PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

National Championship

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who are you pulling for?

TCU
32%
UGA
68%

Total votes : 57

Re: National Championship

Postby FroggieFever » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:24 pm

redpony wrote:
mtrout wrote:Interesting article. Lots of examples about how the chancellor(s) and provost(s) made it happen over a long period of time. That's really where it's at.

And to add insult to injury one of those primarily involved was a former SMU student- Bill Koehler. IIIRC he was something like assoc. Provost etc. He was the one who also recommended Gary Patterson for coach.

Great memory. Koehler single-handedly convinced the Admin and Board to go with Gary.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby PNW_Stang » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:43 pm

PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby orguy » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:18 am

peruna81 wrote:Baylor, TCU or UT...never.

My sentiments.
orguy
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:42 am

This poll appears to show 2 schools of thought. There's the "I'm for SMU and whoever is playing TCU" and the "I pull for SMU and after we play them, I pull for all of our opponents to be successful so we feel better about how tough our schedule was". I used to be the former but I'm coming around to the latter school of thought.

I don't expect it to happen but would like to see "little ole TCU" upset one of Goliaths of the big bad SEC, especially after most of the country thinks Georgia vs Ohio State was the real national championship game (will admit it may have been).
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:24 am

mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby docabel » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:22 am

Never Forget

docabel
Heisman

Postby BUS » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:58 am

O M G
Too funny.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Roach » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:22 am

I can't think of a single team I wouldn't root for over tcu
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:34 am

Apparently, I am in the minority on this Board. Although I love beating TCU and want to reestablish our role as the premier university, both academically and athletically, in North Texas, the Frogs are now a benchmark for us to meet and exceed in everything we do.

I am not a Georgia (nor Alabama) fan and would actually enjoy TCU surprising the country with a win. In short, if the Frogs win, it demonstrates to everyone, including school leadership, that their success can be ours. They did what was necessary to be in their position tonight. Could be fun.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby redpony » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:45 am

[quote="Water Pony" it demonstrates to everyone, including school leadership, that their success can be ours. .[/quote]

Except they had an admin that wanted to win and move up. Our admin (RGT) and a.d. are happy being mediocre and care less about being at the top level in sports - fball and bball.
redpony

Postby SMUstang » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:53 am

Roach wrote:I can't think of a single team I wouldn't root for over tcu

Funny but that is exactly how I feel about UT
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby PNW_Stang » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:28 pm

I hate UT much more than TCU. TCU clawed their way up and have everyone on board. They have raised 30 spots academically during that same time period, while we have dropped 16.

I have family members that went to TCU and at the game. They had half the stadium playing Michigan - something else I found really impressive. I bet the championship game is also half purple (according to family there, it’s TCU fans everywhere).

13 point spread is huge though. Will be shocked if TCU wins, but Sonny is also the luckiest coach of all time, so maybe I shouldn’t be too shocked if things randomly go their way a few times tonight.

While Sonny definitely looked bad leaving (talking to some players, I know they felt that way. All the “family” stuff then going to TCU while our rivalry hate was at an all time high). But, we would have done the same thing to North Texas if they had a coach that was kicking our [deleted] after being an analyst here - granted, NT is now our conference equal.

Speaking of that, it Makes me sick to look at the AAC team recruiting rankings and see our new conference… makes me become a TCU fan tonight since we are in the CFB doldrums while they are at the top, and nice to cheer for a contender for once.

We can give Sonny and staff (or Ali) all the hate we want, but I doubt any of them are regretting their decision to leave for greener CFB pastures. The SMU boards spent two years trash talking Riley only for him to win CFB assistant coach of the year. Lots trashed talked Duggan and he is Heisman runner up (and if the award was given after tonight, possibly the winner).

Also, CFB has become so boring the last decade. Lost rivalries, SEC rematches (like 1 loss LSU over one loss Okie State), and blue blood dominance. CFB has been a corrupted system designed to protect the same schools getting into the finals every year - the schools with the most tv draws. This year that has finally changed, and a school with a low blue chip ratio actually has a chance to win it all this century. Forget rivalries and Sonny hatred, CFB finally has some parity at the top and the guys in control allowed it to happen (unlike in 2014, where IMO TCU was the best team in CFB and didn’t get a chance).
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby MDJenkins » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:21 pm

A TCU win will place a little pressure on the AD and administration to follow TCU’s path to success. There are so many parallel comparisons between the two schools. SMU needs to quit playing the victim and do what it takes to make it happen. Expect more…demand more!
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby Dukie » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:31 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:This poll appears to show 2 schools of thought. There's the "I'm for SMU and whoever is playing TCU" and the "I pull for SMU and after we play them, I pull for all of our opponents to be successful so we feel better about how tough our schedule was". I used to be the former but I'm coming around to the latter school of thought.

I don't expect it to happen but would like to see "little ole TCU" upset one of Goliaths of the big bad SEC, especially after most of the country thinks Georgia vs Ohio State was the real national championship game (will admit it may have been).

I am just going to be happy with whoever loses: whether the defending champion and the vaunted $EC get shocked and humiliated by an annoying little private school upstart, or whether Sonny loses and cries sweet tears and begins what will hopefully be a multi-year slide into mediocrity and getting fired.

It's all just a matter of keeping your perspective.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby 03Mustang » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:31 pm

I can't believe any of you are cheering for TCU. The point is made by them getting this far, to hell with them now. Same damn attitude that kept us in the dumps for 40 years now.

Go Dawgs, I hope they score and never let up on them so I can see Sonny Snake's stupid face afterwards. The cherry on top will be an 8-win season for them next year and SD riding off to Austin, Norman, or College Station before they even play a bowl game.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football