PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ASU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: ASU

Postby laxdawg97 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:39 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I will also add that I think that the B12 is playing dirty tactics with their smearing campaign. It's akin to bad politics and bad form by this conference, who is clearly afraid of being left as the worst of the P5 conferences. I suppose it's survival but at least try to play clean. I'm sure that tcu, baylor and tech will continue to try to blackball SMU any chance they get.

In truth, this unscrupulous behavior is confirming the feelings of superiority Pac12 schools have always held toward their Big12 counterparts. They may respect the scrappiness and resiliency of the ag schools, and the ability of the religious schools to evolve, but zero current or future Big12 schools have ever been viewed as true peers by Pac12 leaders. Most would rather abandon athletics entirely than stoop to such lowbrow tactics.
laxdawg97
Scout Team

Postby Topper » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:48 pm

TCU desperately wants the PAC to implode so that they through their influence then can keep SMU in an inferior conference. It is that simple. TCU rightly fears that all else being equal they cannot or don't want to have to compete with us for recruits who want to stay home in the DFW area and play for a P5 program. I can't say that I blame them given the relative attractiveness of SMU as an educational institution and Dallas as a place to live compared to TCU and Fort Worth. Froggie Fever's fantasies are in line with the Big 12's overall desire to keep another Texas school out of the P5.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:23 pm

Topper wrote:Froggie Fever's fantasies are in line with the Big 12's overall desire to keep another Texas school out of the P5.

I have been a strong proponent of keeping SMU on the TCU non conf. (not that my opinion/pref. has much weight).

It would be fun to have SMU be in conf. w/ TCU. I do not know why you think I have disdain towards SMU.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Rla1022 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:46 pm

FroggieFever wrote:Silliness. Of course they are talking. OR and WA are talking to B1G and leftovers to Big 12 et al.

Incoming Oregon president John Karl Scholz on if he has a preference for UO’s conference affiliation: “I cannot answer that question right now. I am a hardcore Oregon Duck, but very much want to see what’s in the best interest.”

Here we go again.
Rla1022
Scout Team

Postby Water Pony » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:51 pm

FF:

I value your participation in Ponyfans; however, two issues strike many of us as less than supportive:

1. Your quote "Regardless, as it pertains to SMU, we will be just fine and end up in a better place than we are now." suggests we will be OK (?) but offers no specifics on how that might be, especially when the BigXII continues its campaign to dismember the PAC-12, which we view as our only current and realistic opportunity to return to a Power Conference.

2. The BigXII and its commissioner are absolutely behaving in an aggressive manner against a fellow P5 conference with the disinformation and/or disingenuous leaks and intentions to steal the 4 Corner schools. Candidly, this is more than self-serving, it is predatory.

You can't it both ways, steal PAC-12 schools and report "we will be fine."
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rla1022 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:52 pm

FroggieFever wrote:
Topper wrote:Froggie Fever's fantasies are in line with the Big 12's overall desire to keep another Texas school out of the P5.

I have been a strong proponent of keeping SMU on the TCU non conf. (not that my opinion/pref. has much weight).

It would be fun to have SMU be in conf. w/ TCU. I do not know why you think I have disdain towards SMU.

Because you haven’t post a single positive thing.
Rla1022
Scout Team

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:56 pm

Water Pony wrote:FF:

I value your participation in Ponyfans; however, two issues strike many of us as less than supportive:

1. Your quote "Regardless, as it pertains to SMU, we will be just fine and end up in a better place than we are now." suggests we will be OK (?) but offers no specifics on how that might be, especially when the BigXII continues its campaign to dismember the PAC-12, which we view as our only current and realistic opportunity to return to a Power Conference.

2. The BigXII and its commissioner are absolutely behaving in an aggressive manner against a fellow P5 conference with the disinformation and/or disingenuous leaks and intentions to steal the 4 Corner schools. Candidly, this is more than self-serving, it is predatory.

You can't it both ways, steal PAC-12 schools and report "we will be fine."

Thank you. Well said on both points.

1) SMU will be picked up by TPTB. (Likely with the likes of the SDSU's et al.) This puts SMU in the same ring as Stanford, Cal etc. (aka: upgrade). SMU is the most valuable non-P5 IMO and, if not for Baylor, would be in the Big 12. (Mind you, ADJD is Leigh Steinberg's protege and also has close ties with Dallas/SMU Athletics.) TCU had and has no problem with SMU in the Big 12 (if the $ was there). (IMO Houston was a dumb reactionary move but abv my paygrade.) This is not the same TCU whn CGP stupidly said "We're not going to help SMU again."

2) No question. Correct.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:11 pm

Rla1022 wrote:Because you haven’t post a single positive thing.

SMU is superior, academically, to TCU.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:28 pm

FF, question for you, who from the B12 really has the most disdain for SMU? i always assumed it was TCU because of the closer historical rivalry, the D vs FW battle, but it appears you believe it's Baylor?
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Topper » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:44 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:I know someone who is neighbor to a guy who has some reallllly strong inside information. He says Tech, Baylor and Okie State are all begging the Pac12 to let them in so they can escape their failing conference. With Tx and OU leaving they understand the B12 is not viable in the long term and they are looking for a better level of competition :P .

Exactly. My I have no personal problem with FF. He is loyal to TCU and he should be. I just find it unusual that when asked to give corroborating details about his iside information he finds a passive agressive way to ignore those legitimate questions and instead focus on his alleged victimization by the rest of us. The internet is a convenient place for people to manufacture non-existent credentials and use them as a pretext to spread whatever story they like whether based in reality or not.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:55 pm

This disinformation campaign is because the Big XII is absolutely terrified of the PAC 12 entering Texas and recruiting. Which purple uniform would a top prospect in Lufkin want to go to UW or TCU? Or Stanford Cardinal or UH red? BYU blue or Arizona blue? The Big XII’s tiny phallic envy is shown by its name.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:47 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:FF, question for you, who from the B12 really has the most disdain for SMU? i always assumed it was TCU because of the closer historical rivalry, the D vs FW battle, but it appears you believe it's Baylor?

Baylor.

Baylor is in a mess financially. Living on borrowed time and knows it does not have the facilities, infrastructure nor endowment that SMU has.

Sure, the men and women in the room @ TCU look the other way @ SMU but acknowledge the value-add. Baylor is looking out for Baylor, no one else. (Which, to some extent, we all do.)

Tech and Okie Lite have not openly expressed disinterest but would be the next pick of the litter of rejection.

Media likes Dallas and isolates it from Fort Worth. (As of now.) We, SMU, will be fine.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:31 pm

FF, glad you have an opinion. Don't always agree with it, but by God's grace you can differ with anyone you want and get away with it...except your wife.

BTW, your'e spot on about BU.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:54 pm

Baylor wouldn’t be in the B12 if Ann Richards hadn’t blackmailed UT and A&M and now they are in a conference without those two schools, or MO, CO, NE, and OU.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Statler » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:03 pm

Statler
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football