PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ASU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: ASU

Postby FroggieFever » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:07 pm

Water Pony wrote:If ADJD is TCU Athletic Director Jeremy Donati, the only Mustang reference in his bio is the Cal Poly University Mustang Club.

Hart and ADJD are close. I think what we get lost here often is how closely the two institutions are related. The Hunt fam. The Bass fam. The list goes on. We are closer than some would probably prefer to accept, but inevitably works out for the both institutions.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby FroggieFever » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:36 pm

[Deleted]
Last edited by FroggieFever on Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:51 pm

max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Statler » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:39 pm

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/.amp/football/pac-12-school-president-endorses-san-diego-state-and-smu-as-possible-expansion-candidates

Money Quote

We really haven’t had enough time for discussions about expansion. My personal opinion is we need to expand, and I think San Diego State and SMU are two good schools with two good teams that we should give strong consideration to, but we can’t do that until we get a deal. Once we get the deal, get everyone to sign their Grant of Rights, then we can start talking about expansion. But I think both of them would be targets of the Big 12, but maybe not SMU, because they already have the (DFW) metroplex.
Statler
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyME » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:10 am

Definitely a positive sign that the sources for the reports over the past few days have been direct quotes from either PAC Presidents or ADs vs speculation from ‘unnamed sources’ or wishful thinking from Big 12 coaches or the Baylor AD. If it was by design, the PAC strategy to ignore the noise during the process and then slowly start to talk to reporters about actual substance leading up to the announcements was smart.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby Topper » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:18 am

PonyME wrote:Definitely a positive sign that the sources for the reports over the past few days have been direct quotes from either PAC Presidents or ADs vs speculation from ‘unnamed sources’ or wishful thinking from Big 12 coaches or the Baylor AD. If it was by design, the PAC strategy to ignore the noise during the process and then slowly start to talk to reporters about actual substance leading up to the announcements was smart.

Yes, and the Baylor AD has a lot of nerve even injecting his thoughts into any such discussion. Given the vile nature of their behavior when confronted with credible allegations of a rape culture at their school they are lucky to find a conference willing to have them. The other day a lady told me that her daughter was considering Baylor. I told her to investigate their past. She called later and thanked me. The girl's Dad said that he wouldn't contribute one penny toward tuition at that nightmare academy.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby FroggieFever » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:31 am

Topper wrote:
PonyME wrote:Definitely a positive sign that the sources for the reports over the past few days have been direct quotes from either PAC Presidents or ADs vs speculation from ‘unnamed sources’ or wishful thinking from Big 12 coaches or the Baylor AD. If it was by design, the PAC strategy to ignore the noise during the process and then slowly start to talk to reporters about actual substance leading up to the announcements was smart.

Yes, and the Baylor AD has a lot of nerve even injecting his thoughts into any such discussion. Given the vile nature of their behavior when confronted with credible allegations of a rape culture at their school they are lucky to find a conference willing to have them. The other day a lady told me that her daughter was considering Baylor. I told her to investigate their past. She called later and thanked me. The girl's Dad said that he wouldn't contribute one penny toward tuition at that nightmare academy.

Baylor folk are just ... odd.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:04 pm

FroggieFever wrote:
Water Pony wrote:If ADJD is TCU Athletic Director Jeremy Donati, the only Mustang reference in his bio is the Cal Poly University Mustang Club.

Hart and ADJD are close. I think what we get lost here often is how closely the two institutions are related. The Hunt fam. The Bass fam. The list goes on. We are closer than some would probably prefer to accept, but inevitably works out for the both institutions.

Everyone wants the world to be black and white when it is actually gray.

The PAC 12 schools certainly have conversations with Big12 schools. That doesn't mean they are interested in or seriously considering moving to the Big 12. They are playing out all of their what if scenarios. The Big12 and associated social media entities have really done themselves a disservice by taking small items, spinning them, and running with the spin publicly. Yes, some of that is just click bait to drive views and revenue, but the fact is that the Big 12 leveraged an agency to try and forment public uncertainty against the PAC 12 and disrupt media negotiations in an effort to drive those negotiations down to the point where PAC 12 schools would consider leaving.

It is an incredible campaign that the companies I have worked with would not stoop to execute against the competition. We certainly see it in the political world, but I am shocked to see that type of behavior exhibited by academic institutions.

Every Big 12 team is a [deleted] piece of [deleted] for allowing it to happen. And they deserve the outcome, which is that every other conference and academic institution is going to look down on them for playing dirty pool. SMU has been [deleted] on by those same schools since 1980, and I for one am excited to see them get their due.

ADJD's job is to make TCU as prominent as possible. One path to that objective he sees is pushing SMU away as a rival and moving to establish a rivalry with a larger school. Alumni have pushed back against him on this agenda. He might have a good relationship with Hart, but it doesn't mean that he is also trying to do what he thinks is best for the school, regardless of how that impacts SMU.

Kenneth Starr turned Baylor away from the moral and financially sound principles it once rested on. He convinced them that they were bigger than they were and needed to spend to be able to attain a higher standing. They had to borrow to build and grow because they don't have state support or a strong alumni base to pull from. In contrast, at SMU we force a high percentage of funding to be raised before we break ground on any project. As a result, Baylor is in mountains of debt, and with interest rate rising they are not in a great position. They depend on the Dallas area for student recruiting, and in order to attract better students and raise the profile of the school, they need SMU to be kept down. They are absolutely our biggest detractors (Tech is second on the list), which TCU and now Houston look the other way and don't try to fight to get us in.

But as I've mentioned time and time again, the best value for SMU and for each of our degrees is to be affiliated with top ranked academic institutions and get as far away from those backstabbing pieces of [deleted] as possible. Go PAC or go ACC, and tell the Big 12 to [deleted] off whenever they come asking.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FroggieFever » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:16 pm

JasonB wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:

Everyone wants the world to be black and white when it is actually gray.

The PAC 12 schools certainly have conversations with Big12 schools. That doesn't mean they are interested in or seriously considering moving to the Big 12. They are playing out all of their what if scenarios. The Big12 and associated social media entities have really done themselves a disservice by taking small items, spinning them, and running with the spin publicly. Yes, some of that is just click bait to drive views and revenue, but the fact is that the Big 12 leveraged an agency to try and forment public uncertainty against the PAC 12 and disrupt media negotiations in an effort to drive those negotiations down to the point where PAC 12 schools would consider leaving.

It is an incredible campaign that the companies I have worked with would not stoop to execute against the competition. We certainly see it in the political world, but I am shocked to see that type of behavior exhibited by academic institutions.

Every Big 12 team is a [deleted] piece of [deleted] for allowing it to happen. And they deserve the outcome, which is that every other conference and academic institution is going to look down on them for playing dirty pool. SMU has been [deleted] on by those same schools since 1980, and I for one am excited to see them get their due.

ADJD's job is to make TCU as prominent as possible. One path to that objective he sees is pushing SMU away as a rival and moving to establish a rivalry with a larger school. Alumni have pushed back against him on this agenda. He might have a good relationship with Hart, but it doesn't mean that he is also trying to do what he thinks is best for the school, regardless of how that impacts SMU.

Kenneth Starr turned Baylor away from the moral and financially sound principles it once rested on. He convinced them that they were bigger than they were and needed to spend to be able to attain a higher standing. They had to borrow to build and grow because they don't have state support or a strong alumni base to pull from. In contrast, at SMU we force a high percentage of funding to be raised before we break ground on any project. As a result, Baylor is in mountains of debt, and with interest rate rising they are not in a great position. They depend on the Dallas area for student recruiting, and in order to attract better students and raise the profile of the school, they need SMU to be kept down. They are absolutely our biggest detractors (Tech is second on the list), which TCU and now Houston look the other way and don't try to fight to get us in.

But as I've mentioned time and time again, the best value for SMU and for each of our degrees is to be affiliated with top ranked academic institutions and get as far away from those backstabbing pieces of [deleted] as possible. Go PAC or go ACC, and tell the Big 12 to [deleted] off whenever they come asking.

I mean, outside of the hostility, I do not think I disagree with the meaningful portion of this.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:26 pm

FroggieFever wrote:I do not think I disagree with the meaningful portion of this.

Hey, out of curiosity, what is your handle on the TCU forum, where you post all of your positive SMU stuff? Thx
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:48 pm

Talk about talking out of two sides of your mouth, here is the Baylor AD saying it isn't trying to damage the PAC-12:

... saying he does not “think anybody’s rooting for the demise of the Pac-12,” and “certainly, our commissioner’s not,” according to Sean Keeler of the DENVER POST. Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark has been open about exploring expansion, but Rhoades said he thinks everyone is “rooting that they end up with a media deal that’s really good for the 10 of them.” However, he added if it “comes to a point in time where that media deal is not in their best interest, then why wouldn’t we be interested in a school, in an institution, like CU?”

:shock:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... nsion.aspx
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FroggieFever » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:03 pm

Water Pony wrote:Talk about talking out of two sides of your mouth, here is the Baylor AD saying it isn't trying to damage the PAC-12:

... saying he does not “think anybody’s rooting for the demise of the Pac-12,” and “certainly, our commissioner’s not,” according to Sean Keeler of the DENVER POST. Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark has been open about exploring expansion, but Rhoades said he thinks everyone is “rooting that they end up with a media deal that’s really good for the 10 of them.” However, he added if it “comes to a point in time where that media deal is not in their best interest, then why wouldn’t we be interested in a school, in an institution, like CU?”

:shock:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... nsion.aspx

Oh, come on. Who here is talking out of two sides of their mouth? Me or Yormark/Rhoades/Keeler?

Edit: I realize that the comment might not be an attack on me but rather Baylor/Big 12 etc. (to which I agree).
Last edited by FroggieFever on Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby FroggieFever » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:05 pm

Dukie wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:I do not think I disagree with the meaningful portion of this.

Hey, out of curiosity, what is your handle on the TCU forum, where you post all of your positive SMU stuff? Thx

Ehhhh, While in my 30s, I have been an Administrator for over 20yrs, aftr the majority of KF.c Founder's have moved on (Wes and Scott). Divulging more would dox me.

@PonyPride or @Webmaster - can you pls vouch for me so we can stick to business and not "who is FroggieFever" (dumb name, I know)?
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:14 pm

FroggieFever wrote:
Dukie wrote:

Ehhhh, While in my 30s, I have been an Administrator for over 20yrs, aftr the majority of KF.c Founder's have moved on (Wes and Scott). Divulging more would dox me.

@PonyPride or @Webmaster - can you pls vouch for me so we can stick to business and not "who is FroggieFever" (dumb name, I know)?

You’re the one who brought up all of your awesome pro-SMU commentary over there. A screen name is not doxxing.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:17 pm

FroggieFever wrote: Oh, come on. Who here is talking out of two sides of their mouth? Me or Yormark/Rhoades/Keeler?

Edit: I realize that the comment might not be an attack on me but rather Baylor/Big 12 etc. (to which I agree).

Water Pony is clearly talking about Rhoades, not you. That’s what the sentence construction of “Speaking of …, here is ….” means.
Dukie
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football