PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Realignment Update

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Realignment Update

Postby ponyboy » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:29 pm

We have conditional invites, subject to successful completion of the media deal and to be announced at that date and time. We’ll also need at that point to formally inform the AAC, something that has to happen before August if we expect to compete in the PAC-12 in 2024, as is the plan.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:32 pm

Bad news sells papers, generates clicks. Good news doesn't. I believe something was percolating when UCF, Cincy and UH left the AAC. Why would we have said yes to UNT if we weren't leaving? There's probably more to the story than we know.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby ponyboy » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:38 pm

Everything you need to know I’ve just written in my last three posts on this thread.
ponyboy

Postby Rla1022 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:40 pm

ponyboy wrote:So much misinformation going around - all due to suckers buying in to the garbage being disseminated via a Big12 propaganda campaign run by the sports consulting firm Endeavor. Fact: There has been no predatory behavior by the Big 12 because none in the PAC 12 are remotely interested. Fact: The media deal is still moving along nicely. Fact: SDSU and SMU are a core part of that deal and will get official invites. Fact: Though it’s probably just a few weeks away from being done, the media deal doesn’t have to be done until late summer. The timeline narrative is also being driven by propagandists. Everyone involved, truly involved, is relaxed and confident.

I know right. No different than a few years ago when the pac 12 was gonna gobble up UT and OU and kill the big 12. Little did we know it was gonna be the trash conference of the SEC
Rla1022
Scout Team

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:15 pm

CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:50 pm

I like Wilner, but he is a pro-PAC guy. I like to get my news from more objective sources such as Forbes Magazine. My dream: A southwest branch of the PAC with SMU, UTSA, Rice and Tulane. And games against Stanford, Washington, Oregon, the Arizona schools, Utah, Colorado, etc. And a full Ford Stadium.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:16 am

Fun Facts:

The post-realignment Big 12 will have two Top 10 media markets -- #5 DFW and #7 Houston. Three top 20 when you add #17 Orlando, and no other top 30 markets.

If PAC-12 picks up up SMU and SDSU they also will have two Top 10 markets post-realignment -- #5 DFW and #10 SF-Oakland-San Jose. Five Top 20 when you add #11 Phoenix, #12 Seattle, and #16 Denver, and seven Top 30 when you add #22 Portland and #30 San Diego.

7 Top 30 Markets vs. 3 Top 30 markets. It's inconceivable to me that the PAC 12 media deal won't be in the same ballpark as the Big 12 deal.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:37 am

SMUstang wrote: I like Wilner, but he is a pro-PAC guy. I like to get my news from more objective sources such as Forbes Magazine. My dream: A southwest branch of the PAC with SMU, UTSA, Rice and Tulane. And games against Stanford, Washington, Oregon, the Arizona schools, Utah, Colorado, etc. And a full Ford Stadium.

The point of being P5 is to get an advantage over some of the other teams. What you propose would defeat the purpose and is my nightmare scenario.
mustangxc

Postby Topper » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:42 am

max the wonder dog wrote:Fun Facts:

The post-realignment Big 12 will have two Top 10 media markets -- #5 DFW and #7 Houston. Three top 20 when you add #17 Orlando, and no other top 30 markets.

If PAC-12 picks up up SMU and SDSU they also will have two Top 10 markets post-realignment -- #5 DFW and #10 SF-Oakland-San Jose. Five Top 20 when you add #11 Phoenix, #12 Seattle, and #16 Denver, and seven Top 30 when you add #22 Portland and #30 San Diego.

7 Top 30 Markets vs. 3 Top 30 markets. It's inconceivable to me that the PAC 12 media deal won't be in the same ballpark as the Big 12 deal.

Not to mention that the PAC includes 6 flagship state universities opposed to 2 in the Big 12. Both Big 12 flagships are in smaller states than those in the PAC. The PAC has the only P5 schools in Washington, Oregon, Arizona and Colorado. The Big 12 has the only P5 schools in Kansas and West Virginia. The PAC 12 may have damaged their media bargaining power due to poor timing, but looking at well spent advertising dollars there is no comparison. PAC rights are more valuable.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:28 pm

If UTSA, Rice, and Tulane were offered invitations as well, I might decline the invite. The point is to join the P5 club, not turn an existing P5 into a G5. I mean, hell, let’s bring UNT and SFA while we’re at it.
ponyboy

Postby Rla1022 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:51 pm

ponyboy wrote:If UTSA, Rice, and Tulane were offered invitations as well, I might decline the invite. The point is to join the P5 club, not turn an existing P5 into a G5. I mean, hell, let’s bring UNT and SFA while we’re at it.

Records of ASU 2022
Arizona State Sun Devils Stats ; Record: 3-9 (114th of 131) (Schedule & Results) ; Conference: Pac-12

UTSA , rice and Tulane all had great seasons last year compared to ASU. There on another rebuilding year
Rla1022
Scout Team

Postby Dukie » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:05 pm

Rla1022 wrote:
ponyboy wrote:If UTSA, Rice, and Tulane were offered invitations as well, I might decline the invite. The point is to join the P5 club, not turn an existing P5 into a G5. I mean, hell, let’s bring UNT and SFA while we’re at it.

Records of ASU 2022
Arizona State Sun Devils Stats ; Record: 3-9 (114th of 131) (Schedule & Results) ; Conference: Pac-12

UTSA , rice and Tulane all had great seasons last year compared to ASU. There on another rebuilding year

That ASU football currently sucks is just ... not remotely the point.

And without conceding your point, you might also check how "great" that Rice season was. Perhaps in particular compare Rice's game at USC with Arizona State's game at USC.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:42 pm

I don't think there are any schools "good" enough for SMU. We should just forget the whole thing.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:02 pm

SMUstang wrote: I like Wilner, but he is a pro-PAC guy. I like to get my news from more objective sources such as Forbes Magazine. My dream: A southwest branch of the PAC with SMU, UTSA, Rice and Tulane. And games against Stanford, Washington, Oregon, the Arizona schools, Utah, Colorado, etc. And a full Ford Stadium.

Man i just do not get the love for Rice, UTSA and Tulane. We are trying to separate up, not pull down.
gostangs

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:19 pm

SMUstang wrote:I don't think there are any schools "good" enough for SMU. We should just forget the whole thing.

The Big XII, ACC, PAC-12, even MWC schools are all good enough for SMU. You are talking about inviting the CUSA schools which is the most absurd suggestion I have heard from a supposed SMU fan in a long time.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Football