PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why TCU and Tulane? Why Not SMU?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why TCU and Tulane? Why Not SMU?

Postby laxdawg97 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:29 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:TCu is becoming a destination of choice for both recruits and transfers. The difference between our football program and theirs will only increase from here. It’s very disappointing all the wasted opportunities we’ve had. As far as Tulane, who here wouldn’t trade our last twenty years for the season they just had now? Their momentum is trending way up and ours is flat to declining…

TCU is reaping the benefits of a full generation-plus of donor-driven leadership by folks who refused to accepted administrator excuses. They got serious at a time when SMU was just happy to have a high school caliber stadium on campus.

Prime example: https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/J ... s/TCU.aspx

Beyond the stadium - which is far ahead of where SMU will be even post-Weber complex - Gary Patterson knew he could count on donors for other investments that didn't come with a plaque. Yeah, he had to agree to the stupid statue, but irrational check writers like Fertitta and Boone Pickens and the Ishbia guy at Michigan State are what catapult programs forward rather than letting nature take its course. If SMU has them, they need to be (re-)engaged and activated, which may only be possible with new leadership that hasn't pissed them off.

Bottom line, if SMU's biggest stakeholders want the same outcome as TCU, they will match the commitment and show that SMU doesn't have to choose between football, basketball, and academics.
laxdawg97
Scout Team

Postby redpony » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:34 pm

laxdawg97 wrote:
Bottom line, if SMU's biggest stakeholders want the same outcome as TCU, they will match the commitment and show that SMU doesn't have to choose between football, basketball, and academics.

As well as not accepting sub-standard leadership at both the presidential and a.d. level.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:08 pm

laxdawg97 wrote:TCU is reaping the benefits of a full generation-plus of donor-driven leadership by folks who refused to accepted administrator excuses. They got serious at a time when SMU was just happy to have a high school caliber stadium on campus.

Prime example: https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/J ... s/TCU.aspx

Beyond the stadium - which is far ahead of where SMU will be even post-Weber complex - Gary Patterson knew he could count on donors for other investments that didn't come with a plaque. Yeah, he had to agree to the stupid statue, but irrational check writers like Fertitta and Boone Pickens and the Ishbia guy at Michigan State are what catapult programs forward rather than letting nature take its course. If SMU has them, they need to be (re-)engaged and activated, which may only be possible with new leadership that hasn't pissed them off.

I remember years ago when I heard a story that JJ and Peter Weyand (our world famous biomechanics guy) went to tour some high end IPF somewhere. They came up with a plan to build the IPF (probably where now tennis is) with a running track that had like a 70meter force plate. Weyand said it would be the greatest technological tool he had ever had access to. The theory was that you would have a facility and technology to lure every football kid in the country on campus for a world class running evaluation / camp. Weyand could do studies with it on high level athletes and gain major recognition for SMU (he's already a household name in biomechanics and all he has now is an old horse treadmill for people to run on).

There was a whole giant story/vision to this. The result was that SMU began a "feasibility study", the IPF took another decade, and Peter Weyand's office still looks like the waiting area to pickup a missed package delivery at the post office.

(I await the "yea but June didn't want to cross the street!" posts)
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Why TCU and Tulane? Why Not SMU?

Postby mrydel » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:25 pm

Yeah, but June did not want to cross the street.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyTime » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:52 pm

I read somewhere that Ed Cox was one of the biggest supporters of SMU athletics in the 80s.

Heard a rumor he was one of the ones on the dirty list that could not be around the program for all those years following NCAA sanctions.

Did he leave anything to SMU athletic department when he passed recently or did it all go to Cox School or elsewhere?

Was he even allowed to donate to SMU sports following NCAA penalties?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:34 pm

Congratulations to both TCU for their win over Michigan and Tulane for their win over USC. They were both exciting games and I am just a lot jealous.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:29 pm

While we are congratulating TCU and Sonny Dykes - A few more Congrats that I would like to add while we are at it . . .

Congratulations to Victor "The Merchant of Death" Bout on his recent release from prison
Congratulations to O.J. on his not guilty verdict
Congratulations to Putin on his invasion of the Ukrane
A belated congratulations to Charles Manson on the release of his CD
Congratulations to the Ayatollah Khomeini on offering those Americans a great place to stay when the US embassy burned down
Congratulations to the Germans on their successful bombing of Pearl harbor.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:40 pm

I heard on the radio that Luka and JKidd will be in the TCU AD’s box for the game. #DallasTeam
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony78 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:29 pm

mtrout wrote:I heard on the radio that Luka and JKidd will be in the TCU AD’s box for the game. #DallasTeam

Not too surprising especially when you learn that Barley House, which I assumed was SMU bar HQ, was flying a Tcwho flag. Sheeple-a breed up for a new band wagon any place and anytime.
Pony78
Recruit

Postby PerunaPunch » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:39 pm

ponyboy wrote:A little harsh. Lashlee did reverse the trend of losing later in the season. And his transfer recruiting improved on the previous regime, despite the drop in conference attractiveness. I’d give him a B overall.

The folks who keep on harping about the late season meltdowns under Dykes are just looking at stats as opposed to knowing much about the team and the conference. It seems like for the last several seasons, with the exception of TCU and the true meltdown against Tulsa last year, we start each season agains out-of-conference scrubs, followed by the easier in-conference opponents next, and we finish against the teams that are generally in contention for the AAC title.

So I think the late season losses the last couple of years are more indicative of when we're playing the better teams. This year was the opposite with Maryland, TCU and UCF early.

This year, I think we were a different team after TCU with Mordecai's broken rib(s) and Rice's broken toe. Some will correctly point out that we should have more quality depth, and that's the difference between good teams and great teams. But in addition to losing two of the best players in the conference, we had a rash of other injuries esp at the skill positions.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the one big flop we had this year was UCF, which followed the physical loss to TCU.

I also don't think people give enough credit for the loss of Turner Coxe. Our DLine would have been much better, especially early, if he hadn't medically retired.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby laxdawg97 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:37 pm

SMUstang wrote:Congratulations to both TCU for their win over Michigan and Tulane for their win over USC. They were both exciting games and I am just a lot jealous.

https://twitter.com/SXMCollege/status/1 ... 7997135872

Wild stat, even if you call BS and drop a zero....

How much is a National Championship appearance worth?

According to @KrisBudden, TCU conducted a study and determined the value of the national media exposure resulting from their CFP run to be worth $2.3 billion
laxdawg97
Scout Team

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:46 pm

That study is nuts. If it means the cost it would be worth to have that publicity, still don’t buy it, but to say its value incremental is so far fetched. You’d have to drop multiple zeros. Whoever did that study probably didn’t go to an accredited school.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:52 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:That study is nuts. If it means the cost it would be worth to have that publicity, still don’t buy it, but to say its value incremental is so far fetched. You’d have to drop multiple zeros. Whoever did that study probably didn’t go to an accredited school.

That's first stage of grief thinking. I thought we were past that lol
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:30 pm

Haha I love you guys.
One Trick Pony

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:07 pm

Whinerville.
ponyboy