PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Third PAC Target "Confirmed"

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Third PAC Target "Confirmed"

Postby Drum Major » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:02 pm

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/foo ... iego-state

Makes more sense than a lot of the other "targets."
Drum Major
Recruit

Re: Third PAC Target "Confirmed"

Postby Dukie » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:13 pm

Drum Major wrote:https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/three-of-the-pac-12s-expansion-targets-confirmed#gid=ci02b95550f0052530&pid=san-diego-state

Makes more sense than a lot of the other "targets."

I would love for Two Lane to come along.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Drum Major » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:15 pm

Yep, those three plus Tulane would be very cool.
Drum Major
Recruit

Postby Thumper » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:55 am

Keep the current Pac-12, and add us, San Diego State, Tulane and Colorado State. There are a lot of appealing travel trips for fans in that alignment.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:40 am

Thumper wrote:Keep the current Pac-12, and add us, San Diego State, Tulane and Colorado State. There are a lot of appealing travel trips for fans in that alignment.

I’ll be surprised if Colo State passes muster with Cal academically; they’re Tier 1 for research but that 90% acceptance rate really stands out and Fresno and even Boise have better rates. I’ll also be surprised if CU likes the idea, but a la Texas politics in 1995, I do wonder how CSU is positioned in Denver these days.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby laxdawg97 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:59 pm

Dukie wrote:
Thumper wrote:Keep the current Pac-12, and add us, San Diego State, Tulane and Colorado State. There are a lot of appealing travel trips for fans in that alignment.

I’ll be surprised if Colo State passes muster with Cal academically; they’re Tier 1 for research but that 90% acceptance rate really stands out and Fresno and even Boise have better rates. I’ll also be surprised if CU likes the idea, but a la Texas politics in 1995, I do wonder how CSU is positioned in Denver these days.

I was only in Denver a couple of years, but my sense was that CSU is viewed in a similar vein as UNT is in DFW. It attracts its share of reasonably high performers that need to stay close to home and/or who just want a chill experience, plus a bunch of out-of-state full payers looking for a good time and fresh powder, so there's a huge spread between the top and bottom of the curve.

Lot of similarities between Fort Collins and Denton, too. Would be a fun travel destination.
laxdawg97
Scout Team

Postby ponyboy » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:53 pm

I went to CSU for a while and the UNT comparison is a little bit fair. But the school feels far more legit and isn’t a commuter school. New stadium too.

Do I hope they join us, though? No. Plus, I can’t see CU allowing it to happen.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:10 pm

Who is Kevin Borba and what does he know?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Aztecgolfer » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:25 pm

First post here.

If the PAC adds to more after SDSU and SMU my guess is it will be Tulane and Rice. However, I really like the potential of UTSA, 3rd largest metro area in Texas, and an R1 university. Football has only been around for 12 years but they have had some success. Adding any of these three help SMU with travel and also expands the PAC's footprint in Texas and Louisiana. Gee, we recruited a rather good running back named Marshall Faulk from New Orleans in the 90s.

When y'all come to San Diego to visit:

1. Airport is close to downtown. If staying downtown you should be in your room within a half hour of landing.
2. Mission Valley is where Snapdragon stadium is. Plenty of hotels in MV but DT does have more and better restaurants.
3. If DT, you can take the trolley directly to Snapdragon. Trolley takes 24 minutes from DT to Snapdragon.
4. There are two trolley stops between Snapdragon and the SDSU main campus should you want to visit or are coming to Viejas for a BB game.
5. Best beach is Coronado. If you want a bit more "scenery" then go to Pacific Beach.
6. Balboa Park is a nice place to spend some time. Many museums, my favorite is the SD Air and Space Museum. Zoo is right next door.
7. Many food choices at Snapdragon. You have to have some fish tacos. Also, Hodad's, a well known hamburger shop in Ocean Beach, has a place there if you want a good burger.
8. Shopping? Best would be Fashion Valley which is a couple trolley stops before Snapdragon. The trolley now goes to the UTC mall in University Heights near UCSD. I don't shop so I don't know if this is as good or better than Fashion Valley.
9. Fishing? You have charter boats in Point Loma, just west of the airport. No trolley access, will want to uber.
10. Tijuana? I don't go but some seem to want to visit. The trolley takes you right down to San Ysidro near the border crossing. Once across take a taxi.

Back when I had season tickets to the Chargers I used the trolley to get there. By far the easist way to get to the stadium.

Hopefully, we are conference mates soon. Cheers!
Aztecgolfer

Postby ponyboy » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:36 pm

Hotel Del is nice. Encinitas is a fun little town.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby orguy » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:03 pm

Aztecgolfer: UTSA is perceived as a junior college similar to Boise. As such
it's unlikely the PAC is interested.
orguy
All-American

Postby Rla1022 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:44 pm

Aztecgolfer wrote:First post here.

If the PAC adds to more after SDSU and SMU my guess is it will be Tulane and Rice. However, I really like the potential of UTSA, 3rd largest metro area in Texas, and an R1 university. Football has only been around for 12 years but they have had some success. Adding any of these three help SMU with travel and also expands the PAC's footprint in Texas and Louisiana. Gee, we recruited a rather good running back named Marshall Faulk from New Orleans in the 90s.

When y'all come to San Diego to visit:

1. Airport is close to downtown. If staying downtown you should be in your room within a half hour of landing.
2. Mission Valley is where Snapdragon stadium is. Plenty of hotels in MV but DT does have more and better restaurants.
3. If DT, you can take the trolley directly to Snapdragon. Trolley takes 24 minutes from DT to Snapdragon.
4. There are two trolley stops between Snapdragon and the SDSU main campus should you want to visit or are coming to Viejas for a BB game.
5. Best beach is Coronado. If you want a bit more "scenery" then go to Pacific Beach.
6. Balboa Park is a nice place to spend some time. Many museums, my favorite is the SD Air and Space Museum. Zoo is right next door.
7. Many food choices at Snapdragon. You have to have some fish tacos. Also, Hodad's, a well known hamburger shop in Ocean Beach, has a place there if you want a good burger.
8. Shopping? Best would be Fashion Valley which is a couple trolley stops before Snapdragon. The trolley now goes to the UTC mall in University Heights near UCSD. I don't shop so I don't know if this is as good or better than Fashion Valley.
9. Fishing? You have charter boats in Point Loma, just west of the airport. No trolley access, will want to uber.
10. Tijuana? I don't go but some seem to want to visit. The trolley takes you right down to San Ysidro near the border crossing. Once across take a taxi.

Back when I had season tickets to the Chargers I used the trolley to get there. By far the easist way to get to the stadium.

Hopefully, we are conference mates soon. Cheers!

Thank you. You’re a breath of fresh air
Rla1022
Scout Team

Postby crazy horse » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:27 am

Wasn't Colorado State's President Albert Yates, one of the key instigators of the airport meeting that split the WAC 16? I know its been a long time, water under the bridge and so forth, but that really pissed me off, and hurt a LOT of programs for a few years.

And Yates, as I recall had many unkind things to say about those teams left behind. I truly wish they had acted honorably and attempted to form divisions that were satisfactory, or at least settled the issue before inviting everyone. I recall a tremendous amount of trash talk for a couple of years on the old WAC board.

Forgive, forget, and move on, I guess. Hopefully, everyone learned from that experience.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby orguy » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:25 am

laxdawg97 wrote:
Dukie wrote:

I was only in Denver a couple of years, but my sense was that CSU is viewed in a similar vein as UNT is in DFW. It attracts its share of reasonably high performers that need to stay close to home and/or who just want a chill experience, plus a bunch of out-of-state full payers looking for a good time and fresh powder, so there's a huge spread between the top and bottom of the curve.

Lot of similarities between Fort Collins and Denton, too. Would be a fun travel destination.

View Denton in a more positive light unless endless strip modern strip malls and Mickey D's
are a "good time". Ft Collins has em in spades. Denton still retains far more originality. However,
to each his own. Perhaps the homogenized sanitized landscape of ft collins is your preference

Btw: CSU is not a powderrhounds destination. Boulder is far closer to the majority
of big mountain resorts. Additionally, CU has a cosmopolitan feel which goes
hand in hand with "mountain culture". CSU is mostly a commuter school that
unlike most land grant unis, is far beneath it's big brother in Boulder.
orguy
All-American

Postby Aztecgolfer » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:00 pm

ponyboy wrote:Hotel Del is nice. Encinitas is a fun little town.

Encinitas is a nice place to visit. Golfers can check out the Scotty Cameron Gallery in DT Encinitas. Great Italian place called Truili's. If you want Mexican food, head down to Las Olas.
Aztecgolfer

Next

Return to Football