PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why TCU and Tulane? Why Not SMU?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why TCU and Tulane? Why Not SMU?

Postby Peruna88 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:03 pm

Peruna88
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:58 pm

A little harsh. Lashlee did reverse the trend of losing later in the season. And his transfer recruiting improved on the previous regime, despite the drop in conference attractiveness. I’d give him a B overall.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:51 pm

B+
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:53 pm

ponyboy wrote:A little harsh. Lashlee did reverse the trend of losing later in the season. And his transfer recruiting improved on the previous regime, despite the drop in conference attractiveness. I’d give him a B overall.

I think it is spot on. We were mediocre with a talented roster. He needs to improve and probably will.
mustangxc

Postby EastStang » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:42 pm

Was Lavine hurt at the beginning of the year? With him in the lineup, we might have won a couple of those close early losses certainly Maryland where we got stuffed on several 4th and 1's. But once he got in the swing of things, I thought he did a good job. Defense was suspect and that was a talent issue not a game plan issue. The other big half of the job is recruiting. He did well to keep most of his team when Sonny walked, and he did well in the portal this year. So, I would give him an A for recruiting and a B- for game coaching.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SMUstang » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:23 am

Trying hard not to be a wet blanket, but if SMU were to ever win a conference championship, they have had ample opportunity and have never produced. It looks like they never will, never keeping a decent head coach who actually motivates his players. Hopefully that will change, but as long as there are P5 opportunities out there, I doubt it.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:04 pm

TCu is becoming a destination of choice for both recruits and transfers. The difference between our football program and theirs will only increase from here. It’s very disappointing all the wasted opportunities we’ve had. As far as Tulane, who here wouldn’t trade our last twenty years for the season they just had now? Their momentum is trending way up and ours is flat to declining…
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:20 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:TCu is becoming a destination of choice for both recruits and transfers. The difference between our football program and theirs will only increase from here. It’s very disappointing all the wasted opportunities we’ve had. As far as Tulane, who here wouldn’t trade our last twenty years for the season they just had now? Their momentum is trending way up and ours is flat to declining…

Except that we are working to upgrade the roster. If you aren't part of the collective, get in and do whatever you can to help
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:15 am

In the past i would agree with you Maroons, but CP is correct.

We are taking the decision making out of the hands of our incompetent administration and placing it in the wallets of our successful alumni.

we had the highest ranked G5 football portal class last year and this year is even better.

we can and i think will buy our way to success
SoCal_Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:46 am

RGT and Little Ricky.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:06 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:In the past i would agree with you Maroons, but CP is correct.

We are taking the decision making out of the hands of our incompetent administration and placing it in the wallets of our successful alumni.

we had the highest ranked G5 football portal class last year and this year is even better.

Yes. Accurate description of what’s happening.
ponyboy

Postby BUS » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:50 am

Contact@ponysportsdtx.com

Mustang Club, BVLD Spot, Tailgate, Tickets - All to SMU

Extra Money goes to NIL group listed above.

We know how to do this. LEGALLY.

Who would not like the connections and business opportunity that Dallas offers. Kevin Jennings might be Mayor some Day. Stay and get that first-class education and start working to improve yourself and the city. Dallas has a lot to offer!

Mustang Militia!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby mtrout » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:28 am

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:TCu is becoming a destination of choice for both recruits and transfers. The difference between our football program and theirs will only increase from here. It’s very disappointing all the wasted opportunities we’ve had. As far as Tulane, who here wouldn’t trade our last twenty years for the season they just had now? Their momentum is trending way up and ours is flat to declining…

TCU has pulled in multiple huge transfers from Alabama. We're competing in the G5 pool sadly.

SoCal_Pony wrote:In the past i would agree with you Maroons, but CP is correct.

"taking the decision making out of the hands of our incompetent administration" is the core of our problem. Always friction. Always.
You know RGT is in meetings with Hart like "Rick you better keep a handle on this NIL before it gets out of hand". Rhett is like "F, someone promised Mr.X $50,000 and now..." etc etc. The women's soccer team is like "football gets $30k. we only get Jocko Mölk protein drinks and we made the AAC title game."
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:43 pm

We are SMU, get used to it.

New AD/President would help.
Pony ^

Postby SMUstang » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:52 pm

SMU is in Dallas, but Dallas does not relate to SMU. It is viewed as a rich kids school. Witness SMU's attendance or lack of it. You would think that being in Dallas would be an asset, but not in SMU's case unless you are an alumni. In spite of the cost, the Cowboys are Dallas' team. Thanks to corporate sponsorship. Blaming Turner and Hart and G5 status for SMU's problems is not the answer.
SMUstang
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football