PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Joint statement from the 10 Pac-12 conference board members

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Joint statement from the 10 Pac-12 conference board memb

Postby Topper » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:53 pm

ponyboy wrote:Do not feed frogs.

Froggie sources are a bookie and a Big 12 media organ. Could be just as likely that Amazon/ESPN deal is imminent and Turner and CBS are saving face by "leaking" that they are out. Not sure from earlier reports that either were ever serious players. I'm enjoying watching the Big 12 taking advantage of the PAC media deal to soothe the inferiority complex well earned after being jilted by Colorado, Nebraske, Missouri, A&M, UT and OU.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:03 pm

Topper wrote:

Froggie sources are a bookie and a Big 12 media organ. Could be just as likely that Amazon/ESPN deal is imminent and Turner and CBS are saving face by "leaking" that they are out. Not sure from earlier reports that either were ever serious players. I'm enjoying watching the Big 12 taking advantage of the PAC media deal to soothe the inferiority complex well earned after being jilted by Colorado, Nebraske, Missouri, A&M, UT and OU.

It was a good podcast and not the sole source...it is pretty much the consensus at this point. I do not understand how one could surmise that a deal taking this long is a good thing.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Topper » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:38 pm

FroggieFever wrote:
Topper wrote:

It was a good podcast and not the sole source...it is pretty much the consensus at this point. I do not understand how one could surmise that a deal taking this long is a good thing.

One unnamed source repeated over and over in the blogosphere is not "consensus." I have no idea if there will be a good deal, a bad deal, or a deal at all, but we will find out eventually. Meanwhile I will refrain from ragging on TCU's loss to Georgia and it's new association with the Briles clan.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:45 pm

Topper wrote:Meanwhile I will refrain from ragging on TCU's loss to Georgia and it's new association with the Briles clan.

Ha both are scars on my wrists.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby PK » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:17 pm

FroggieFever wrote:
Topper wrote:Meanwhile I will refrain from ragging on TCU's loss to Georgia and it's new association with the Briles clan.

Ha both are scars on my wrists.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Nedward » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:44 pm

Does anybody bother to check the link of the website "publishing" this nonsense? And I use that word lightly.

"Independent Big 12" athletic website. Might as well go to that piece of human garbage Mac Engel over in FW his opinions.
Nedward
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:57 am

I see no reason why any PAC 12 school would want to associate with the Big XII. More travel, teams are arguably worse than the current PAC 12. Their markets are Orlando, Cincinnati, Ft. Worth, Lubbock, Stillwater, Mormons, Kansas, Ames, Morgantown. Vs. Portland, Seattle, SLC, AZ, Colorado (Denver), San Diego, Dallas, Northern CA.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby ponyboy » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:44 am

Nedward wrote:Does anybody bother to check the link of the website "publishing" this nonsense? And I use that word lightly.

"Independent Big 12" athletic website. Might as well go to that piece of human garbage Mac Engel over in FW his opinions.

Last night, my YouTube feed had several false storylines, including one joker who claimed that SMU and Tulane had rejected an offer to join the PAC-12. Most of the videos were about how the PAC-12 is on the verge of collapse. It was clear propaganda not baitclick stuff.
ponyboy

Postby peruna81 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:17 pm

The media deal is the hinge for our PAC invite. If the PAC was already a viable and valued commodity, the deal would have been inked. With the two big money programs leaving, media folks are waiting to see what IS the worth of a contract.

Could the PAC collapse? Most certainly. With the withdrawal of certain media bidders it is always shaky ground, and naturally the folks may reduce the price for the contract. That said, there are a number of schools remaining that don't want to be in the "cold lands" looking in on yet another re-alignment, so there is a bass-ackward logic to securing SMU and SDSU.

Forgetting all else, we DO have one very important asset: CST zone, and that is something that the PAC will need in future days. This morning on the Aggie-centric local sports talk radio, 20 minutes was on SMU and their possible admission to the PAC. When was the last time that happened?

Good times to be a Mustang.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby crazy horse » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:37 pm

You hit the nail on the head. I would love to get this done because it distracts me from what I should be doing. However, think of all the publicity this is generating for SMU, SDSU, and the PAC12. This a dead time for sports, so what is everyone talking about - expansion. Its a time for people to learn more about SMU, our value to a P5 conference, and listen to the bitter rants from some of our former opponents.

I've enjoyed smacking down pesky Sand Aggies with facts on social media.

But I am ready for this to be a done deal.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:25 pm

CBS Sports' Dennis Dodds take on the PAC-12's future

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ghts-deal/
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:33 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:CBS Sports' Dennis Dodds take on the PAC-12's future

That's not a take, it's masturbating over a breakup that he admits is unlikely. But some tools on the Twitter machine are predicting it, so, in Dennis' sage words, "[t]he fact that it could happen in these tenuous times is enough to project what the process might look like."

I'm sorry that I clicked on that worthless clickbait article.
Last edited by Dukie on Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Rla1022 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:14 pm

EastStang wrote:I see no reason why any PAC 12 school would want to associate with the Big XII. More travel, teams are arguably worse than the current PAC 12. Their markets are Orlando, Cincinnati, Ft. Worth, Lubbock, Stillwater, Mormons, Kansas, Ames, Morgantown. Vs. Portland, Seattle, SLC, AZ, Colorado (Denver), San Diego, Dallas, Northern CA.

Exactly. Also coupled with the fact that Rice (Houston )and Tulane (Nola) could come on as well. A 14 team conference with superior markets, academics and on the upswing with talent.
Rla1022
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:12 am

Dukie wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:CBS Sports' Dennis Dodds take on the PAC-12's future

That's not a take, it's masturbating over a breakup that he admits is unlikely. But some tools on the Twitter machine are predicting it, so, in Dennis' sage words, "[t]he fact that it could happen in these tenuous times is enough to project what the process might look like."

I'm sorry that I clicked on that worthless clickbait article.

It's also an acknowledgement that while the Big 10 has long coveted Notre Dame. if they eventually extend invitations to Oregon & Washington to help balance their pacific time zone slots, the PAC could become a slightly higher profile MWC/AAC hybrid competing with the Big XII for attention. We can salivate all we want about the possibility of a PAC-12 invite but everyone knows the Big 10, SEC & their media partners control the future direction of college athletics
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:03 pm

They do, but there is every reason to believe they are done for the foreseeable future.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Football