PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

National Championship

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who are you pulling for?

TCU
32%
UGA
68%

Total votes : 57

Re: National Championship

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:45 am

TCU now holds the record for the most lopsided and embarrassing national championship game. Way to go Sonny!
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:49 am

As I said earlier I was torn. I wanted TCU to make a decent showing to show we were deserving of a P5 bid since we gave them a scare. I don't like repeat National Champions. On the other hand my wife has kin in Georgia. So, as the score ran up, my thought was, I can't take my eyes off of this. Like watching a car wreck. Glad to see Sonny get embarrassed. Georgia is stacked. I am glad that it wasn't Alabama in the finals, they had their shot and blew it. Ohio State got a bad seeding because they didn't want a semi-final rematch of OSU and Michigan. TCU should have been the 4 seed. Congrats to the Bulldogs for their repeat. They are stacked and could make it a threepeat next year.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:53 am

Hop Sing wrote:The 18 supposed SMU fans that voted for the frogs should be ashamed of themselves! TCU didn’t belong in the playoffs, and that was proven tonight. Michigan [deleted] the bed last week and gave TCU the opportunity to embarrass themselves on the national stage. The Big 12 was week as water this year, and the frogs caught lightning in a bottle. I just wish Georgia had gone ahead and scored

I am not ashamed of disliking Georgia (I have my reasons) and hoping TCU would give them a game (they didn't). I haven't liked TCU for 56 years and that won't change.

However, I am not a fan of purity tests.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:09 am

To each his own I guess. I’m not a Georgia or SEC fan, and I wasn’t cheering for them, I was cheering for exactly what happened in that game to the frogs. There would have been zero positives for SMU if TCU had won or even been able to make it a game. The reality they are now facing is, if Sonny continues to win then he will jump at the first big time offer that comes his way. They will be longing for the Gary Patterson days very soon, win or lose.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby BIGHORSE » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:21 am

Hop Sing wrote:To each his own I guess. I’m not a Georgia or SEC fan, and I wasn’t cheering for them, I was cheering for exactly what happened in that game to the frogs. There would have been zero positives for SMU if TCU had won or even been able to make it a game. The reality they are now facing is, if Sonny continues to win then he will jump at the first big time offer that comes his way. They will be longing for the Gary Patterson days very soon, win or lose.

Totally agree, Sonny the Snake brought in a lot of transfers, but also had a lot

of talent already there, he was also going to start Chad Jr. before injury, Sonny will

be gone when Big State U. calls, at least Fatterson would have retired there.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:43 am

BIGHORSE wrote: Sonny will

In spite of all his negative points at least GP had the loyalty to not run off when higher dollars presented themselves. Sonny the snake will run at any good offer.
redpony

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:46 pm

Could’nt pull for Georgia. I still hurt from a 24 - 9 loss to them in the Cotton Bowl Classic in 1966. SMU was #9 in the nation and I was a 14 year old kid with Jerry Levias, and Mac White as my favorite players.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:11 pm

Hop Sing wrote:TCU now holds the record for the most lopsided and embarrassing national championship game. Way to go Sonny!

TCU lost two games and won 5 by one score. Now with Duggan gone, no way they pull out that many wins next year. Sonny built a House of Cards. He needs to take whater offer he can get from a prestige conference and get out of town now that the Big 12 is a diminished brand. He is a sleaze from day one and TCU will never catch lightening in a bottle again.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby docabel » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:16 pm

Paladin wrote:Ha ha ha ha Dykes ! 38 - 7 at halftime

Looks like a complete lack of coaching preparation to me

And this year it's not because he is spending all his time recruting/negotiating/working for another school at the same time....
docabel
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:15 pm

We know he took a run at Stone and Stone turned him down. He'll sink or swim with Chad, Jr. Five NFL coaches got canned. You know that some P5 coaches will be moving up. Had Dykes won, the NFL might have come calling, but now, he'll have to stay at TCU for awhile.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:22 pm

Reversion to the mean hopefully for Dykes. Even though they benefited this year from probably their best recruiting class ever (riding the momentum of their miraculous wins), their record was illusory (as someone mentioned before so many close games, come from behind games, very weak conference). A few data points:

- B12 bowl record this season: 2-7 (including the victory over Michigan). Texas Tech I believe was the other winning team. It was a pathetically weak conference
- Dykes record at Berkeley - In his four seasons as Cal head coach, the Bears posted a 19-30 record, including 1-11 in 2013
- this is the biggest beatdown in a national championship game and it's not even close. The toads' loss to the bulldogs yielded a 58-pt differential. The next closest one is 38 points (almost three decades ago, back in '95 when Nebraska beat up Florida by 38 points)

A very enjoyable game to watch yesterday indeed!
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:29 pm

One year does not make a coach into a superstar but Sonny has had some success everywhere he has been. La Tech improved year over year in his 3 seasons there, Cal went from doormat to at least being competitive and SMU went from mediocre to slightly better mediocre. He caught lightning in a bottle at TCU this year and I agree it will be really difficult to improve on this season's results, even with Texas and OU gone but I'm sure he's feeling pretty good about having moved on from SMU. We'll see how TCU fans and administration respond if they fall to the middle of the pack in the Big XII but my guess is that Sonny will stick at TCU as long as they will have him.

Would he be tempted by a Texas Tech offer at some point in the future? Who knows? If TCU continues to compete for Big XII championships year after year and Texas was to come calling with megabucks, would he bolt? Who knows?

Except for when we line up against the frogs every year, Sonny is now just an afterthought. I just want SMU to improve under Lashlee to the point that we are beating TCU more often than not and for SMU to be competing for conference championships in whatever conference we are playing in. If it's the AAC, I expect Tulane, Memphis, ECU and UTSA to be formidable opponents and there will unlikely be others who step up and have strong seasons. Pony up and let's keep bringing in talent that will help us accomplish those things...and it would be nice if this program could attract more butts to the seats in Ford Stadium on game days!
Charleston Pony

Postby crispy_taco » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:55 pm

I think Tech had to have made a run at dykes last year right?? Seemed to me Dykes had offers from Tech and TCU and he chose TCU. Speculative on my part though.

I also think Sark has to be on the hot seat this season. Feel like he has to get at least 8 wins. Sark also had that embarrassing meltdown in the tunnel before the bowl game a week or two ago. I suspect Texas may be open around this time next year. Dykes would probably be the top target unless they can coax Urban to Austin

Heck just remembered OU. Things can obviously turn around in the second year, but Venables does not seem to have the head coaching chops. Dykes proved that winning is very possible in year 1 so leashes have to be getting shorter.

However, this season was highly fraudulent ever since that Oklahoma state game. I mean Baylor, oke state, and K state should have been losses in the regular season. Crossing my fingers that the birds come home to roost for the frogs next season. I will be HAMMERING the TCU win total under. Hopefully the mustangs and Deion's buffs make that happen with non conference early season losses
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby PNW_Stang » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:41 pm

redpony wrote:

In spite of all his negative points at least GP had the loyalty to not run off when higher dollars presented themselves. Sonny the snake will run at any good offer.

GP even went to the game and cheered for TCU last night. And did you see the recent interview where he teared up? He’s still loyal.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby BIGHORSE » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:54 am

PNW_Stang wrote:
redpony wrote:

GP even went to the game and cheered for TCU last night. And did you see the recent interview where he teared up? He’s still loyal.

I'm surprised at that, I thought he might be bitter thinking that should be him having
that success, sounds like he would go back if there was ever a chance.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football