PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Joint statement from the 10 Pac-12 conference board members

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Joint statement from the 10 Pac-12 conference board memb

Postby CA Mustang » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:17 pm

“My sense is we need to get it done in March — in mid-March, hopefully,” Schulz told the Hotline on Monday. “The longer it goes, the more noise there will be.”

There is already plenty of noise, with frequent reports speculating about a disappointing media contract and frustrated schools seeking salvation in the Big 12.

The public narrative became so bleak last week that the presidents issued a joint statement of unity. Schulz knew it carried a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” component.

“I thought people would see it as the same thing a head coach does when he says publicly that he loves his staff, then he fires them all,” Schulz said.

“But we were getting battered constantly with all the rhetoric out of the Big 12 (region), with talk that schools were leaving … At the least, we had to let people know the 10 Pac-12 schools were committed to staying together.

“But the speed with which (the presidents) were willing to put that out — I was stunned by my colleagues. Somebody said, ‘We should do something,’ and within an hour, everyone was saying yes … Normally, everyone wants to be a wordsmith.”
https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/02/21/ ... dent-says/
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:30 pm

Dennis Dodds who seems to be the one most stirring the pot with negative comments works for CBS whose bid was rejected by the PAC12. Is he reporting or posturing? This feeds the Big XII harpies as well. A watered down PAC12 TV deal would possibly cause schools like OR and WA to chase the Big Ten (which happens to broadcast on CBS) and maybe reopen discussions with CBS for the PAC12. TV and web suits are going to determine all of this.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:08 pm

I believe we'll be waiting for Amazon to be our white knight.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Topper » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:10 pm

EastStang wrote:Dennis Dodds who seems to be the one most stirring the pot with negative comments works for CBS whose bid was rejected by the PAC12. Is he reporting or posturing? This feeds the Big XII harpies as well. A watered down PAC12 TV deal would possibly cause schools like OR and WA to chase the Big Ten (which happens to broadcast on CBS) and maybe reopen discussions with CBS for the PAC12. TV and web suits are going to determine all of this.

You are so right about "journalists" stirring the pot. Most of us recognize that sports reporters, are rarely "journalists" in the classic sense. Newsprint and local broadcasters (with the notable exception of Dallas) are homers for the local college. The talking heads on the networks that carry the games seem to me to be attempting to influence either the braodcase contract or wrangle viewers for their matchups. I am amazed at the phony hysteria being drummed up by the Big 12 mouthpieces over what they allege to be the collapse of the PAC 12. Some of these characters that keep popping up on my Youtube feed are either hillbillies of some kind or else hosting from their mother's spare bedroom. This creates a vortex of paranoia for anyone who pays the slightest attention to their talk.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:46 pm

The above posts correctly identify the way this issue is being covered by writers and posters.

Speculating and projecting dramatic and disruptive scenarios is click bait. I have yet to see thoughtful comments on what is best for college football.

Is killing off the P5 status of the PAC-12 in the best interest of the game we love? Why is consolidating into fewer P5 conferences so desirable? LIttle or no effort is made to explore unintended or perhaps intented consequences of predatory moves against the PAC-12.

Leave aside our desire to join a P5, these efforts will further reduce college football to the economics of NFL style media coverage.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby BUS » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:47 pm

I loved the guy that I'm going to believe.... from his garage. With stuff hanging on the wall.

That pro reporting.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:14 pm

Agree with Water, why do fans want mega-conferences? Maybe by the next round of expansion, some sanity prevails and we keep the P5 with a few more G5’s moving up.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football