PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Third PAC Target "Confirmed"

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Third PAC Target "Confirmed"

Postby Topper » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:06 pm

There is no reason that SMU cannot be more successful in athletics than TCU or Baylor. That was the case for several decades prior to the fallout of the DP. SMU is already academically ahead of both in terms of quality of undergraduate students and what athlete in their right mind, all other things being equal, prefer Fort Worth or Waco to Dallas? If the PAC 12 holds together we will be in a position to offer a brighter spotlight to our players and that means better recruiting. I don't know why the PAC would fall apart unless the TV Gods ordain it in an effort to weed out schools like Oregon State and Washington State from their packages. As currently constituted it makes a much better conference than the Big 12 which in past years has replaced Nebraska, Colorado, A&M, Missouri, OU, and UT with UCF, Cincy, Houston and BYU. It is no more a conference on the rise than the PAC.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:16 pm

Topper wrote:There is no reason that SMU cannot be more successful in athletics than TCU or Baylor. That was the case for several decades prior to the fallout of the DP. SMU is already academically ahead of both in terms of quality of undergraduate students and what athlete in their right mind, all other things being equal, prefer Fort Worth or Waco to Dallas? If the PAC 12 holds together we will be in a position to offer a brighter spotlight to our players and that means better recruiting. I don't know why the PAC would fall apart unless the TV Gods ordain it in an effort to weed out schools like Oregon State and Washington State from their packages. As currently constituted it makes a much better conference than the Big 12 which in past years has replaced Nebraska, Colorado, A&M, Missouri, OU, and UT with UCF, Cincy, Houston and BYU. It is no more a conference on the rise than the PAC.

100% agreed. I've said it before the Pac 12 sans USC, UCLA is much better than the Big 12 sans UT and OU. I fully also believe SMU can do better in D1 sports than tcu and baylor, once we compete on equal footing. That is exactly the reason why they have tried to blackball us into the B12.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Topper » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:57 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:
Topper wrote:There is no reason that SMU cannot be more successful in athletics than TCU or Baylor. That was the case for several decades prior to the fallout of the DP. SMU is already academically ahead of both in terms of quality of undergraduate students and what athlete in their right mind, all other things being equal, prefer Fort Worth or Waco to Dallas? If the PAC 12 holds together we will be in a position to offer a brighter spotlight to our players and that means better recruiting. I don't know why the PAC would fall apart unless the TV Gods ordain it in an effort to weed out schools like Oregon State and Washington State from their packages. As currently constituted it makes a much better conference than the Big 12 which in past years has replaced Nebraska, Colorado, A&M, Missouri, OU, and UT with UCF, Cincy, Houston and BYU. It is no more a conference on the rise than the PAC.

100% agreed. I've said it before the Pac 12 sans USC, UCLA is much better than the Big 12 sans UT and OU. I fully also believe SMU can do better in D1 sports than tcu and baylor, once we compete on equal footing. That is exactly the reason why they have tried to blackball us into the B12.
Mustangs_Maroons wrote:

TCU was barely a pretender to the throne when we were handed the DP and if you go back and look at their history, their rise in football corresponded with our fall. Baylor, on the other hand, has managed basketball and football scandals that make our little pay off deals look like a dropped ice cream cone. How they managed to stonewall, explain away, and walk away from those criminal messes is beyond my comprehension.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:18 pm

Topper, Baylor traded their soul for wins and money. It worked well for them at the cost of several dozen women's lives. They are still litigating two cases related to Rapegate with individuals that refuse to be bought and are seeking full disclosure of all the facts. These facts are being fought legally at every turn by BU. Current valuations on the cost of payouts/legal fees/revenue lost estimate at close to 600-750 million. This from a sitting Baylor trustee that was associated with the church I pastored.

Fair? No. But as Stallion pointed out before his departure, this was a different time, and we were made the example for others to fear. In addition, SMU chose to "cooperate" with the NCAA under an assumption that this would benefit our penalty. It did not, obviously. Add to that the folks on campus and faculty that were happy to see sports de-emphasized and the Pye factor, and you have the demise of athletics at SMU.

This whole scenario has been hashed out ad nauseum here and in the media. TCU had visionary core leadership, a committed coach, and the benefit of the emergence of the Big 12 needing to add teams. We settled for mediocrity, and now have realized the need to get "more serious" about the "front porch of the University".

We still lack visionary leadership IMO within the formal University leadership. But we DO have a few folks that possess that, and they are largely pushing the pill forward. they see the AAC in its future iteration is a non-starter. IF the PAC comes calling, we have folks that will push the administration to do what needs to be done to make SMU a part. The President and the AD will preen, and the reality is that is okay in my book.

I believe we will be in a far better place soon. In the immortal words of Marko Ramius: "Personally, I'd give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?"
Last edited by peruna81 on Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Aztecgolfer » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:39 pm

redpony wrote:Welcome to PF. :)
love your location. have been to San Diego a number of times. Plus your fball coach is Brady Hoke. Have followed his career as I used to watch his father John play ball in h.s. and later at Miami. Hope you all do well next season. Hopefully we will get to play you at some point in the future.

There are quite a few alumni that want to fire Hoke. He has made some questionable hires and he doesn't really do well in press conferences to defend himself. I am giving him another year before I would consider going in a different direction. He has made some good hires recently starting with Ryan Lindley as QB coach during the season. Lindley has recently been promoted to AD which is a bold move. Lindley followed Kevin O'Connell at QB and O'Connell has been the "hot ticket" in the NFL the last few years. One thing Lindley is doing is putting an emphasis on the TE position which was grossly overlooked the last few years despite sending quite a few to the NFL in recent history. Another issue was the fact that we allowed Jalen Mayden to languish on the bench as QB with him eventually moving to safety. Injuries at the position saw us bring him back after firing the OC and he did very well which begged the question as to how the coaches missed his talent and leadership qualities. Some have wondered, after getting fired from Michigan, if he didn't come back to SD to retire. Hopefully, his staff changes are successful and we put together a good season next year. We have, however, lost quite a bit to graduation (especially at the skill positions) so we have to hope that people step up. This past season we had a very inexperienced o-line which, coupled with very poor QB play early in the season (pre Mayden), saw us struggle on offense.
Aztecgolfer

Postby NavyCrimson » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:14 am

81, u nailed it!!! Where we are now falls flat on this administration.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:47 pm

You mean on the cusp of a P5 invite? Competitive facilities, outstanding recruiting, and an enormously bright future that would have been inconceivable even a few months ago?

Not defending necessarily - just sayin.’ Mistakes were certainly made in the past. But not right now. Administration is KILLING it.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:08 pm

Uh, that would be a "nope".

While it is unfair to say our administration has been obstructionist, they have a long history of doing somewhere between cruise control and the bare minimum with respect to athletics since the Death Penalty.

I would say the modern era of competitiveness got started with June Jones, who demanded we ditch some of the Pye model and provide our student-athletes with much needed support. Each successive football coach got a little more accomplished. And now with NIL, alumni outside of the various mystic boards and Circles of Champions or whatever have been pushing the bar. I would also say that in the 11th hour, maybe the aforementioned power brokers came to the realization that it's now or never.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:51 pm

Worst case: For the first time since we hired the roly-poly from Duke, our administrators didn’t get in the way. Regardless, we, my friend, are almost back.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football