PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lashlee is a riverboat gambling IDIOT!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Lashlee is a riverboat gambling IDIOT!

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:13 am

smubrooks wrote:Going for 2 was a good call. The play called was HORRIBLE

Yep.

With how many injuries we were having on that field, going for two was the absolute correct call.

The play call, after three timeouts on top of it, was definitely horrible.
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:30 am

I was okay with going for it because we had the momentum and were banged up. The 3 timeouts killed the momentum and the play called was a terrible choice.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Vitale » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:14 pm

Earlier in the season, maybe you give the ball to Lavine and let him power his way in, but it looked last night like he was in pain from head to toe. Personally, I would have tried a jump ball to either Kerley (did he get hurt on his TD?) or Maryland.

But going for it in a game that doesn't impact standings: right call.
Vitale
All-American

Postby DC-Pony » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:01 pm

I support going for 2 in that situation. But it seems reasonable that reasonable minds could disagree on this one.

Any play called that leads to an unsuccessful try is not likely to please fans. That play required the right tackle to standup the DE to the right for less than 2 seconds, and that didn’t happen, forcing Mordecai to have to go outside.

I wanted the win badly for Tanner and the team.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:50 pm

I actually think the play call was ok. Mordeci runs better than people think. It was just executed very poorly by the line.
gostangs

Postby MDJenkins » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:01 pm

The guys competed and came back to make it an exciting game. Remember that BYU had a lot more starters out and played with a second string QB. Maybe Lashlee got tired standing on the sideline freezing his butt off and that’s why he didn’t want to go to OT. It was a cold night and i froze too!
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby jpe747 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:10 pm

Going for two was absolutely the right choice. And if reports are true, I don’t think the play called was all that bad. What would you call? All of your running backs are hurt. Your OL is full of injured players or playing out of position. I would think the best choices were a pass on a very cold and unfavorable day, or a running play by qb, or perhaps put a wr in at rb. No good choices. Pick one.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:45 am

RT Owen Condon missed his block, his man got free to the inside. Tanner was going to walk in between the right guard and RT, when Owen let his man get inside. Tanner had no choice but attempt to go outside, where the safety protecting against a slant from Moochie, had time to move in and drop Tanner like a sack of potatoes. Rhett said pretty much the same thing in his interview. Watch the replay and you'll see. We were very limited with skill players for that play, Bam Bam could barely walk, Kerley got injured on his TD catch and couldn't return, Daniels got hurt on his last catch and couldn't return. Tanner had 3 options, the stack on the left was covered up, Moochie was on the far right, with a corner over him to guard against the fade and a safety lined up inside, to take away a slant to Moochie. As Rhett said, Tanner had 3 options and picked the correct one. If #74 had done his job, we would be finally celebrating a Bowl victory and how gutsy Rhett Lashlee is for going for the knockout punch. BYU had a 3 man front, #56 center Hickman blocked the nose tackle, #51 RG Osborne blocked the middle linebacker...all #74 had to do, was turn his man for one more second and it would have been an easy walk in score. It's a shame Tanner's Mustang career, ended the way it did...it should've been a glorious moment. In the video below, watch the play a few times. The receiver stack at the bottom was covered, Moochie at the top was covered, it was set up for a perfect call and score...all it takes is one man to cause it to fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uRwy_sRbg0
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mrydel » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:50 am

One earlier missed block provided a 10 or 14 point swing in points that could have eliminated the need for the 2 point attempt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby docabel » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:36 am

Loved going for 2.

Hated the play call.

We were down to the walking wounded on the O line and with our red zone efficiency this year.

What I would have liked to see was the play we ran to Kerley a couple of times inside the 5. He was split out on wide side of field - came in motion to the formation - snapped when he was moving - took 2 steps on an inside slant and cut back out in the flat
docabel
Heisman

Postby PK » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:33 pm

docabel wrote:Loved going for 2.

Hated the play call.

We were down to the walking wounded on the O line and with our red zone efficiency this year.

What I would have liked to see was the play we ran to Kerley a couple of times inside the 5. He was split out on wide side of field - came in motion to the formation - snapped when he was moving - took 2 steps on an inside slant and cut back out in the flat

Read ALEX LIFESON post above.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:04 pm

JasonB wrote:82 was hurt and playing through it, and we were down to a WR at RB.

When did Maryland get hurt?

What happened to TJ McDaniel? Even though he entered the portal, he said he was going to play in the bowl game. 3-5 carries for him during the game could have saved the other RBs a few hits.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:38 pm

It looked to me like the blocking was set up inside, and TM took outside route where he only had one blocker and a bunch of Cougars. He may have simply picked the wrong hole.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PK » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:30 pm

EastStang wrote:It looked to me like the blocking was set up inside, and TM took outside route where he only had one blocker and a bunch of Cougars. He may have simply picked the wrong hole.

Read ALEX LIFESON post above.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby DallasMustang11 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:38 pm

Glenn Sosbee wrote:Anybody that thinks “going for the win” tonight was the right thing to do when all we needed was an extra point to go to OT will continue to suffer.
I will no longer choose that option. I’m officially done. Can’t do it anymore.

Totally disagree. With how many players we were down the chance of getting the 2 was much higher than beating BYU in OT. Now I have my questions about the play call but saying that playing for OT was 100% the right decision is being a captive to the moment imo. If we had successfully gotten the 2 you would not have the same opinion.
DallasMustang11
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Football