesn’t care - he is set for life milking his retirement years into further making SMU irrelevant. :roll:
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:06 pm

Pretty good day for the SEC with 2 wins against the Big 10. LSU hung 63 on a Purdue team that was supposedly the best the Big 10 west could offer. We'll see if the PAC 12 can salvage some dignity today as their champion Utah gets a shot at Penn State, the Big 10's 3rd best team
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:09 pm

Utah all the way - could never root for Perv State. That football program should have been shut down.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:10 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I was also worried that Tulane would overtake SMU in terms of desirability for the pac12 or any other p5 conference. But turner doesn’t care - he is set for life milking his retirement years into further making SMU irrelevant. :roll:

And the list of private schools in our region having big time athletic success continues as we let Larry Brown and Sonny Dykes walk...TCU, Baylor and now Tulane. At least SMU is competing with Tulsa and Rice so I guess that's all that really matters.
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:18 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I'm actually pulling for TCU to pull off the Cinderella season and to beat Georgia. I'm trying to get past my jealousy because if TCU can beat defending champion Georgia from the big bad SEC, it tells me that SMU is not that far off from being able to compete with the big boys of college football. As much as I was disappointed with Sonny's leaving, I just keep thinking about what he said about his having taken SMU as far as he could. More than anything that we've suffered through in the past, TCU's winning a national championship would hopefully be a huge wake up call for our administration and a motivating factor for our big money donors

Wish the transitive property worked like that in college football,CP.
Nevertheless, Go Bulldogs
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:24 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I was also worried that Tulane would overtake SMU in terms of desirability for the pac12 or any other p5 conference. But turner doesn’t care - he is set for life milking his retirement years into further making SMU irrelevant. :roll:

And the list of private schools in our region having big time athletic success continues as we let Larry Brown and Sonny Dykes walk...TCU, Baylor and now Tulane. At least SMU is competing with Tulsa and Rice so I guess that's all that really matters.

Tulsa has multiple conference championships (cusa) and conference championship appearances.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:40 pm

regarding the "Grandaddy of them all", Is Penn State's humanoid-chipmunk-faced mascot simply the worst looking thing in college football?
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:46 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:Utah all the way - could never root for Perv State. That football program should have been shut down.

I totally agree!!!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Topper » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:25 pm

Congrats to Tulane. That team overcame a lot of adversity and the fans are a long suffering lot. Besides I have spent some time on the West Coast and USC is an arrogant and annoying bunch.
Topper
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football