PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New to the board...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New to the board...

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:30 am

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking a little the past couple of months, looking for some good Mustangs' info and discussion, and I've obviously found it here.

Just a quick intro, if I may (and I hope it doesn't get me booted outta here! :) ) I am one of those "teasips" I hear so many fans of other schools refer to Texas Longhorns' fans, but I want to say more than anything, I'm a huge fan of the old SWC (as my handle suggests). I know many, perhaps most, of you are a bit younger and focus exclusively on the here and now: I understand that.

While I'm always scoping out the current state of the programs, I'd love to hear recollections from those Ponies who grew up recalling the era particularly from Bill Meek thru Hayden Fry. I know the Meek years are probably pretty painful, but they preceded Hayden's days, so in some ways they're perhaps more palatable as a result.

I was a young guy even at the end of the 60's, but there's something special about that era to me, and not just regarding Darrell Royal and Texas, though obviously I enjoy reading those successes. And, true, SMU handled the 'Horns a couple of times in that decade and gave us fits a few others.

It's said that the advent of the Dallas Cowboys had a lot to do with the demise of SMU and TCU football, but that seems a bit simplistic in some ways. TCU football, for instance, dropped off dramatically before the 'Boys even had anything decent to show. SMU, meanwhile, had some incredible teams in the 40's with Walker and Rote, etc, but sagged in the Fifties, which obviously happened well before the pro team came in. Also, despite Tom Landry and Dallas being a major force by the mid-60's, that's exactly when SMU football, in that decade, won its conference title.

Anyone who would like to re-live those memories of that decade and/or make a stab at the reasons behind the successes and failures of SMU football is obviously more than welcome to.

I hope to hear from y'all as you wish, and thanks.
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

WELCOME!

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:33 am

Good to have you aboard!!!!!
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:37 am

How can any SWC fan remain a Longhorn fan after they were responsible for dismantling the SWC? Come over to the dark side and root for us.
EastStang

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:50 am

thanks AL, 'preciate the welcome.
EastStang--I can see where it seems UT had a lot to do with the SWC breakup, and perhaps there's some truth to it. The way I've always looked at it--trying to be as objective as I can--is that the thing was falling apart rapidly. I just don't see how the league could have survived much longer period in this money-driven era.

While the dollar has always been a factor, it's become THE factor in collegiate sports even (never mind the mindless money in the pros). That, in fact, is one of the biggest reasons I love the old era much better, before the bucks took control. The Sixties were an era where that took a basic backseat compared to nowadays.

Perhaps, too, if Texas had fielded any teams worth a crap those last several years, the conference as a whole would have thrived for a longer period of time.
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Postby MizterTea » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:55 am

I will bet you that most of the suckas here are ole school folks

SMU has not been "winning" any new fans lately !
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:55 pm

there are plenty of "old timers" who love to recall the days of the SWC and for my part, the mid 60's were pretty special. I was a school kid growing up in N.Dallas and both Hayden Fry and Tom Landry lived pretty close. I played ball with Hayden's sons, Randy and Zach and went to school with Kitty Landry. Also have fond memories of neighborhood cookouts at Jim Meyers' (Landry's OL coach) home watching films/highlights of the previous Cowboys' season.

I especially remember 1966 as the year both SMU and the Cowboys finally made it to the top. Of course, SMU lost in the Cotton Bowl and the Cowboys lost to the Packers in the NFL Championship game that year, but it was good to see them both prosper. 1968 was another good year with SMU making the Bluebonnett Bowl.

What I remember about SMU football in those days is that we would occasionally field a very competitive team, but could never string together several successful seasons. I think we followed that '66 Championship with a losing season before winning again in '68 and then followed that season with another losing season. Even in those good times, I recall SMU struggling to draw fans. I think we averaged less than 40k in both 1966 & 1968 and maybe drew between 25-30,000 for games with Rice, Baylor & TCU. I think the handwriting was on the wall way back then that the SWC was made up of schools/teams that had vastly different resources and wasn't a good bet to survive over the long haul.

I have even better memories of SWC bball, because we were much more competitive for longer periods of time...and it was easier to pack Moody, which was as fine a facility as existed in the SWC in those days.

Oh...and I also enjoyed the days of Freshman football when we played at the old Ownby Stadium. Just like the old JV days in High School.

Oh well, thanks for the trip down memory lane. Now what I really want is just to see SMU compete for championships again in my lifetime.
Charleston Pony

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:43 pm

that's good stuff. Thanks Charleston! (must have been cool to hang out with those Cowboys' coaches)

I agree your '68 SMU team was really good. With Hixson and LeVias, along with Richardson (Mike?) at tailback, the offense was outstanding. I recall Arkansas jumping out to a 35-0 lead with Bill Montgomery, only to have Hixson and co scare the living daylights out of Broyles' bunch, finally falling just short at 35-29.

The only teams you lost to that year were Ark (only lost to Texas all year) in Little Rock, UT (only lost to Tech) in Austin, and Ohio State (national champs, unbeaten) in Columbus. Not too shabby! My parents went to the Bluebonnet Bowl in the Astrodome and saw a fabulous 28-27 SMU victory over OU, as we were in Houston visiting my grandparents.
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Postby davish75 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:15 pm

Of course the SWC was a jewel. It should have prospered but the current people running things at UT have destroyed more the 70 years of history and tradition. The ACC is in many ways similar to the SWC and now they are giving in to their traditions in favor of catering to the TV executives. Sadly what has always made college football special is being destroyed by the big schools and TV.

Unfortunately, I have to place some blame on those who ran things at SMU. We somehow lost support from the large community in the 60s - maybe it was part of the larger social changes that started during that interesting and exciting period.

Anyways what was great about being a SMU fan during the SWC as we always had the chance to beat the state schools with all their built in advantages.
AustinTX
davish75
Junior Varsity

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:59 pm

Davish, with respecting the fact I'm a visitor over here, I sure wouldn't place the blame on Texas for dismantling the conference. It really came down to economic survival in a climate dictated, sadly, by $$$ to the point little else mattered. Texas, A&M, Arkansas, and others saw the likely inevitability that this thing was cratering financially. Had all of them stayed in the conference, it likely would mean hard times for all the schools. That's a bummer, for sure, regarding those not deemed as "big time" as a few of the teams, but I guess that's the way it rolls.

Personally, I would have LOVED things to remain the same. However, similar to how I felt about Tom Landry (who I greatly respected) his last seasons, change was inevitable and to try to hold on any longer would have just compounded the problem.

I would like to ask why, in your opinion (or anyone else's), SMU football was so powerful in the no-scholarship-limit environment thru the end of the 1940's if that was truly a big factor in the fifties and sixties in the Ponies' overall struggles. There's probably several things that contributed, but it's very interesting considering it's SWC history and all.

Thanks
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Postby davish75 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:20 pm

The SWC would not have ever cratered financially. If Texas and Texas A&M had made committment to make the conference prosper instead of working to end the conference it would be very viable today.
AustinTX
davish75
Junior Varsity

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:49 pm

Not a problem. I respect your opinion, just truly disagree with it.

Would rather talk about when it was strong anyway! :)
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:56 pm

Just got back from Mexico so sorry if its late

but none the Less Welcome
Mustangs35SMU

The SWC fall started with Arkansas

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:16 am

The SWC began to fall when Arkansas left. The effects of the SMU DP forced the issue even more. UT acted in its best interests and so did A&M. If our alum had been in the governor's office, it might have been SMU in the Big 12 instead of Baylor. :oops:
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:26 am

No, the SWC would have been fine with or without Arkansas. The only problem was that it wasn't proactive enough in the late 80's Arkansas wanted to add LSU and OU. Instead of doing so, the conference powers that be held tight. Arkansas left and that limited our ability to go after other schools and the Big 12 did the gobbling instead of us. Had we made a bold move in 1988 to go after LSU and Oklahoma, the SWC would have thrived. Even afterward, with just the 8 remaining schools, the conference would have been fine if UT and A&M had held on.
EastStang

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:53 pm

well, that's part of what makes these boards great; ya never know which way conversations will lead to!

I would still love to hear any "old school" guys' thoughts on SMU in the 60's under Hayden Fry, any recollections and impressions they have. In the meantime, thanks for all the other replies also.
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Next

Return to Football