PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lashlee is a riverboat gambling IDIOT!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Lashlee is a riverboat gambling IDIOT!

Postby JasonB » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:28 pm

Alaex Lifeson is 100% accurate. The other decision would be to throw out to the flat, we had 4 versus 3. But 75 missed the block, which is what unfortunately happens when two other linemen go out injured and 75 has to come back in the game and play hurt. I hate that his career ended on that play. But that was a preview of what OT would have looked like with all of the injuries.

Plus, the players were absolutely excited to go for 2, the sideline was really into it. It was the right call all the way around. In a bowl game, the players opinion really does matter. And personally, I love playing to win.

As one of the folks I was talking to at the hotel bar after the game said, in the past, after going down 14, SMU would have put their heads down and been done. This team fought back. Extremely proud of the effort shown by the team and the culture that the staff instilled.

Everyone needs to find a way to get out to the bowl game next year. It's a great experience, and when you talk with the parents of the players you really appreciate SMU even more than you ever did before.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:50 pm

I shared my thoughts above about the choice to go for 2 (I thought it was a good choice, but that reasonable minds could disagree).

For the record, though, I really object to the wording of the subject of this discussion thread. Let’s all keep things respectful of each other and our team.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby PonyPhan » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:15 pm

I really appreciate Alex’s post. Watched the last play video several times. It unfolded just as it was described. It was open, missed block. Did not agree with the decision and especially the play call at the time. But after reading this board, it all makes sense and I see the light. That is why I like this board so much.
PonyPhan

Postby peruna81 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:18 pm

PonyPhan wrote:I really appreciate Alex’s post. Watched the last play video several times. It unfolded just as it was described. It was open, missed block. Did not agree with the decision and especially the play call at the time. But after reading this board, it all makes sense and I see the light. That is why I like this board so much.

Welcome aboard...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:25 am

JasonB wrote:Alaex Lifeson is 100% accurate. The other decision would be to throw out to the flat, we had 4 versus 3. But 75 missed the block, which is what unfortunately happens when two other linemen go out injured and 75 has to come back in the game and play hurt. I hate that his career ended on that play. But that was a preview of what OT would have looked like with all of the injuries.

Plus, the players were absolutely excited to go for 2, the sideline was really into it. It was the right call all the way around. In a bowl game, the players opinion really does matter. And personally, I love playing to win.

As one of the folks I was talking to at the hotel bar after the game said, in the past, after going down 14, SMU would have put their heads down and been done. This team fought back. Extremely proud of the effort shown by the team and the culture that the staff instilled.

Everyone needs to find a way to get out to the bowl game next year. It's a great experience, and when you talk with the parents of the players you really appreciate SMU even more than you ever did before.

Thanks Jason. For clarity, it was RT #74 that missed the block, not 75. I've noticed a few people say that we should've run the bubble screen, to Austin Upshaw #23 in the bottom of the stack. BYU was prepared for that play. Notice #92 for BYU, lined up shaded just to the inside of Gage #89. His job was to get in the passing lane and blow up a possible bubble screen. Watch, as soon as the ball is snapped, he bolts unimpeded into the would be passing lane to Upshaw, until he see's Tanner tuck the ball. The bubble screen would have been a disaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uRwy_sRbg0
ALEX LIFESON

Postby EastStang » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:26 am

One other thought, although it would have telegraphed things perhaps a wildcat formation with both Tanner and Jennings in the backfield. Jennings speed might have made the corner if the draw wasn't available. Sorry for the Tuesday morning QBing.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PNW_Stang » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:28 am

As soon as we lined up all cute, I knew there was zero chance we made that 2 point conversion.

We were dominating the 4th. Should have gone to OT. I have it a very small chance we got in the end zone on the 2 point conversion.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby PNW_Stang » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:29 am

Glenn Sosbee wrote:After 4 decades of heartache, I’m officially done and over it.
The whole athletic department from top to bottom can kiss my [deleted].

I have felt this way since November 2021. I’m kind of in the who cares camp. I live a mile from the stadium and went to one game this year. Better things to do on weekends.

I was randomly in Farmington, NM last weekend and could have driven to the game. Knew there was no point so fished the San Juan tailwater instead. Much better experience, one 20” brown, a dozen rainbows, and lost something that felt like a log.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:39 pm

EastStang wrote:One other thought, although it would have telegraphed things perhaps a wildcat formation with both Tanner and Jennings in the backfield. Jennings speed might have made the corner if the draw wasn't available. Sorry for the Tuesday morning QBing.

That's what I was thinking, too. With BYU calling those timeouts, maybe we could have slipped Jennings into the backfield.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Webmaster » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:59 pm

PNW_Stang wrote:I live a mile from the stadium and went to one game this year. Better things to do on weekends.

Tough crowd...

Over the last 2 years, you would have seen a bad loss to Tulsa, a close loss to Top-5 TCU and ranked Cinci this year. That's it. Otherwise, a bunch of wins at home including hanging 77 on Cougar High. The Ponies are tough to beat at home. Shame that you missed all that, especially since it was all within easy walking distance.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:00 pm

Webmaster wrote:
PNW_Stang wrote:I live a mile from the stadium and went to one game this year. Better things to do on weekends.

Tough crowd...

Over the last 2 years, you would have seen a bad loss to Tulsa, a close loss to Top-5 TCU and ranked Cinci this year. That's it. Otherwise, a bunch of wins at home including hanging 77 on Cougar High. The Ponies are tough to beat at home. Shame that you missed all that, especially since it was all within easy walking distance.

Webmaster,

I agree. There are days that Ponyfans posts are discouraging for me with the Negative Nellies. Given our recent success and progress, I for one feel we have passed through the valley of darkness and should be both encouraged and celebrating where we are now.

Our many generous donors and posters on this site have been sources of encouragement for me. The possibility that we are a likely candidate for PAC-12 expansion is a reflection of this, as well as our emphasis on Dallas, non-stop flight connection to DFW / Love Field, and the fertile recruiting ground of North Texas.

To suggest that we should be fed up is backwards and ignores ow much we have progressed.

Pony Up
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:59 pm

Good thing Garry Weber isn't fed up.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:31 pm

it's that whole expectations thing...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:17 pm

peruna81 wrote:it's that whole expectations thing...

It's good to have them again, at least for football. This year's basketball team on the other hand...
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:45 pm

PNW_Stang wrote:
Glenn Sosbee wrote:I was randomly in Farmington, NM last weekend and could have driven to the game. Knew there was no point so fished the San Juan tailwater instead. Much better experience, one 20” brown, a dozen rainbows, and lost something that felt like a log.

Good time of year to be on the San Juan. Texas Hole?
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Football