PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Construction cam for Weber Endzone Project?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Construction cam for Weber Endzone Project?

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:29 pm

This is a good point. The open seating in the north EZ didn’t work a few years ago but the grassy EZ took off. Where will students go? Back to the southeast corner with the band?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:50 pm

An ill conceived plan. Another SMU example of too many dollars and not enough sense.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:50 pm

Bergermeister wrote:An ill conceived plan. Another SMU example of too many dollars and not enough sense.

Who knows? With new seating maybe the students will stay past halftime.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby stlpony » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:42 pm

There is a grass section for the students. It is accessible, not fenced off, and already preserved from the demolition process. It's amazing hearing people complain about a $100M+ expansion initiative to our football stadium. The expansion is key towards a P5 invitation, brings in incremental revenue, and provides the comfort people are willing to pay a premium to get.
Attachments
end zone.PNG
end zone.PNG (142.03 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:56 am

I think the south end zone was popular because of the shade often provided there as well. That new grassy section, not so much
Charleston Pony

Postby GHammond » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:41 am

Sporting News just came out with the list of the "Most Disgruntled College Football Fans" and SMU was number 2 behind Texas A$M. Spoiled Millionaires University makes sense.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:25 am

GHammond wrote:Sporting News just came out with the list of the "Most Disgruntled College Football Fans" and SMU was number 2 behind Texas A$M. Spoiled Millionaires University makes sense.

I can make a great case that Aggy fans have become quite spoiled over the last decade plus.

No one who became a fan of SMU football in 1985 or later is or has ever been spoiled.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:10 am

GHammond wrote:Sporting News just came out with the list of the "Most Disgruntled College Football Fans" and SMU was number 2 behind Texas A$M. Spoiled Millionaires University makes sense.

We are who we are and Aggie$ just have unrealistic expectations thinking NIL now allows them to buy a championship. Even going back to the Pony Express era when they were paying as well or better than SMU, they never could beat us :lol:
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:17 am

We would have to be a long ways behind Texas A$M on this one.
Last edited by SMUstang on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:18 am

Dukie wrote:No one who became a fan of SMU football in 1985 or later is or has ever been spoiled.

I wouldn't go that far as there are plenty of spoiled children attending SMU, but anyone who has been a fan of SMU football since our return from the death penalty in 1989 is a pretty hard core and long suffering fan. I would not exclude SMU basketball from that assessment either. Seems like we've had far more disappointments than really great moments, even when we were good (NIT championship loss, early exits from both NIT and NCAA tourney, CUSA football championship game loss, bowl losses, etc...)
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:40 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Dukie wrote:No one who became a fan of SMU football in 1985 or later is or has ever been spoiled.

I wouldn't go that far as there are plenty of spoiled children attending SMU, but anyone who has been a fan of SMU football since our return from the death penalty in 1989 is a pretty hard core and long suffering fan. I would not exclude SMU basketball from that assessment either. Seems like we've had far more disappointments than really great moments, even when we were good (NIT championship loss, early exits from both NIT and NCAA tourney, CUSA football championship game loss, bowl losses, etc...)

The point is a "spoiled fan base," of course, as you know, so I'm not getting into a spoiled-children debate. I picked 1984 because there was nothing to get overly excited about during the 6-5 seasons in 1985 and 1986 and there has been nothing since, at least nothing when it really counted (I'd put the College GameDay loss at Memphis when SMU was something like 8-0 as the biggest missed opportunity, but that team then would had to go on to clear several more hurdles, like making a NY6 bowl and winning it, to even approach anyone being spoiled). And Godfather basketball had some absolutely awesome moments, but never when it counted, as you note.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:39 pm

Dukie wrote: Godfather basketball had some absolutely awesome moments, but never when it counted, as you note.

I was really pulling for that NIT crown which would have given Larry Brown the coaching trifecta. I had almost forgotten the disappointment of losing that Memphis Gameday game because we didn't have special teams!
Charleston Pony

Postby GHammond » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:16 pm

I was coming from the angle of b itching about a $50,000,000+ Ford Stadium upgrade.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:05 pm

It’s a valid angle.
ponyboy

Postby mtrout » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:20 pm

GHammond wrote:I was coming from the angle of b itching about a $50,000,000+ Ford Stadium upgrade.

100million. By the way, what's the markup on that?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football