PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New to the board...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:27 pm

The A$M, or tu athletic departments wouldn't have suffered much had they worked to keep the SWC together. They went for the BIG MONEY.

Screw TRADITION, fun of old RIVALRIES, your friends, and neighbors for the ALMIGHTY DOLLAR.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:11 pm

I'm sorry some of y'all feel that way. I realize I might would feel the same way in your position. But please understand I'm someone who also wanted the SWC to remain viable. But I honestly do not believe the SWC, as it was going, would have survived long-term. I also think, even if it had, that it would largely have been left out of the "big leagues" as a BCS conference.

If that seems too greedy, then so be it. Certainly not saying this in a flame-oriented tone, but I seriously bet if you were in Texas' situation, you'd have tried to better your situation UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES as they had become. And it probably should be reminded Arkansas, not Texas or A&M or Tech or Baylor, was the first to go.
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:23 pm

hang in there SWC FAN. y OU WILL FIT IN HERE NICELY!
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:54 pm

thanks Alex; though I'm not so sure if some Ponies won't want to kick me outta here based on my disagreements already!

I just came over here to talk old Fry-era SWC. Thanks again though man.
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Re:

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:19 pm

Sixties SWC Fan wrote:thanks Alex; though I'm not so sure if some Ponies won't want to kick me outta here based on my disagreements already!

I just came over here to talk old Fry-era SWC. Thanks again though man.

Here's one my favorite memories from the old Fry-era SWC. I remember listening to this play while I was getting my haircut with Kern Tipps doing play by play. :D

PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:32 pm

One of my worst memories during the Fry era (his last year) was when we driving to tie the Horns at Austin and the refs called a fumble on Wayne Morris when he literally went down and then after his knees touched dropped the ball on the ground to get to the huddle. I knew then home cooking existed in Austin.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:43 pm

Plano, I bet that would be your 1966 breakthrough season. Before that point, only Texas or Arkansas had won the SWC. A&M maybe got some inspiration from SMU's success, because they went on to win the conference the following year (though they lost narrowly to the Ponies and LeVias in the '67 opener).

East--believe me, I know Texas has gotten some favorable calls. One example was the ridiculous so-called "TD" one of the Cash twins was awarded in 1988 vs North Texas.

I've also seen it work the other way, plenty of times. The 1992 Baylor game was perhaps the most blatant job of one-sided officiating I've ever seen. But they were determined to ensure Grant Teaff, a great coach for sure, went out on a winning note.
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:19 pm

by the way, Plano, was Mike Livingston your QB that year? I know Dandy Don came late 50's and Chuck Hixson in the late 60's, but I'm thinking ML was in between, in the mid-60's.
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Re:

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:41 pm

EastStang wrote:One of my worst memories during the Fry era (his last year) was when we driving to tie the Horns at Austin and the refs called a fumble on Wayne Morris when he literally went down and then after his knees touched dropped the ball on the ground to get to the huddle. I knew then home cooking existed in Austin.

Yeah, I remember listening to that game from my dorm room my first year at SMU.

Sixties, here are a couple more pages from a SMU football scrapbook
I used to keep in junior high. The first one is the 65 SMU win over
UT second one is from the great last second win over A$M in 67.

Mac White was QB in 65, and 66 with Mike Livingston as backup. ML started in 67 as a senior.

PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:22 pm

it may seem odd for me to say, but neat stuff regarding the newspaper clippings.
I love McClanahan's cartoons!
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Previous

Return to Football