PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Third PAC Target "Confirmed"

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Third PAC Target "Confirmed"

Postby Aztecgolfer » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:03 pm

orguy wrote:Aztecgolfer: UTSA is perceived as a junior college similar to Boise. As such
it's unlikely the PAC is interested.

Really? Nearly 35K students and an R1 rating and considered a junior college. I guess it's true, in Texas everything is bigger.
Aztecgolfer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:53 pm

Dukie wrote:I would love for Two Lane to come along.

Well played
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dukie » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:35 pm

Aztecgolfer wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Hotel Del is nice. Encinitas is a fun little town.

Encinitas is a nice place to visit. Golfers can check out the Scotty Cameron Gallery in DT Encinitas. Great Italian place called Truili's. If you want Mexican food, head down to Las Olas.

The USS Midway tour is great as well. Let’s play the conference tournament on the deck!
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:44 pm

Aztecgolfer wrote:

Encinitas is a nice place to visit. Golfers can check out the Scotty Cameron Gallery in DT Encinitas. Great Italian place called Truili's. If you want Mexican food, head down to Las Olas.

Younger brother now lives in Encinitas but I've not yet visited his place. I haven't been to Cali in more than 10 years but with 3 brothers living out there now I'm going to have to make a west coast trip before too much longer.,
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:38 pm

Aztecgolfer wrote:First post here.

If the PAC adds to more after SDSU and SMU my guess is it will be Tulane and Rice. However, I really like the potential of UTSA, 3rd largest metro area in Texas, and an R1 university. Football has only been around for 12 years but they have had some success. Adding any of these three help SMU with travel and also expands the PAC's footprint in Texas and Louisiana. Gee, we recruited a rather good running back named Marshall Faulk from New Orleans in the 90s.

If a school's academic ranking along with it's metro/media location is really important, than Rice would certainly have to be considered but assuming commitment to athletic success, along with a school's academic standing is what will ultimately determine the worthiness of a prospective new member, Tulane is an obvious choice. UTSA has a lot more in common with UNT than others in the PAC. Assuming SMU does get invited, I guess we will see how important having more schools in the central time zone becomes
Charleston Pony

Postby mtrout » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:58 pm

The only thing I've confirmed over the past 6 months is Kliavkoff is in over his head.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:21 pm

mtrout wrote:The only thing I've confirmed over the past 6 months is Kliavkoff is in over his head.

I think that remains to be determined but being last to the table certainly feeds the rumor mill
Charleston Pony

Postby MustangStealth » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:29 pm

Aztecgolfer wrote:
orguy wrote:Aztecgolfer: UTSA is perceived as a junior college similar to Boise. As such

Really? Nearly 35K students and an R1 rating and considered a junior college. I guess it's true, in Texas everything is bigger.

It's a large commuter school.
98% of students come from in state (most from San Antonio or Austin)
10% of students live on campus
<$200M endowment (less than half what the current smallest P5 endowment is)
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
mtrout wrote:The only thing I've confirmed over the past 6 months is Kliavkoff is in over his head.

I think that remains to be determined but being last to the table certainly feeds the rumor mill

I understand there is a meeting of the presidents on Tuesday. It will be interesting to see if they agree with the media offers and also decide to add the two schools mentioned. Failure to do so will only indicate there are a lot more problems to be resolved and a possible break up of the conference.
redpony

Postby peruna81 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:05 pm

I recall the same thing being said about Kevin Warren three years ago. He was said to be out of his depth regarding his handling of "COVID crisis", and yet managed to re-recruit USC and UCLA, and signed a great media rights deal for the Big 10. Pretty fair work during COVID years, and all pretty quiet till it was done.

Not to poop in your chili, but I suspect that Kliavkoff is being prudent in openly indicating that the conference is moving to expand, and also trying to secure the same thing Warren did for the Big Whatever-They-Are-Now.

Just pleased we are in the discussion...and others are upset.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:37 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Aztecgolfer wrote:First post here.

If the PAC adds to more after SDSU and SMU my guess is it will be Tulane and Rice. However, I really like the potential of UTSA, 3rd largest metro area in Texas, and an R1 university. Football has only been around for 12 years but they have had some success. Adding any of these three help SMU with travel and also expands the PAC's footprint in Texas and Louisiana. Gee, we recruited a rather good running back named Marshall Faulk from New Orleans in the 90s.

If a school's academic ranking along with it's metro/media location is really important, than Rice would certainly have to be considered but assuming commitment to athletic success, along with a school's academic standing is what will ultimately determine the worthiness of a prospective new member, Tulane is an obvious choice. UTSA has a lot more in common with UNT than others in the PAC. Assuming SMU does get invited, I guess we will see how important having more schools in the central time zone becomes

I doubt if Rice is interested in making more serious financial commitments to big time athletics than it currently does. The school has plenty of money to throw at sports, but the time involved in travel if PAC membership became a reality would be more time from the classroom than the non-revenue sports could reasonably expect to handle. I have several work colleagues who attended Rice and they don't keep up with college sports other than years when Rice is winning at baseball. The AAC is about as big as they can handle.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:07 am

The ONLY school that I would be sad to leave in the AAC is Tulane. Huge plus if somehow Tulane and SMU both land in the PAC. NOLA is a great trip and Tulane fans are a great group. Really hope this happens.

Adds another Central Time slot to the mix. Academically a great school.

How about Tulane being the only SEC / PAC member?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Webmaster » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:25 am

PonyTime wrote:The ONLY school that I would be sad to leave in the AAC is Tulane. Huge plus if somehow Tulane and SMU both land in the PAC. NOLA is a great trip and Tulane fans are a great group. Really hope this happens.

Adds another Central Time slot to the mix. Academically a great school.

Agree 100%. Always my favorite away game. Hospitality of the city and the fans never disappoints. Clearly demonstrated this year the potential of what they could consistently be with the right commitment.

Plus, the PAC I would love to see the Press Release about how the PAC upgraded the conference by replacing USC with Tulane.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby Aztecgolfer » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:30 am

Dukie wrote:
Aztecgolfer wrote:

The USS Midway tour is great as well. Let’s play the conference tournament on the deck!

Yeah, nice attraction but hell no to playing BB on it. We did it the first time versus Syracuse. Boeheim promised he wouldn't play zone and lied. It was windy so we couldn't hit a three and lost.
Aztecgolfer

Postby Aztecgolfer » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:33 am

MustangStealth wrote:
Aztecgolfer wrote:

It's a large commuter school.
98% of students come from in state (most from San Antonio or Austin)
10% of students live on campus
<$200M endowment (less than half what the current smallest P5 endowment is)

Thanks for the info. SDSU was like that some 25 years ago.
Aztecgolfer

PreviousNext

Return to Football