PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Decisions, decisions

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Decisions, decisions

Postby Jim Rome » Wed Sep 05, 2001 2:46 pm

DMN reported on-line today that Cavan plans to use Jay Taylor and Trey Griffin more this week. Props to you, Coach. When you've got a receiver who's 6-4 or 6-5 (Taylor) who can run, USE him. Note to you, Coach: Very few teams have any 6-5 defensive backs. Taylor was heavily recruited because he can create major match-up problems.

And more props, this time to the o-line. For all the crap you boys have taken, I get the impression you did a great job Saturday. Kincade and Briggs were pretty solid until we had to abandon the run. And for Luker to pass 54 times and only get sacked once, with all the pressure and looks defenses throw at you these days - that's a great job by Slaten, McCarthy and the boys up front. Keep it up.
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Re: Decisions, decisions

Postby PK » Wed Sep 05, 2001 3:02 pm

Maybe your right Jim, but the whole deal for this being a good season for us was because we have so many SENIORS on the team this year. So why are we playing freshman? Jay is listed on the roster as 6'-3" same as Billy Ford who at 213 is 30 pounds heavier than Jay (I know Jay is probably much faster than Billy...but can he hold on to the ball when belted by a defensive back?). Trey Griffin is only 5'-10" same as Cody Cardwell. So once again, why play freshman who are seeing the offensive system for the first time this year? Wouldn't it be better to redshirt these guys?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponytalk » Thu Sep 06, 2001 1:19 am

I think I am taking PK's side on this. Romey, I want to hear your rebuttle.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 06, 2001 8:23 am

I'll give you MY rebuttal. You play the guy that can make the plays! From what I've read, we had far too many dropped passes and that's been a problem for some of our guys who are "converted" receivers. Taylor is at his "natural" position and if he has the hands to make the tough catches, then I say he plays and plays NOW!!!
Charleston Pony

Postby Jim Rome » Thu Sep 06, 2001 1:08 pm

I agree - the experienced seniors are supposed to be the key. But Charleston has the right idea -- play the guys who can make plays. I heard that while Jay Taylor is listed at 6'3", when he checked in for his preseason physical, he measured at just a shade under 6'4-1/2". He clocked an electronic 4.4 and has hands as big as satellite dishes. Rick Alonzo of the Morning News reported that he regularly makes spectacular catches in practice. Until he shows he can't make plays, let's get him out there and see WHY he was recruited so highly. Throw him jump balls (high passes) on short-yardage and goal-line situations. I hear he runs by people in practice, and supposedly he's frustrated KG with his strength in practice, meaning he may look scrawny, but he can fend people off to go get the ball.

Don't know enough about Trey Griffin. My only fear is that there's a huge difference between track speed and football speed. Can this guy run in pads? Can he catch? That I don't know. For the time being, I'd make him a special teams guy, until he proves his hands.

I've only seen the pictures you're run on PonyFans.com, but I'll be in Dallas this weekend for the game. Looking forward to seeing Jay Taylor and Trey Griffin and the rest of the Ponies play.
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Thu Sep 06, 2001 1:36 pm

OK, I admit that because I was not able to listen to the whole game last week I missed hearing what Jay and Trey contributed to the game. I have no doubt that Jay and Trey are both going to be great assets to the team in the long run and maybe now is a good time for them to be playing...I just remember in one of the scrimmages that Jay was wide open in the end zone and the ball hit him in those satellite dishes of hands...and he dropped it. Now that can happen to anyone, but we need that to not happen at all. Let's see what happens in the next game and then discuss this issue some more.

The rest of my first post was kind of a dig on the excuses in the past three years for losing seasons..."we have a young team". Now we have so many seniors and juniors and we are still playing freshman. Are we going to be a "young team" yet another year?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PK » Tue Sep 18, 2001 9:30 pm

Well the TCU game has come and gone ... the tragic events in NY have shocked us ... and I'm not sure this is the time yet to bring it up, but I can not tell whether Jay and Trey are a help or not at this point or if it matters.

Any thoughts from you who know football better than me (which is probably most you).

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 09-18-2001).]
PK

Postby mom2 » Wed Sep 19, 2001 2:17 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PK:
<B>OK, I admit that because I was not able to listen to the whole game last week I missed hearing what Jay and Trey contributed to the game. I have no doubt that Jay and Trey are both going to be great assets to the team in the long run and maybe now is a good time for them to be playing...I just remember in one of the scrimmages that Jay was wide open in the end zone and the ball hit him in those satellite dishes of hands...and he dropped it. Now that can happen to anyone, but we need that to not happen at all. Let's see what happens in the next game and then discuss this issue some more.

The rest of my first post was kind of a dig on the excuses in the past three years for losing seasons..."we have a young team". Now we have so many seniors and juniors and we are still playing freshman. Are we going to be a "young team" yet another year?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
PK, what were you seeing at that scrimmage? Jay Taylor is 6'4 and he was not the one who dropped the touchdown. That was Trey who was wide open and dropped the ball. How could you get those two mixed up?!
mom2

Postby PonyGirl » Wed Sep 19, 2001 11:25 am

Actually, in the second (I think) scrimmage, Jay did drop a would-be touchdown that hit him on the numbers. I think Trey also dropped a pass or two. That doesn't mean we're losing faith in these guys - ALL receivers drop a pass every now and then. Hopefully they got it out of their system in the scrimmages. We expect great things from these guys, because they clearly have a world of talent. We're officially fans of Taylor and Griffin .... and all the Ponies.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby PK » Wed Sep 19, 2001 4:43 pm

Dear Mom2, I may have indeed misidentified your son (Jay) as having been the one to drop the pass ... it was several weeks after the scrimmage that I made my post and ones memory is not as good as we age. If that is the case, I apologize.

My main point is that we have used the excuse year after year for our sorry win - loss record that we are a young team. We have enough seasoned juniors and seniors now that we should be able to redshirt our potential future stars such as Jay and Trey and allow them to mature, gain strength and gain size such that when they do start they have a better chance to reach their full potential. I have no doubt that Jay is going to be a star for SMU in the future, I'm just not sure it is fair to him or good judgement to have him in the games now while still learning the offensive system and acclimating to college football.

Regardless, I wish you and Jay all the best. If they continue to use Jay as a freshman, I will cheer for him all the same and hope he has a good year.
PK

Postby mom2 » Wed Sep 19, 2001 11:40 pm

Hey PK, No problem. Thanks for the support.Its much appreciated. Just to respond to your point about the "seasoned" team; The fact is, we do have seasoned jrs and srs who are getting about 98% of the playing time, some obviously are getting their job done and others are struggling at this point. The freshmen are not starting so that means that by now, after 3 or 4 or 5 seasons we should be "ripe" as the veterans know the offense and are already acclimated to college football....yet the results are annually getting progressively worse instead of better. I don't know anything but what I see and I see a seasoned team loosing...badly. Its no secret that the team is Not lacking in talent with this year's recruiting class (as they landed at least 7 top 100 prospects who were ranked either state or nationally or both by Lone Star Recruiting and Rivals.com.) or with some veteran players. The other fact of the matter is...what we're doing now obviously isn't working for whatever reason. I hesitate to say that because I know these guys are doing their best, especially after having changed to other positions and I don't want to take anything from that. They all want to play and help their team win. By the same token I'm not saying that playing these other guys more will spark a fire and we'll blaze to a winning season, but I do say try it for more than 4 or 5 plays. We've got to do something before we're doused completely and left to smoulder in our own ashes. It can't be any worse and at least we would have tried.
I'm through commenting now for good as I am not an avid internet guru. I'm just going to pray that they remain safe and grow in character. I don't believe anything short of Divine intervention will help, but hey...I believe in miracles and I believe in our freshmen, and....I believe in our team.
GO MUSTANGS!
mom2

Postby stangaholic » Thu Sep 20, 2001 11:42 am

I totally agree that who ever makes the most plays should be on the field regardless of class rank. If player isn't getting it done on the field...find someone who will.

However, it seems to be more than just finding the right guy in some cases. The coaching staff always seems to go to new, younger players. Ramon Flanigan -to- Chris Sanders -to- Josh McCown -to- David Page -to- Kelan Luker -to- ? and their are several other examples of how this process goes on. Now I agree that in some of these aforementioned examples a change was warranted. However, it does seem that the coaches (Cavan) don't choose the right players to build around and constantly look for new players to instill "hope" in the immediate success of the team. I think that this "lack of confidence" will eat the team apart.
stangaholic

Postby ponystudent » Thu Sep 20, 2001 11:48 am

How about Rodnick to Briggs and Briggs to Kincade.

Or Rushbrook who was made to be our savior last year not even suiting up, if he has I have missed him.
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby Grider » Fri Sep 21, 2001 4:55 pm

Hey Mom2, good to see another Lufkinite on the board! I wish Jay all the best.

Beat NC State!!!
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby Ladypony » Sat Sep 29, 2001 11:23 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ponystudent:
<B>How about Rodnick to Briggs and Briggs to Kincade.

Or Rushbrook who was made to be our savior last year not even suiting up, if he has I have missed him.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rushbrook is "redshirting" this season because they didnt want to waste his year when we have O'Neill and Dorsey as seniors.
Ladypony

Next

Return to Football