PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Realignment Update

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Realignment Update

Postby ponyboy » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:13 pm

GotMyESPY wrote:
ponyboy wrote:This tweet just in, by the way, from somebody named Derek Silva:

@dereksilva1234
3h
Replying to @JWMediaDC @DavidSmoak and 2 others
“B12 hiring a PR firm to undermine another conf (if true) isn't just poor sportsmanship it impacts student-athletes and their futures. HS students, coaches & parents should be aware. It's not a conf I'd want my kid affiliated with. Good teams but dirty people.”

(raises hand) That would be me (@dereksilva1234). And I wholeheartedly stand by what I wrote, even if I got a number of trolls panning my comment. I do believe that a coordinated attack on the PAC12 or any other conference impacts student athletes attending and playing for those schools.

I'm not naïve and I recognize that conferences compete for athletes and millions of dollars, but I'd prefer to see them compete on the field, not on social media. Smear and disinformation campaigns are for those who can't win on other terms. Winners/Champions don't need to do it. They let the scoreboard do the talking.

Oh wow! How’d you end up here?
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GotMyESPY » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:54 pm

ponyboy wrote:
GotMyESPY wrote:
ponyboy wrote:

Oh wow! How’d you end up here?

Been here a while. :) Along with other SMU-related fan sites and message boards through the years. SMU Class of '94.
GotMyESPY

Postby Arkpony » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:52 pm

My son is SMU Class of ‘94!!!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Webmaster » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:12 pm

John Canzano reports:

The Pac-12 Conference continues to negotiate its media rights deal and explore expansion. I was told on Wednesday by a CEO Group member that “the board likes the deal” that is taking shape, but the conference presidents and chancellors don’t seem to be in a hurry.

A Pac-12 source reminded me on Wednesday that the Big Ten Conference didn’t finalize its new media rights agreement until last August — only 11 months before the expiration of its deal. The Pac-12’s current media-rights contract doesn’t expire until July 1, 2024. Keep that in mind while we wait.

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-timing-is-everything-for
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:34 am

One of the things Embody said was that SMU lawyers are now involved which is a good sign.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyME » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:18 pm

So now it’s wait til this summer? Talk about lost momentum…what exactly was the purpose of the very public meeting at the basketball game last winter? I hope it happens but this is becoming absurd. Wrap it up all ready.
Last edited by PonyME on Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby mtrout » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:01 pm

It's just the media trying to get clicks indefinitely. Kliavkoff hasn't posted on twitter in a year and the only real news is like if some youtuber gets an AD or president to say something at Bread Winners Cafe.

Kliavsoft is either gonna turn this into a massive bidding war and present the Pac12 presidents with an $8B offer from LIV or failbomb and sign an exclusive rights deal with Stadium and golden parachute out of this thing.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:15 pm

PonyME wrote:So now it’s wait til this summer? Talk about lost momentum…what exactly was the purpose of the very public meeting at the basketball game last winter? I hope it happens but this is becoming absurd. Wrap it up all ready.

You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. Get some facts and come back.
ponyboy

Postby ponyboy » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:51 pm

Tony Altimore

@TJAltimore
·
11h
It's time...

I understand process, I understand decorum, and I understand why they haven't yet, but the Easter Bunny needs to drop off SDSU + SMU in San Francisco as he hops around the country today!

It's obviously been a done deal for months, but it's time to announce it, Pac!
ponyboy

Postby mtrout » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:20 am

mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:06 pm

mtrout wrote:Speaking of TJ Altimore
https://twitter.com/TJAltimore/status/1 ... 37920?s=20

Fascinating assessment suggesting academic peers are more important than the average fan believes.

8/ CONF & RESOURCE CLUSTERS:

When looking at total athletic budgets vs. academic budgets, the confs continue to align together in cluster groups (with some exceptions), and the long, close institutional connections between B1G+Pac (+ACC, too) schools are especially noticeable.

The biggest misconception for college sports fans is that all the power is held by the big sports schools, which is NOT true.

These are *COLLEGES* and if you're not thinking about the AAU's priorities (or its leaders), you'll miss the big picture."

SMU is among the strongest academic schools in a position to move up to like-oriented conferences, i.e., PAC-12 and ACC. The next candidates would be Tulane and Rice, based on these criteria. With very large academic budgets and endowments, these two schools deserve more attention, if you want similar academically oriented schools in your conference. BigXII doesn't care, but the PAC-12 apparently does.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Topper » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:30 pm

Water Pony wrote:

Fascinating assessment suggesting academic peers are more important than the average fan believes.

When looking at total athletic budgets vs. academic budgets, the confs continue to align together in cluster groups (with some exceptions), and the long, close institutional connections between B1G+Pac (+ACC, too) schools are especially noticeable.

The biggest misconception for college sports fans is that all the power is held by the big sports schools, which is NOT true.

These are *COLLEGES* and if you're not thinking about the AAU's priorities (or its leaders), you'll miss the big picture."

SMU is among the strongest academic schools in a position to move up to like-oriented conferences, i.e., PAC-12 and ACC. The next candidates would be Tulane and Rice, based on these criteria. With very large academic budgets and endowments, these two schools deserve more attention, if you want similar academically oriented schools in your conference. BigXII doesn't care, but the PAC-12 apparently does.

I haven't heard that Tulane or Rice are pushing hard to move up in conference right now. IMO neithe will move up when the next round of media deals are finalized. At that point, I see the major conferences shedding teams rather than growing. No doubt, the ACC might be looking for new members if Va Tech, N. Carolina, Clemson, Florida St. and Miami all leave. But then, it wouldn't really be the ACC anymore would it? Same with the PAC. Washington, Oregon and possibly Cal and Stanford could go Big 10 at which time the 4 corners would need the Big 12 to survive.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Ikus » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:28 am

mtrout wrote:It's just the media trying to get clicks indefinitely. Kliavkoff hasn't posted on twitter in a year and the only real news is like if some youtuber gets an AD or president to say something at Bread Winners Cafe.

Kliavsoft is either gonna turn this into a massive bidding war and present the Pac12 presidents with an $8B offer from LIV or failbomb and sign an exclusive rights deal with Stadium and golden parachute out of this thing.

It's a deal that will be worth billions. Of course it's being done behind closed doors. They're getting plenty of clicks already. It would be foolish to announce every procedural step to the public.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:40 pm

Water Pony wrote:

FWIW the Spring 2023 SMU alumni magazine reported that "During the 2021 review cycle, released in early 2022, SMU was only two spots from reaching the R1 goal." It added that in 2021-2022 SMU received the highest total research awards in a single academic year -- 41% higher than the five-year average.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Statler » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:30 pm

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2023/04/12/colorado-regents-to-meet-on-monday-as-big-12-expansion-rumors-linger/

Most of the truck stop conference so called news has been generated to get clicks. However if the Buffs BOR are meeting Monday then this may be something to watch one way or the other.

Then after posting the above article this was next:

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2023/04/12/colorado-ad-rick-george-no-truth-to-rumor-cu-could-vote-to-leave-pac-12-next-week/
Statler
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football