PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Oklahoma, Texas agree to exit Big 12 Conference after 23-24

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Oklahoma, Texas agree to exit Big 12 Conference after 23-24

Postby deucetz » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:43 am

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... -24-season

Well the PAC-12 will need to pull the trigger ASAP. BIG 12 is now in the position to poach PAC 12 schools. I was happy that the negotiations were taking a while with UT/OU. Now that they are over, the BIG 12 has time to negotiate to expand.

https://youtu.be/h4HP5ehtDUw
deucetz
All-American

Re: Oklahoma, Texas agree to exit Big 12 Conference after 23

Postby EastStang » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:09 am

I don't know if this is a possibility, but Tech and OK State used to want to join the Pac-12 when Texas and OU were flirting with them. Would the PAC try and poach those two schools?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:09 am

$100 million between the two of them. Guess I understand now how come oil and gas cost so much.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:55 am

I don't take any of them seriously, but the Big 12 Youtubers are fairly insistent that the Big 12 is agressively attempting to poach the 4 corners schools because of their general disenchantment with the media contract talks Perhaps so, but if what we hear about the money being talked about for the PAC contract, I don't see it happening. My bigger worry is that the general trajectory will lead to Oregon and Washington going to the Big 10 sometime in the future. I suspect that eventuality would drive the 4 corners to the Big 12. Either situation would be another Big East scenario for us.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:38 pm

EastStang wrote:I don't know if this is a possibility, but Tech and OK State used to want to join the Pac-12 when Texas and OU were flirting with them. Would the PAC try and poach those two schools?

It doesn’t take very much digging into PAC priorities to see that they would never ever want those two schools.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby BUS » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:52 pm

Correct - Academics
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:22 pm

Topper wrote:I don't take any of them seriously, but the Big 12 Youtubers are fairly insistent that the Big 12 is agressively attempting to poach the 4 corners schools because of their general disenchantment with the media contract talks Perhaps so, but if what we hear about the money being talked about for the PAC contract, I don't see it happening. My bigger worry is that the general trajectory will lead to Oregon and Washington going to the Big 10 sometime in the future. I suspect that eventuality would drive the 4 corners to the Big 12. Either situation would be another Big East scenario for us.

The four corners schools don't move the needle for the Big 12 revenue. To get a boost, they would go after Oregon and Washington (and bring others along). That is the threat scenario, nothing else.
JasonB

Postby orguy » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:31 am

JasonB wrote:
Topper wrote:I don't take any of them seriously, but the Big 12 Youtubers are fairly insistent that the Big 12 is agressively attempting to poach the 4 corners schools because of their general disenchantment with the media contract talks Perhaps so, but if what we hear about the money being talked about for the PAC contract, I don't see it happening. My bigger worry is that the general trajectory will lead to Oregon and Washington going to the Big 10 sometime in the future. I suspect that eventuality would drive the 4 corners to the Big 12. Either situation would be another Big East scenario for us.

The four corners schools don't move the needle for the Big 12 revenue. To get a boost, they would go after Oregon and Washington (and bring others along). That is the threat scenario, nothing else.

Very true. Oregon and Washington are not going anywhere. Both presidents
are close to their land grant brethren Oregon State and Wazzou. So much so
that the state of Washington chose not to bring forth a bill keeping them
together as it was deemed unnecessary given Big 10 lack of interest. As stated:
it's important to remember the academic angle. Utah, Colorado, ASU and Arizona
have benefitted greatly from the affiliation research wise. The president's of these
schools have far more power than in other conferences. They would rather be
affiliated with us than a conference that includes Baylor ( Rape U ) or BYU ( students
mostly white and limited academic freedom for professors etc ). Do not know
why these pro big 12 morons keep posting nonsense. They do not understand that
the PAC really is focused on fit. The power structure is different and as such I like
our chances.
orguy
All-American

Postby SMUstang » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:00 am

Right on
SMUstang
Heisman

Return to Football