PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Realignment Update

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Realignment Update

Postby Nedward » Thu May 04, 2023 2:46 pm

Ranking the absolute clowns sending out garbage: 1) Heartland 2) Dennis Dodd

The rest tend to comingle.

Absolute and utter bullsheet. Don't give them the benefit of a click please.

Heartland people writing stuff (and I use that term loosely) are just a bunch of internet punks who don't do anything but parrot the big 12 talking points they are fed.

Dennis Dodd...don't know if they have pictures of him naked on a pony but he's been head cheerleader for awhile on CBS. I see the article, look at the byline then nope.
Nedward
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Thu May 04, 2023 3:25 pm

Canzano ripped him and the B12 a new one in his latest article, naming names. It’s a breathtaking read.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Thu May 04, 2023 4:00 pm

I don't know if Amazon and Apple are still interested in PAC media rights. But combined they have $3.5 Trillion or so in capitalization. And if either of them want to be in the P5 business, the PAC is all that's left on the shelf. Not sure the PAC bargaining position is all that dire.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Webmaster » Thu May 04, 2023 4:06 pm

ponyboy wrote:Canzano ripped him and the B12 a new one in his latest article, naming names. It’s a breathtaking read.

That's just downright pathetic B12. I'd pity them if they weren't such a steaming collection of [deleted]. Clearly they never sat in David McHam's Journalism Ethics class. In fact, David should come out of retirement, as clearly his services are needed as never before.

Sorry for the rant. I'll get off the soapbox.

So for those of you who are interested... subscription required.

Canzano: Disinformation campaign vs. Pac-12 is tired
Underbelly of college athletics is getting ugly.
https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-disinformation-campaign-vs
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby Topper » Thu May 04, 2023 4:19 pm

I suspect that ESPN is heavily involved in attempts to destabilize the PAC. As a purely business proposition, they would love to pick up the top PAC media markets by combining them with the Big 12. The networks essentially run college football. Fans, traditions, regional rivalries, secondary sports, and the athletes be damned. This is big business and viewrship is the name of the game.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri May 05, 2023 9:16 am

Topper wrote:I suspect that ESPN is heavily involved in attempts to destabilize the PAC. As a purely business proposition, they would love to pick up the top PAC media markets by combining them with the Big 12. The networks essentially run college football. Fans, traditions, regional rivalries, secondary sports, and the athletes be damned. This is big business and viewrship is the name of the game.

Typical big business... where they can't see the long-term goal through all the greenbacks. I would say the primary thing that distinguishes the PAC and make it more valuable than a patchwork quilt conference like the B12 precisely are those traditions, rivalries and Olympic sports.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Fri May 05, 2023 4:01 pm

Also ESPN needs name brand west coast football for 11 p.m. time slots. Who is going to watch Utah State vs. Wyoming? Oregon vs. Cal will get viewers. They need each other. I don't think ESPN is behind this. I really think the Big XII folks with their tiny pekkers are worried that the PAC may invade their territory and are working hard to destabilize it. And it would be embarrassing to TCU and Baylor for SMU to join the PAC and they got snubbed.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Topper » Fri May 05, 2023 4:46 pm

EastStang wrote:Also ESPN needs name brand west coast football for 11 p.m. time slots. Who is going to watch Utah State vs. Wyoming? Oregon vs. Cal will get viewers. They need each other. I don't think ESPN is behind this. I really think the Big XII folks with their tiny pekkers are worried that the PAC may invade their territory and are working hard to destabilize it. And it would be embarrassing to TCU and Baylor for SMU to join the PAC and they got snubbed.

That is why they want 3 or 4 PAC schools to bolt for the Big 12. Cheaper to add 4 teams with decent ratings than 12 teams that include us, SDSU, Wash St. and Oregon St.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby max the wonder dog » Tue May 09, 2023 12:26 pm

Tucson paper says delay in signing TV contract may be that at least one of the potential suitors -- ESPN (Disney) and/or Amazon, but not Apple -- are concerned about the optics of signing a big TV contact while big layoffs are under way.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/pac-12-hotline-why-the-delay-in-media-rights-negotiations-wsu-president-offers-an-explanation/article_38b65244-ed0c-11ed-be29-6b5875bf9610.html
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Tue May 09, 2023 1:44 pm

I'll offer a thought, unsupported by any facts....ESPN and other potential suitors that have "bowed out" of the TV deals are playing a long game in being able to rush in for a last-minute bid. Kinda like online auctioning with last second bids.

One fella here that bids projects with other competitors calls it "hero bidding"... you come in and save the day for the business that is buying. Would not be surprised if that is going on.

Of course, I was the guy that bought Braniff stock...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue May 09, 2023 2:12 pm

I still have some Braniff wooden nickels somewhere
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby EastStang » Wed May 10, 2023 8:28 am

Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and maybe Arizona State are viable commodities to networks. They have two benefits, western time zone and name recognition. They are no USC and UCLA, but they are certainly viable commodities. I don't know if ESPN is playing a game, or the PAC 12 is shopping for the best deal.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby BUS » Wed May 10, 2023 10:12 am

Same message - To be desired we need to win a lot of games. That is everything we can do, win games.

Mark, I have a round tuit in my desk. :D
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Dukie » Wed May 10, 2023 5:04 pm

Andrew Marchand has been posting a steady stream of anti-PAC 12 items for months, but I suppose it's worth noting that he's out today with a fresh hot bit of news that a PAC 12-Amazon deal is ... "very unlikely."

I am kidding. This is not news at all. It is simply more negative speculation--carefully couched to appear important while also committing to nothing definite--by someone who has clearly been hoping for months that the PAC 12 fails.

Here is the credulous SI piece quoting Marchand (I'm not linking to him directly):

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/foo ... y-unlikely
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Rla1022 » Thu May 11, 2023 3:37 pm

Honestly no one HAS A Clue. The most honest answer was the one posted about orgs waiting because of how it appears after big tech lay offs. Disney just announced they are finally consolidating platforms including ESPN and Hulu. Amazon just laid off more and MS just announced no raises or bonuses. There’s no answer happening any time soon.
Rla1022
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Football