PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

National Championship

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who are you pulling for?

TCU
32%
UGA
68%

Total votes : 57

National Championship

Postby MustangBroker » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:26 am

Who are you pulling for?
MustangBroker
Recruit

Re: National Championship

Postby BUS » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:33 am

T. C. Who?
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:16 am

TCU all the way because I want to see the SMU response, hopefully further opening eyes to what we could be if we'd follow the TCU athletics playbook. Or it may just increase our resistance...
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony78 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:36 am

mtrout wrote:TCU all the way because I want to see the SMU response, hopefully further opening eyes to what we could be if we'd follow the TCU athletics playbook. Or it may just increase our resistance...

Ummmm, never. No. We've had a couple of decades to respond to what tcu did. We have started to catch up but we thumbed our noses at them for a long time. There is a good Mac Engel (yuk) article in the FW Startlegram this morning if you can get access to it. It was sent to me so I could bypass the firewall. It is titled: "TCU's Run to the National Title Game started by contemplating dropping football." The title is a bit deceiving as the story shows what across the board commitment from top to bottom might yield.
Pony78
Recruit

Postby mtrout » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:48 am

Interesting article. Lots of examples about how the chancellor(s) and provost(s) made it happen over a long period of time. That's really where it's at.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:58 am

and the beat goes on…
Bergermeister

Postby Paladin » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:17 am

Uh, I think I remember TCU stealing our coach last year ?
Paladin
All-American

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:11 pm

I don’t understand any SMU alum or fan rooting for the toads. :roll:

If the situation were reversed, it would be the same sentiment, and it’s normal given the historical rivalry.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Topper » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:54 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I don’t understand any SMU alum or fan rooting for the toads. :roll:

If the situation were reversed, it would be the same sentiment, and it’s normal given the historical rivalry.

TCU's rise to football prominence has been partly to the demise of SMU football. While we tread water they are nabbing the better athletes and playing better opponents thereby giving them an opportunity to be in the national conversation. That shiny crystal trophy is intoxicating to recruits and if it is sitting on public display over in Fort Worth it does us no good.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:33 pm

Baylor, TCU or UT...never.

UGA 41
Toads. 38
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BIGHORSE » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:53 pm

The better the frogs do, the more it hurts us, just the fact they made
it this far will make it impossible to recruit against them, and if they recruit
better than us they will beat us on the field, so never pull for frogs!!!
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby laxdawg97 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:06 pm

Topper wrote:
Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I don’t understand any SMU alum or fan rooting for the toads. :roll:

TCU's rise to football prominence has been partly to the demise of SMU football. While we tread water they are nabbing the better athletes and playing better opponents thereby giving them an opportunity to be in the national conversation. That shiny crystal trophy is intoxicating to recruits and if it is sitting on public display over in Fort Worth it does us no good.

Georgia got a good 40 years of mileage out of their 1980 national title. I went to a few games there during the frustrating Richt years, and it was amazing how fans talked if they'd just won a ring.

If nothing else, it locks in a championship mindset and narrative that keeps the stadium (and coffers) full even in down years. And it gave them the belief that trying to level up and compete with Alabama wasn't pointless, which might be the better lesson for the Mustangs.
laxdawg97
Scout Team

Postby redpony » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:56 pm

mtrout wrote:Interesting article. Lots of examples about how the chancellor(s) and provost(s) made it happen over a long period of time. That's really where it's at.

And to add insult to injury one of those primarily involved was a former SMU student- Bill Koehler. IIIRC he was something like assoc. Provost etc. He was the one who also recommended Gary Patterson for coach.
redpony

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:02 pm

My interest in the game is primarily to watch the toads get curb stomped. Georgia to win by 28!
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Three Putt » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:29 pm

TCU. If they can do it, there is no reason/excuse that SMU can’t.
I don’t think TCU stole Dykes. He chose to leave.
Three Putt
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football