PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How valuable is SMU to PAC-12 pursuit of digital media deal?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How valuable is SMU to PAC-12 pursuit of digital media deal?

Postby AfricanMustang » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:40 am

...But how valuable is a top-five TV market for a potential digital media rights deal? And how much of the Dallas market does SMU – a school with below-average Division I enrollment, but above-average wallet sizes – bring to the table?

The answers are based on projections, much like the future of live sports streaming.

“We’re at a moment where we’re to figure out an intelligent way to convert the guaranteed, in some ways, cable revenue to some new model: subscription-based digital streaming,” said David Hollander, a professor of sports management at NYU and author of How Basketball can Save the World. “So naturally, one of the great metrics would be who watches games, period. What is the size of the market, period.

“From there, you get more strategic.”

The need to be strategic is what led to the Pac-12′s interest in SMU. Kliavkoff and the Pac-12 have been ...

To read this article in its entirety, CLICK HERE.
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Re: How valuable is SMU to PAC-12 pursuit of digital media d

Postby PonyPride » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:05 pm

Reminder: do not copy and paste entire articles on this or any other forum, as it amounts to stealing from the journalists who write them and the media outlets who publish them. It is fine to copy a few paragraphs to give a sense of the article, or write your own intro/description, but then cut it off (see above) and include the link, so that the author and outlet that produced the article get the deserved traffic. Thank you.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: How valuable is SMU to PAC-12 pursuit of digital media d

Postby crazy horse » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:27 pm

I had forgot about 30 for 30. I knew about the ratings of the bowl, but I cannot find any numbers for SMU v TCU or Houston v SMU this year. Both are missing from the site I normally reference. I was surprised that the SMU v Maryland game was so low (257k) - but it was on Fox, and there was a ton of competition on Saturday night. It was up against: Miss St v LSU, FSU v Louisville, Mich St v Washington - to name a few, all on better networks - ABC, ESPN etc.

Looking at 2021, apparently FS1 is just crap and has no distribution, as they report the SMU v TCU game as having 186k. Later that same year undefeated SMU hosted Tulane on a Thursday on ESPN for 392k. On Sat on ESPNU WV v TCU came in at 369k.

Obviously network, day, time, competition on other networks, along with the participants makes a difference in numbers.

The thing I love about Amazon is that it is ubiquitous. So many people already have it and pay for it without even thinking. Its just part of their household expense like any other utility. And if they now have access to some quality college football games for no additional fees - I'm hoping this is the case - jackpot!

I truly hate the 4 networks plus streaming nonsense of ESPN, especially now that I have truly cut the cord and the Disney streaming. Amazon would be fantastic. Give me ONE place where I know I can find and watch my Ponies run! Two at the most. And don't make me pay for every random network we land on - otherwise I have to be a pirate - and I don't wanna be a pirate!
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Return to Football