PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bowl Games

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bowl Games

Postby Arkpony » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:31 pm

In OT now. 45-45
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:47 pm

I am afraid Arkansas fans have legitimate complaints about the officiating in this one. A non fumble fumble and a non targeting targeting.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Caballo » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:35 am

mrydel wrote:I am afraid Arkansas fans have legitimate complaints about the officiating in this one. A non fumble fumble and a non targeting targeting.

Those two calls had to be the worst that I have seen since the inception of instant replay since they were not overturned. Clearly, there was bias and the Arkansas fans usual claim that the refs were out to get them had merit in these situations.

It is interesting that the Hogs came back from that to win by 2, and Kansas was catching 2 1/2 points. I had Arkansas and was giving the points. But I'm not bitter. Well, not much.
Caballo
All-American

Postby GHammond » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:06 pm

Not sure they still require this class at Arkie U, but a friend of mine who was there in the 70’s - 80’s shared that there was a Refs Blaming 101 class in the Humanities Dept....and a 200 series class called Peter Pan Syndrome.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby Arkpony » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:37 pm

GHammond nic reminds me that when Gary Hammond was our QB, the Razorback football team voted him as the best and toughest QB they faced.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Arkpony » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:11 pm

Watching the Texas Washington game, it’s easy to believe the refs are favoring Texas (as they did when SMU played them) so far they overlooked a clear pass interference call (defender was holding the receivers shoulder) and no call when the Washington player fair catching the punt was run into and knocked down.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:18 pm

Alabama playing like a team with a chip on their shoulder and blowing K-State out just like Tennessee did to Clemson last night. I think either of those teams could have competed for the title if they had made the Final Four and may well be among the best 4 teams in the country. I think I read somewhere that Tennessee had by far the largest collective for NIL purposes so they aren't going away any time soon. Expanding the playoffs to 12 teams is going to be good for college football.

It will be interesting to see if TCU can compete with Michigan today. Seems like most "experts" think Ohio State is better than Michigan and that tonight's game vs Georgia is really the championship game but all I can say is that Michigan went into Columbus and whipped the Buckeyes to earn their spot and as far as I'm concerned TCU is getting an opportunity to show what they can do against the best team the Big 10 has to offer.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:58 pm

Bored awaiting the Michigan/TCU game and looking at bowl results so far. I know it's all about matchups but Big 10 remains undefeated at 4-0 with 5 teams still to play their games. Big XII is 1-6 with TCU still alive. PAC 12 is 3-2 with 2 teams yet to play their games. AAC is 3-3 with Tulane yet to play (should be noted that the departing teams went 1-3 with UCF and Cincy showing poorly although the latter was dealing with a coaching change and we can attest to how that goes). SunBelt is looking good as they finished 4-1 although I admit I'm not sure who is in the SunBelt vs CUSA these days so that might be wrong but suffice it to say the SunBelt has really made some noise the past 2 seasons. The mighty SEC is 3-5 with 3 teams yet to play and MWC went 4-4 and ACC went 5-4 with it's champion Clemson getting whipped by Tennessee who was probably the 2nd best team in the SEC (Alabama might dispute this)

Missed the boat on SunBelt comments above

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... ll-playoff
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:01 pm

So the question is: Do we pull for TCU to win, be competitive or get curb stomped by Michigan? I know I've got some nervous in-laws in Michigan and the consensus is nobody really knows what to make of this TCU team.

Don't know that I really care but I do not want a Michigan/Ohio State rematch for the title. Michigan went into Columbus and beat Ohio State convincingly so the Buckeyes do not deserve a rematch
Charleston Pony

Postby BUS » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:26 pm

So far, three ref abuses of the toads.

Their d is doing well.
Go toads
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:50 pm

TCU proving they belong. I'm jealous
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:58 pm

I was wrong about the toads not about how bad their conference is though. They’re beating a Michigan team that had been solid all year long. Shows you what god leadership can do. Sadly for SMU they’re showing what could have been for SMU with good leadership (academically and with the athletic department).
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:33 pm

Did not take long for Michigan to get right back in this game. Duggan is going to have to work his magic for toads to hang on but I expect Michigan defense to key on his running because he's not that accurate a passer and is not getting much help from his WRs
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:39 pm

Just as I say Duggan is not the most accurate, he throws a perfect deep ball to help TCU regain momentum and they just run over Michigan to get the lead back to 12. Very entertaining game
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUguy » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:54 pm

Forget the names on the backs of the jerseys. If you knew nothing about either QB or either team, and were watching both for the first time, would you want Duggan or McCarthy?

I don't care if TCU wins the whole thing (yes I do -- I'll puke), but by the eyeball test, it's clearly McCarthy.

Also, this game is making me sick.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football