PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ChatGPT's opinion on a great SMU quarterback

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ChatGPT's opinion on a great SMU quarterback

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:27 pm

Southern Methodist University (SMU) has had several successful quarterbacks over the years, but one of the most notable is Kyle Padron. Kyle Padron played for SMU from 2008 to 2010 and holds several school records, including most touchdown passes in a single season (30 in 2010) and most career touchdown passes (66). He was also named the Conference USA Most Valuable Player in 2010 and was invited to participate in the East-West Shrine Game.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: ChatGPT's opinion on a great SMU quarterback

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:22 am

Well, Padron WAS the best quarterback at the 2009 Hawaii bowl — by a long shot. Whereas the other guy went to the NFL … for awhile.

HONOLULU -- Freshman Kyle Padron threw for an SMU-record 460 yards, leading the Mustangs to a 45-10 victory over Nevada in the Hawaii Bowl on Thursday night -- SMU's first postseason appearance in 25 years.

It was a triumphant return to the postseason and paradise for the Mustangs and second-year coach June Jones, who left Hawaii after nine seasons and has revived a dreadful SMU program hit hard by the NCAA death penalty.

SMU fans chanted "Thank you, June!" in the fourth quarter, but it was his young quarterback who shone and earned the MVP award.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:55 am

Just about everyone has an opinion about who was the greatest in SMU history. My favorites were Doak Walker and Don Meredith.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:43 pm

I’m jealous if you got to see them play.
ponyboy

Postby jpe747 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:20 pm

When I was a youngster my parents took me to the SMU games and the spring game. When Don Meredith was a senior he was quite well-liked through the Dallas area. After his last spring game, he stood on the field and signed autographs for all the kids (and adults), all who wanted one. He stood and stood and signed until totally done. I have never seen another athlete do that before or since. I was one of those kids that got an autograph. Unfortunately, I lost it somewhere. But the point is people loved Dandy Don for more than what he did on the field. He was a great athlete, a fantastic human being, and one of my all-time heroes.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:42 pm

jpe747 wrote:When I was a youngster my parents took me to the SMU games and the spring game. When Don Meredith was a senior he was quite well-liked through the Dallas area. After his last spring game, he stood on the field and signed autographs for all the kids (and adults), all who wanted one. He stood and stood and signed until totally done. I have never seen another athlete do that before or since. I was one of those kids that got an autograph. Unfortunately, I lost it somewhere. But the point is people loved Dandy Don for more than what he did on the field. He was a great athlete, a fantastic human being, and one of my all-time heroes.

^ Aye, ^

Was a bit younger than you, but remember meeting him after a Cowboy's game. My dad was an oral surgeon and did dental work on a number of Dallas players. Meredith broke his nose in a game (The Cowboy's offensive line in the early 60's was pretty bad), and snapped the root off one of his incisors.

He signed an autograph for me too, after an hour and a half in the dental chair. It was a Sunday night, and I always assisted my dad by holding the instrument trays and emptying bloody gauze into the trashcan. I remember he was in pain, but an absolute gentleman to a 6 year old fan.

Good memories, and one of the reasons I was an early SMU fan.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:31 pm

Wow, what a story, Clyde!
ponyboy

Postby SMUstang » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:04 am

Doak was a little ahead of me, but he was a great influence in my life. Dandy Don was a classmate of mine. He had a great sense of humor and was very humble.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Roach » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:42 am

Never saw Dandy Don. Among QBs I've seen:
Flanigan
McIlhenney
Gilbert
Mordecai
Padron
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby Arkpony » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:05 pm

I was in school with Don Meredith and had the privilege of sitting across from him and his date ( and I think his future wife-Lynn Merriweather) at a dance and we converse quite a bit. A very nice guy and a tremendously exciting ball player.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby digman52 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:12 pm

peruna81 wrote:
jpe747 wrote:When I was a youngster my parents took me to the SMU games and the spring game. When Don Meredith was a senior he was quite well-liked through the Dallas area. After his last spring game, he stood on the field and signed autographs for all the kids (and adults), all who wanted one. He stood and stood and signed until totally done. I have never seen another athlete do that before or since. I was one of those kids that got an autograph. Unfortunately, I lost it somewhere. But the point is people loved Dandy Don for more than what he did on the field. He was a great athlete, a fantastic human being, and one of my all-time heroes.

^ Aye, ^

Meredith was one of my first sports hero's. Here I am as a young member of the Cowboys Club getting his autograph as a Club meeting at the St. Mark's Prep School gymnasium where is was held. That is Don McIlheney sitting in the back #42.
Attachments
Me and Meredith a.jpg
Me and Meredith a.jpg (104.64 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
digman52
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:51 pm

Chuck Hixson and MIke Livingston.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Arkpony » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:55 pm

I saw them all and it’s Meredith.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:17 pm

Roach wrote:Never saw Dandy Don. Among QBs I've seen:
Flanigan
McIlhenney
Gilbert
Mordecai
Padron

In that time frame you also saw Buechele. He was pretty good, too.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:20 pm

digman52 wrote: Meredith was one of my first sports hero's. Here I am as a young member of the Cowboys Club getting his autograph as a Club meeting at the St. Mark's Prep School gymnasium where is was held. That is Don McIlheney sitting in the back #42.

I recognize Frank Clarke and Don Perkins in that photo but who was # 45?
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Football