PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ASU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ASU

Postby Topper » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:41 am

https://www.statepress.com/article/2023 ... s-response

Both Utah and ASU representatives have made strong statements in support of holding the PAC 12 together for a new media rights package in the last few days. And yet the Big 12 media machine continues to beat the drum of dissolution. Significantly the ASU president stated "There have been no discussions with the Big 12 on moving."
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: ASU

Postby Aztecgolfer » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:06 am

The undermining of the PAC by the B12 is rather unprecedented. I expect the PAC schools will remember this come the end of the decade.
Aztecgolfer

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:07 am

Silliness. Of course they are talking. OR and WA are talking to B1G and leftovers to Big 12 et al.

Incoming Oregon president John Karl Scholz on if he has a preference for UO’s conference affiliation: “I cannot answer that question right now. I am a hardcore Oregon Duck, but very much want to see what’s in the best interest.”
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Topper » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:37 am

FroggieFever wrote:Silliness. Of course they are talking. OR and WA are talking to B1G and leftovers to Big 12 et al.

Incoming Oregon president John Karl Scholz on if he has a preference for UO’s conference affiliation: “I cannot answer that question right now. I am a hardcore Oregon Duck, but very much want to see what’s in the best interest.”

Big 12 spreads innuendo and misinformation. Quote me one PAC 10 official who admits to talks. Oh, I suppose as usual you have been in the room while they are going on. Of course Oregon and Washington want to go to the Big 10 just like TCU or anybody else in the Big 12 want to go to the SEC if offered. It just isn't happening this cycle.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:42 am

Topper wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:Silliness. Of course they are talking. OR and WA are talking to B1G and leftovers to Big 12 et al.

Quote me one PAC 10 official who admits to talks.

Oh, I suppose as usual you have been in the room while they are going on.

I think Scholz's quote is telling in and of itself. I do not mean to be disrespectful, but one has to be nuts to not think of backup plans with no media deal signed.

And, yes. I am "in the room" and several on here can vouch without doxing me.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Topper » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:32 am

FroggieFever wrote:
Topper wrote:

Quote me one PAC 10 official who admits to talks.

Oh, I suppose as usual you have been in the room while they are going on.

I think Scholz's quote is telling in and of itself. I do not mean to be disrespectful, but one has to be nuts to not think of backup plans with no media deal signed.

And, yes. I am "in the room" and several on here can vouch without doxing me.

You really need to get a life. What other boards do you have time to troll all day? I thought that you were not coming back after the drama that ensued when I hurt your feelings a couple of weeks ago.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:43 am

Topper wrote:You really need to get a life. What other boards do you have time to troll all day? I thought that you were not coming back after the drama that ensued when I hurt your feelings a couple of weeks ago.

I apologized for the childish behavior and apologize again. I returned thx to ppl who value some of what I post both in that thread and via private message.

I attended both institutions for the nth time and pay homage to both. I do not understand why you continue to attack me as a "troll."
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Topper » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:59 am

FroggieFever wrote:
Topper wrote:You really need to get a life. What other boards do you have time to troll all day? I thought that you were not coming back after the drama that ensued when I hurt your feelings a couple of weeks ago.

I apologized for the childish behavior and apologize again. I returned thx to ppl who value some of what I post both in that thread and via private message.

I attended both institutions for the nth time and pay homage to both. I do not understand why you continue to attack me as a "troll."

Because you constantly claim inside knowledge or attendance re high level discussions but you refuse to name names, dates, places or times. You contradict very direct and unequivocal statements by the president of a university as "silliness" but you won't or can't describe your authority. In other words your comments may be entertaining but they convey no meaningful or substantiated information.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:08 pm

Topper wrote:Because you constantly claim inside knowledge or attendance re high level discussions but you refuse to name names, dates, places or times. You contradict very direct and unequivocal statements by the president of a university as "silliness" but you won't or can't describe your authority. In other words your comments may be entertaining but they convey no meaningful or substantiated information.

Ignoring the first sentence abv, let us get back on topic. You asked for a quote. I gave you one. Simplified, it suggests "ehhhhh we will wait and see what is best for us" and in no way suggests unity. Regardless, as it pertains to SMU, we will be just fine and end up in a better place than we are now.

FYI: You are obviously more than welcome to ignore my posts. (Click my name, then click "add foe.")
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:35 pm

FroggieFever wrote:
Topper wrote:Because you constantly claim inside knowledge or attendance re high level discussions but you refuse to name names, dates, places or times. You contradict very direct and unequivocal statements by the president of a university as "silliness" but you won't or can't describe your authority. In other words your comments may be entertaining but they convey no meaningful or substantiated information.

Ignoring the first sentence abv, let us get back on topic. You asked for a quote. I gave you one. Simplified, it suggests "ehhhhh we will wait and see what is best for us" and in no way suggests unity. Regardless, as it pertains to SMU, we will be just fine and end up in a better place than we are now.

FYI: You are obviously more than welcome to ignore my posts. (Click my name, then click "add foe.")

Hey, you finally posted something positive about SMU! (Other than the "Pony Up" tag.)

As one with a name taken from another school--but not SMU's chief rival--I will say that it's somewhat remarkable to me that you are dumbfounded about how your many, many posts sagely foretelling the demise of the PAC 12 as the Big 12 eagerly swallows up most/all of the Four Corners schools somehow don't come off with any of the "hey fellow Mustangs" bonhomie you assume should be the case. This disconnect is magnified, of course, by your screen name, your photo, and, well, the fact that your alleged insider knowledge happens to align perfectly with the propaganda that Big 12 mouthpieces are spewing anywhere and everywhere, and paying consulting firms to amplify.

Anyway, how will SMU be just fine and end up in a better place, in your view?

PS I've seen folks here vouch for you to be a good guy. I haven't seen anyone vouch for you being in the room for TCU and Big 12 meetings with Arizona and ASU.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby jpe747 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:21 pm

I’ve kept silent over this because I think the frogie is trolling. He is a Frog! Hello! I don’t understand why people get a thrill trolling. I certainly wouldn’t want to waist my time trolling frogs. If the PAC-12 crashes we just win games. On the other hand, frogs know if we go to the PAC 12 we might dominate DFW college sports. So let frogie troll. Just know what is going on.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:55 pm

As someone with completely no inside knowledge of how the conference realignment is taking place now or has taken place in the past, to me, it seems that common sense would dictate that every school in the PAC 12 would say they’re united. It would be utter idiocy to not say that. That doesn’t mean they don’t have conversations with other conferences, including the B12. It’s smart to have options. I’m sure this is what had taken place with previous realignments.

Again, I firmly believe that the schools in the PAC 12 are much better group of schools for SMU to be associated with, but the fact remains that the B12 beat the Pac12 getting a contract done sooner. That doesn’t mean that the PAC 12 won’t get a comparable deal, perhaps better or worse deal, but I think it will still be comparable when it’s all said and done. It’s also clear that anyone in the pac 12, ACC or B12 would jump at the chance to join the B10 or SEC. I don’t think any schools on the new B12 would be of interest to the B10 though.

As another note, there are various schools in both the B10 and SEC that are just along for the ride and also don’t add much value. The actual number of schools that drive the media rights deals and get national attention are probably about a dozen or so names IMO.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby laxdawg97 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:03 pm

jpe747 wrote:I’ve kept silent over this because I think the frogie is trolling. He is a Frog! Hello! I don’t understand why people get a thrill trolling. I certainly wouldn’t want to waist my time trolling frogs. If the PAC-12 crashes we just win games. On the other hand, frogs know if we go to the PAC 12 we might dominate DFW college sports. So let frogie troll. Just know what is going on.

The sort of communications firms employed to advance the Big12's information campaign against the Pac12 routinely obtain access to accounts with age / history that they can use to fabricate authority and relevance. Often this is done through multiple subcontractors and consultants so the big name agency at the top maintains plausible deniability.

Is this dude an example of that, or just a run of the mill s**t-starter? Who knows.

The risk of SMU reaching the ceiling it showed in the 80s is a major threat to TCU, and as with their inability to keep Kendall Briles, it appears their pockets may not actually be deep enough to do much about it in the long-run. No surprise that'd lead to some anxious behavior, and a willingness to be duped into supporting a pointless PR campaign.
laxdawg97
Scout Team

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:21 pm

I know someone who is neighbor to a guy who has some reallllly strong inside information. He says Tech, Baylor and Okie State are all begging the Pac12 to let them in so they can escape their failing conference. With Tx and OU leaving they understand the B12 is not viable in the long term and they are looking for a better level of competition :P .
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:23 pm

I will also add that I think that the B12 is playing dirty tactics with their smearing campaign. It's akin to bad politics and bad form by this conference, who is clearly afraid of being left as the worst of the P5 conferences. I suppose it's survival but at least try to play clean. I'm sure that tcu, baylor and tech will continue to try to blackball SMU any chance they get.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Next

Return to Football