PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Defense

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Defense

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:32 am

It seems we are not the only ones with tackling issues. From an article in The Athletic:

Riley’s first USC team mimicked his best Oklahoma teams in many ways, from the Heisman QB to the week-after-week shootouts to an absolutely dreadful defense. The Trojans finished 124th out of 131 FBS teams in yards per play (allowed 6.53). In both the Pac-12 title game and Cotton Bowl they looked like they’d never practiced tackling the entire season. At the very least, Riley will need to consider parting with Alex Grinch, his defensive coordinator since 2019.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Re: SMU Defense

Postby Vitale » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:01 pm

Many teams - most? - do very little tackling during the season. It's often (not always, of course) more like "run up and hug" before the whistle blows. Plus, in the case of USC and SMU, you're talking about new coaching staffs, so it's more than possible that a larger portion of spring was spent introducing system concepts than doing physical drills. Didn't Coach Symons say there will be more tackling next spring? I think he did.
Vitale
All-American

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:14 am

Vitale wrote:Many teams - most? - do very little tackling during the season. It's often (not always, of course) more like "run up and hug" before the whistle blows. Plus, in the case of USC and SMU, you're talking about new coaching staffs, so it's more than possible that a larger portion of spring was spent introducing system concepts than doing physical drills. Didn't Coach Symons say there will be more tackling next spring? I think he did.

I think much more emphasis on both tackling in practice and also depth to allow more tackling and less red jerseys practicing.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:05 pm

JasonB wrote:
Vitale wrote:Many teams - most? - do very little tackling during the season. It's often (not always, of course) more like "run up and hug" before the whistle blows. Plus, in the case of USC and SMU, you're talking about new coaching staffs, so it's more than possible that a larger portion of spring was spent introducing system concepts than doing physical drills. Didn't Coach Symons say there will be more tackling next spring? I think he did.

I think much more emphasis on both tackling in practice and also depth to allow more tackling and less red jerseys practicing.

Yes, and...getting more players that naturally play and tackle with aggression. For instance, Ahmaad Moses is noticeably a better tackler, as a true freshman, than any other player we had in 2022 in our defensive secondary, and probably better than any of our LBs. He demonstrates a DESIRE to hit and stop guys cold in their tracks, in addition to good technique.

That is not to minimize importance of the the practice part, both in terms of learning and honing the technique, and because I believe tackling well is sort of like getting used to the cold weather....you may have it in you to operate in a robust way in the cold, but if you've been hanging out in warm weather for a while it is a transition. Maybe with more emphasis on tackling in practice we'll be pleasantly surprised to find that more of our players have that "dog" in them needed to be a great defender than we thought. Maybe.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby Specktaker » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:22 am

The best tackling defense I have ever seen was a few years ago with Cincinnati. I think it was one of the first Covid games at Ford when we played them. It was lock down tackling. We didn’t have a chance. Notre Dame subsequently then locked down Marcus Freeman because they saw the same thing. Most likely it was personnel but coaching had be a factor. It’s skill with a mindset.
Specktaker

Postby Water Pony » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:59 pm

AP: Atypical Defense Takes TCU to National Title Game

3-3-5

https://apnews.com/article/3ec2805de54e ... 453abdc13a
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Silk » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:44 am

Specktaker wrote:The best tackling defense I have ever seen was a few years ago with Cincinnati. I think it was one of the first Covid games at Ford when we played them. It was lock down tackling. We didn’t have a chance. Notre Dame subsequently then locked down Marcus Freeman because they saw the same thing. Most likely it was personnel but coaching had be a factor. It’s skill with a mindset.

Some of both, as I recall. Yes, the coaching definitely was good, but that defense was absolutely stacked with stud players, too.
Silk
Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:19 pm

Silk wrote:
Specktaker wrote:The best tackling defense I have ever seen was a few years ago with Cincinnati. I think it was one of the first Covid games at Ford when we played them. It was lock down tackling. We didn’t have a chance. Notre Dame subsequently then locked down Marcus Freeman because they saw the same thing. Most likely it was personnel but coaching had be a factor. It’s skill with a mindset.

Some of both, as I recall. Yes, the coaching definitely was good, but that defense was absolutely stacked with stud players, too.

Their defense last year was amazing. When we played them up here in Cinci it was almost criminal what they did to our offense.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:51 pm

Water Pony wrote:AP: Atypical Defense Takes TCU to National Title Game

3-3-5

https://apnews.com/article/3ec2805de54e ... 453abdc13a

That's the defense we need to play. Need the personnel of course.
ojaipony

Return to Football