PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

From "Big 12 insider" and "CFB expansion expert"

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: From "Big 12 insider" and "CFB expansion expert"

Postby Dukie » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:02 pm

SMUstang wrote:What if:
Oregon and Washington go to the B1G. And Arizona, Arizona St, Utah and Colorado go to the Big-12 and SMU and SDSU join the Pac-12. What happens to the exit fees? Will the Pac-12 need two more teams to remain a conference? or is the Pac-12 simply dead?, in which case would SMU and SDSU be better off staying where they are now?

I don't believe your hypothetical is at all likely. But within it, SMU remains aligned with SDSU, Stanford, Cal, Wash St and Oregon St. and those together can pluck from the MWC and western AAC. It shouldn't take too much looking at Charlotte and UAB and even Rice (from the perspective of choosing not to really invest in big-time sports) to realize that yours is not a close call.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:07 pm

Oregon and Washington go to the B1G. And Arizona, Arizona St, Utah and Colorado go to the Big-12 and SMU and SDSU join the Pac-12. What happens to the exit fees? Will the Pac-12 need two more teams to remain a conference? or is the Pac-12 simply dead?, in which case would SMU and SDSU be better off staying where they are now?

No because the remaining 4 PAC-12 schools (Stanford, Cal, Oregon State, Washington State) could join forces with 4 AAC schools (SMU, Tulane, Memphis, Navy/Gonzaga) and 4-6 MWC schools to create the best possible conference of all the remaining teams. Think SDSU, FSU, UNLV, Boise State, Colorado State, and Air Force. That would probably command more than the $7 million we are earning in our AAC deal and get us into a better football conference and a much better basketball conference.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:08 pm

A lot of big "ifs" in your question, but better off how? The pay check isn't getting any better where we are now in the future if we stay. Are you thinking we should hold out for the AAC which may or may not ever happen. The end of their GOR is a long ways off.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby DC-Pony » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:13 pm

Webmaster wrote:If the PAC12 / Apple deal goes down and SMU accepts an invite, I will GLADLY donate one of my old AppleTVs to Milos in exchange for two jalapeño cheeseburgers and a pitcher of beer of my choice.

This is not a joke.

^This...and...

Any relatively new TV capable of streaming doesn't even need an Apple TV device. You just access through the app like you do for YouTubeTV and every other streaming service. So, when the bar wants to switch from a game on say CBS to the SMU game on Apple, the steps are below. It's really this easy. There may be other issues, but from a technology standpoint this is a non-issue.
- Home
- Scroll to Apple app, click enter
- scroll to SMU game within 'sports' category, click enter
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby Webmaster » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:31 pm

DC-Pony wrote:
Webmaster wrote:If the PAC12 / Apple deal goes down and SMU accepts an invite, I will GLADLY donate one of my old AppleTVs to Milos in exchange for two jalapeño cheeseburgers and a pitcher of beer of my choice.

This is not a joke.

^This...and...

Any relatively new TV capable of streaming doesn't even need an Apple TV device. You just access through the app like you do for YouTubeTV and every other streaming service. So, when the bar wants to switch from a game on say CBS to the SMU game on Apple, the steps are below. It's really this easy. There may be other issues, but from a technology standpoint this is a non-issue.
- Home
- Scroll to Apple app, click enter
- scroll to SMU game within 'sports' category, click enter

If you are at Milo's, aren't you required to bounce a quarter into a cup before you can proceed from Step 1, to Step 2 to Step 3?
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby Webmaster » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:33 pm

Actually, if you have a new-ish AppleTV remote, you can just hold the button and tell Siri to turn on the SMU game.

...But then of course you have to drain whatever is left in your cup.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:44 pm

Thank you for your replies. But if the 6 leave, will the 4 remaining still be a conference and are they entitled to collect exit fees? Will the 2 newcomers be entitled to collect any? With a new media contract for the remaining 4+2 how long will it take to add AAC or MWC teams? What incentives will there be for additional teams to join unless there is more money for them? The new media contract would probably be more than the MWC is receiving but it probably would be less than what the AAC is receiving. Would SMU be trading a Central time zone slot for a Pacific time zone slot with less visibility?

But will the Washington legislature let Washington leave without Washington State? And the same for Oregon? And if they don't/can't leave, then the 4 corners probably won't either. So all of this is moote, possibly driven by the media to avoid paying another conference a lot of money for the media rights. But are we going to let politicians or the media decide the fate of our alma mater? Something to think about.
Last edited by SMUstang on Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:54 pm

You always align yourself with the best group of brands regardless of time zone. If they are equal, then yes east is better but that ship has sailed. Until the ACC loses members this is our best and only opportunity to move up so you take it.
mustangxc

Postby Dukie » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:21 pm

mustangxc wrote:You always align yourself with the best group of brands regardless of time zone. If they are equal, then yes east is better but that ship has sailed. Until the ACC loses members this is our best and only opportunity to move up so you take it.

Exactly. Full stop. SMUstang, stop reading Joseph Hoyt; his “just asking questions” on this point a few days ago could’ve been written by Mac Effing Engel. There is no future aligning with UAB, Charlotte, and UNT.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:18 pm

I have never read anything Joseph Hoyt or Mac Engel ever wrote. I had to look them up to find out who they were. I'm not color blinded by the Pac-12 or bust crowd either. I'm interested in the ultimate greater good for SMU. If that is joining the Pac-12, great. If it is remaining in the AAC, so be it.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:15 pm

SMUstang wrote:I have never read anything Joseph Hoyt or Mac Engel ever wrote. I had to look them up to find out who they were. I'm not color blinded by the Pac-12 or bust crowd either. I'm interested in the ultimate greater good for SMU. If that is joining the Pac-12, great. If it is remaining in the AAC, so be it.

There is no future aligning with UNT, UAB, and Charlotte.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:46 pm

Dukie wrote:
JasonB wrote:Agreed about GOR, but the ACC has a special provision in their contract that allows a majority of schools to break it together.

What's your source for this? I've seen arguments that schools, possibly working with ESPN, could cause the ESPN side of the contract to become void. That's pretty convoluted and would leave those schools subject to all sorts of legal claims from any left-behind schools. I've never seen direct reporting of anything more concrete, either.

If you google you can find the legal agreement and read it. There is a provision that if 8 schools leave the conference, it dissolves the GOR.
JasonB

Postby Dukie » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:50 pm

JasonB wrote:
Dukie wrote:
JasonB wrote:Agreed about GOR, but the ACC has a special provision in their contract that allows a majority of schools to break it together.

What's your source for this? I've seen arguments that schools, possibly working with ESPN, could cause the ESPN side of the contract to become void. That's pretty convoluted and would leave those schools subject to all sorts of legal claims from any left-behind schools. I've never seen direct reporting of anything more concrete, either.

If you google you can find the legal agreement and read it. There is a provision that if 8 schools leave the conference, it dissolves the GOR.

The 2013 GOR is out there. The current GOR is not, to the best of my knowledge.
Dukie
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football