PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Realignment Update

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Realignment Update

Postby Webmaster » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:56 am

The PAC12 CEO Group met yesterday apparently, but apparently adjourned with no big announcements.

John Canzano tweeted that he was told by source in the Pac-12 Conference CEO Group that the board meeting was productive.

“Good progress” on media deal and the 10 schools “remain committed to each other.”

The board meets again in 2 weeks.

So for the Pony Nation, it looks like more watch and wait. At least there's plenty of excitement coming out of spring FB practice.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Re: Realignment Update

Postby Webmaster » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:33 am

https://www.750thegame.com/canzano-pac- ... n-tuesday/

PAC12 insider John Canzano is reporting that the PAC12 CEO group is meeting again this coming Tuesday, March 21st.

“I do think what’s going to happen is I think the Pac-12 is going to end up with ESPN for its tier-1 rights, I think you’re going to see Apple and Amazon come in with a streaming service for the tier-two rights – the Pac-12 Networks games – I think it will be blended together.”

He is also reporting that expansion news re: SMU and SDSU might be leaked in advance of the media rights announcement.

So circle next Tuesday on your calendars.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby BUS » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:33 pm

Perfect. That would my mom's 97th birthday.
Too perfect
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:34 pm

BUS wrote:Perfect. That would my mom's 97th birthday.
Too perfect

That would be a great birthday present for her!
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:47 pm

Perfect. That would my mom's 97th birthday.
Too perfect
BUS

Postby BUS » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:48 pm

The true mustang.
BUS

Postby Paladin » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:18 pm

Webmaster wrote:https://www.750thegame.com/canzano-pac-12-dominos-will-start-falling-on-tuesday/

PAC12 insider John Canzano is reporting that the PAC12 CEO group is meeting again this coming Tuesday, March 21st.

“I do think what’s going to happen is I think the Pac-12 is going to end up with ESPN for its tier-1 rights, I think you’re going to see Apple and Amazon come in with a streaming service for the tier-two rights – the Pac-12 Networks games – I think it will be blended together.”

He is also reporting that expansion news re: SMU and SDSU might be leaked in advance of the media rights announcement.

So circle next Tuesday on your calendars.

...and throwing some shade at the Big 12, Love it !
Paladin
All-American

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:22 pm

I saw one president say that the pac 12 would get the bronze medal in media money.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Vitale » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:47 am

The Big 12 schools get about $32 million per year (for comparison, AAC schools get a little under $7 million per year).
Nothing would be sweeter than to see the Pac-12 get a higher rate ... assuming we get in.
Vitale
All-American

Postby max the wonder dog » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:11 pm

Mail Bag column in San Jose Mercury News --

" . . . SMU's football potential is greater that any of the remaining schools in the PAC-12.

. . . as one source old the Hotline,'Besides USC and Oregon, nobody in the conference could beat SMU's resources'."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/03/17/mailbag-ucla-and-arizona-as-blue-bloods-smus-potential-colorado-states-future-issues-for-the-wcc-and-mw-and-more/

Whole column is worth a read.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:02 pm

I know that's the perception of the school -- old folks will remember the t-shirts with the BMW logo with the letters "SMU" around it -- but is it accurate? Apart from a handful of very generous alums, how extensive are our resources?
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:10 pm

giacfsp wrote:I know that's the perception of the school -- old folks will remember the t-shirts with the BMW logo with the letters "SMU" around it -- but is it accurate? Apart from a handful of very generous alums, how extensive are our resources?

What? Very extensive. And when engaged/motivated they dwarf Duke’s, for one. (Not enough of the Duke alums with serious money care about sports—think Melinda Gates, not Lamar Hunt.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:28 pm

I know they can be extensive (see the Weber football complex and the buildings with people's name on them). But it feels like we operate with more budget restrictions than some. That's all I meant. But I don't really know, so I'll defer to you.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:45 pm

giacfsp wrote:I know they can be extensive (see the Weber football complex and the buildings with people's name on them). But it feels like we operate with more budget restrictions than some. That's all I meant. But I don't really know, so I'll defer to you.

I can’t judge the university’s receptiveness, though I’m not optimistic there. But NIL opens things up, doesn’t it.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:59 pm

Absolutely
giacfsp
Heisman

Next

Return to Football