PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

National Championship

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who are you pulling for?

TCU
32%
UGA
68%

Total votes : 57

Re: National Championship

Postby DallasMustang11 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:15 pm

Now this is the Sonny Dykes I remember! Haha horny toads getting exposed.
DallasMustang11
Scout Team

Postby ClassOf81 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:17 pm

We're seeing the difference between one-score games against SMU, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Texas and Baylor ... and facing Oregon in non-conference and the SEC.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:19 pm

One of the most pleasurable first half of football I have ever watched. It’s Varsity vs JV. The talent disparity is so obvious. If the B12 weren’t so weak, this scenario never happens.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:26 pm

It'll be interesting to see the adjustments TCU makes at the half...

like getting out of the way of the steamroller in red and black.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GHammond » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:36 pm

Saban did not look happy there…ha!!!
GHammond
Varsity

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:49 pm

Alabama would have given Georgia a very good game. You give Saban a month to prepare and with the talent they have they would be a tough out. I called it early on, the true national championship game was Georgia / OSU. There are three teams that consistently recruit the best over the last 5 years: Alabama, Georgia and OSU. Then you have a second tier of teams with talent - OU used to be here until they were pillaged by USC. Clemson is also in this second group.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:57 pm

mtrout wrote:https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1611562792099667968?s=20&t=uZX3RD7V0z9cApZ6qHDxVQ

Sorry gov but I will never wear purple...or burnt orange for that matter
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:59 pm

Paladin wrote:Ha ha ha ha Dykes ! 38 - 7 at halftime

Looks like a complete lack of coaching preparation to me

Hate to defend Sonny but all the coaching in the world would not make up for the talent differential in this game. Makes it all the more amazing that TCU was able to beat Michigan to get into this game
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:03 pm

Have to admit it doesn't bother me at all watching TCU getting humiliated in this game. If this was SMU I would have turned it off at halftime but I find myself watching and wondering just how lopsided this game might get
Charleston Pony

Postby DallasMustang11 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:08 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Paladin wrote:Ha ha ha ha Dykes ! 38 - 7 at halftime

Looks like a complete lack of coaching preparation to me

Hate to defend Sonny but all the coaching in the world would not make up for the talent differential in this game. Makes it all the more amazing that TCU was able to beat Michigan to get into this game

That’s totally fair but that doesn’t speak to the miscues. Misalignments on defense, turnovers, etc.
DallasMustang11
Scout Team

Postby DallasMustang11 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:10 pm

Also the plethora of missed tackles and wide open receivers. Certainly a large talent disparity but there are clearly other issues here.
DallasMustang11
Scout Team

Postby PNW_Stang » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:11 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:Alabama would have given Georgia a very good game. You give Saban a month to prepare and with the talent they have they would be a tough out. I called it early on, the true national championship game was Georgia / OSU. There are three teams that consistently recruit the best over the last 5 years: Alabama, Georgia and OSU. Then you have a second tier of teams with talent - OU used to be here until they were pillaged by USC. Clemson is also in this second group.

Who cares if Bama could give them a game. What’s the point of CFB for 90% of fanbases if we have to watch SEC rematches all the time - I’ve never watched one.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:15 pm

PNW_Stang wrote:
Mustangs_Maroons wrote:Alabama would have given Georgia a very good game. You give Saban a month to prepare and with the talent they have they would be a tough out. I called it early on, the true national championship game was Georgia / OSU. There are three teams that consistently recruit the best over the last 5 years: Alabama, Georgia and OSU. Then you have a second tier of teams with talent - OU used to be here until they were pillaged by USC. Clemson is also in this second group.

Who cares if Bama could give them a game. What’s the point of CFB for 90% of fanbases if we have to watch SEC rematches all the time - I’ve never watched one.

Are you watching because you’re part of the B12 fan base, TCu fan base or because it’s the national championship? If the last option, this would be much better with Georgia / Alabama which could have been another type of game similar to Georgia / OSU.

Michigan is also overrated because their talent base is top 15.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:16 pm

PNW_Stang wrote:Who cares if Bama could give them a game. What’s the point of CFB for 90% of fanbases if we have to watch SEC rematches all the time - I’ve never watched one.

Exactly. My fear was a Michigan/Ohio State rematch which would have been another "who cares?" game for too many people. I would have especially hated that rematch because Michigan had already won in Columbus so Ohio State did not deserve a rematch.

Georgia is awesome. Any team that can go undefeated in today's SEC is obviously very talented and to come back the way they did against Ohio State was really impressive. They are making a statement tonight
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:18 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
PNW_Stang wrote:Who cares if Bama could give them a game. What’s the point of CFB for 90% of fanbases if we have to watch SEC rematches all the time - I’ve never watched one.

Exactly. My fear was a Michigan/Ohio State rematch which would have been another "who cares?" game for too many people. I would have especially hated that rematch because Michigan had already won in Columbus so Ohio State did not deserve a rematch.

Georgia is awesome. Any team that can go undefeated in today's SEC is obviously very talented and to come back the way they did against Ohio State was really impressive. They are making a statement tonight

Frightening to think that Michigan tOSU rematch ALMOST happened.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football