PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New fans for next year

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New fans for next year

Postby Three Putt » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:20 pm

It appears that the Briles hire at TCU has rubbed a lot of their fans the wrong way. I have has some of them as me about getting SMU season tickets next year. It might be a good time for our marketing dept. to put up a few billboards in Fort Worth. :D
Three Putt
Junior Varsity

Re: New fans for next year

Postby Silk » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:47 am

A lot of their fans didn't want Dykes, either. Now, of course, they claim he was "their guy" all along.
Silk
Varsity

Postby laxdawg97 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:06 pm

Three Putt wrote:It appears that the Briles hire at TCU has rubbed a lot of their fans the wrong way. I have has some of them as me about getting SMU season tickets next year. It might be a good time for our marketing dept. to put up a few billboards in Fort Worth. :D

Sonny has squandered an awful lot of goodwill with this move, and having watched most Arkansas games the past 2 seasons, I can't see why he thinks Kendall is worth tarnishing an all-time great season. At least a few hogs boosters were passing the hat to replace him, even if Pittman didn't want to. Whatever you think about the Baylor situation, and Kendall's individual responsibility, TCU just bought equity in one of the ugliest chapters in college football history.

It's also curious to me that Riley's deal at Clemson is only $1.75MM, less then they've paid coordinators in the past. It also sorta chips away at the narrative, which in fairness I've propagated, that budgets are fungible for the frogs. Pay him $3MM if you have to, just to prove you can, and avoid questions about why he thinks the better move is to leave TCU for Dabo's cult.

Just an incredible self-own all around by Sonny.
laxdawg97
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:25 pm

My guess is that Riley to Clemson is about Dabo hoping Riley can do for Klubnik what he did for Duggan
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:27 am

Personally Sonny Dykes sickens me. After he ruined our season last year by engaging in a bidding war for his services in the middle of the year, left for a job with our crosstown rival, and now reaches into the sewer of the Baylor ex coaching fraternity, TCU can have him. If he had tried to bring Briles to SMU it would have been the end of my days as a lifelong Mustang fan. Can you imagine how the media would have skewered us if we hired Briles? Of coursethe Startlegram is heaping praise on his hire at TCU.
Last edited by Topper on Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:59 am

Topper wrote:Personally Sonny Dykes sickens me. After he ruined our season last year by engaging in a bidding war for his services in the middle of the year, left for a job with our crosstown rival, and now reaches onto the sewer of the Baylor ex coaching fraternity, TCU can have him. If he had tried to bring Briles to SMU it would have been the end of my days as a lifelong Mustang fan. Can you imagine how the media would have skewered us if we hired Briles? Of coursethe Startlegram is heaping praise on his hire at TCU.

:roll:
Bergermeister

Postby Oldmins » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:36 pm

Topper wrote:Personally Sonny Dykes sickens me. After he ruined our season last year by engaging in a bidding war for his services in the middle of the year, left for a job with our crosstown rival, and now reaches into the sewer of the Baylor ex coaching fraternity, TCU can have him. If he had tried to bring Briles to SMU it would have been the end of my days as a lifelong Mustang fan. Can you imagine how the media would have skewered us if we hired Briles? Of coursethe Startlegram is heaping praise on his hire at TCU.

Absolutely sickens all of us. Throw up at his name. Vomit when he enters the discussion. Vile has a new definition. Lives in the sewer. None of us liked him when he was here. The very definition or repulsiveness. (But wouldn't it be nice to end up the season 12-2?)
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:14 pm

Oldmins wrote:
Topper wrote:Personally Sonny Dykes sickens me. After he ruined our season last year by engaging in a bidding war for his services in the middle of the year, left for a job with our crosstown rival, and now reaches into the sewer of the Baylor ex coaching fraternity, TCU can have him. If he had tried to bring Briles to SMU it would have been the end of my days as a lifelong Mustang fan. Can you imagine how the media would have skewered us if we hired Briles? Of coursethe Startlegram is heaping praise on his hire at TCU.

Absolutely sickens all of us. Throw up at his name. Vomit when he enters the discussion. Vile has a new definition. Lives in the sewer. None of us liked him when he was here. The very definition of repulsiveness.

FIFY
Dukie
Heisman

Postby leopold » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:20 pm

What amazes me is he doesn't need Briles. Not one bit.

Say what you want about Dykes but he's a gifted offensive mind and he's just reached the CFP CG and he hires this guy?? I mean, God knows the Briles' can coach an offense and it may work out PR and coaching-wise, but it's completely unnecessary baggage for the ONE guy in all of CFB whose job should be secure not named 'Smart.'

Boggles the mind.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:05 pm

leopold wrote:What amazes me is he doesn't need Briles. Not one bit.

Say what you want about Dykes but he's a gifted offensive mind and he's just reached the CFP CG and he hires this guy?? I mean, God knows the Briles' can coach an offense and it may work out PR and coaching-wise, but it's completely unnecessary baggage for the ONE guy in all of CFB whose job should be secure not named 'Smart.'

Boggles the mind.

The coaching fraternity takes care of its own. Remember that if it hadn't been for an early injury Chandler Morris would have been the Frog's starting QB rather than the Heisman runner up. Luckiest break Sonny ever got. Pun intended.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby leopold » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:55 pm

Yeah, but it's a big damn fraternity and you aren't going to hire a guy just to help him out. Sonny would have had his pick of up-and-coming talent and while, yeah, Arky was pretty good offensively (15th in the country, behind only 14th place SMU Mustangs) there are other guys.

Eh, we'll see how it works out.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby FroggieFever » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:28 pm

I think most Frog fans are not excited about the hire. Just look at Killer Frogs and/or the TCU Football Facebook Group and nearly everyone is pissed.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:20 pm

FroggieFever wrote:I think most Frog fans are not excited about the hire. Just look at Killer Frogs and/or the TCU Football Facebook Group and nearly everyone is pissed.

They will all be in their seats at Amon Carter when the Frogs kick off against Colorado. They'll all get over it.
Bergermeister

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:37 am

Bergermeister wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:I think most Frog fans are not excited about the hire. Just look at Killer Frogs and/or the TCU Football Facebook Group and nearly everyone is pissed.

They will all be in their seats at Amon Carter when the Frogs kick off against Colorado. They'll all get over it.

As they should. It's not a big deal. Everyone wants to be outraged about something these days
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby MDJenkins » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:50 pm

Envy is not a good look. Sonny made an amazing career move and piloted a remarkable turnaround. Good timing and fortune…yes. However the results speak for themselves.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Next

Return to Football