PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is Pac 12 slipping away?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is Pac 12 slipping away?

Postby SMUstang » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:50 am

I didn’t differentiate between pre-death penalty and post-death penalty. I simply looked at the all time W/L record in Winsipedia. From that perspective, for the teams listed, our record is pretty dismal. It is no wonder that we are where we are, and I wonder if changing conferences will help. Certainly not attendance wise if we depend on our opponents to send us lots of fans, unless by some miracle we are chosen by the Big XII. And I suspect we missed that boat.
Last edited by SMUstang on Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby redpony » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:54 am

orguy wrote:
BTW; SMU bb was doomed after the Larry Brown fiasco. SMU found a way to destroy
a good thing. Par for the course. If the Pac invite happens then better days ahead for HOOP.

doubt is hoops is any better. first, we need a quality coach who can win. right now we would be at the bottom of the P12 and a total embarrassment. if we don't get an invite bball will likely be a good reason why.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:07 pm

Lol - no. Not slipping away. Put down the gun.
ponyboy

Postby 3rdGenPony » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:47 pm

My biggest concern IF we get an invite to the PAC is that it takes to long and we are stuck in the American for 2024/25 as well as next year.
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:33 pm

Let's just go undefeated this year in football, beating the Frogs and the Sooners in the process and we'll be on everyone's list.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:00 pm

ALEX LIFESON

Postby mtrout » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:47 pm

Gonna be a hot summa
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:47 pm

whats that old song ' the twelfth of never'
redpony

Postby Water Pony » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:35 pm

redpony wrote:whats that old song ' the twelfth of never'

"The Twelfth of Never" is a popular song written in 1956 and first recorded by Johnny Mathis the following year. The title is a popular expression, which is used as the date of a future occurrence that will never come to pass. In the case of the song, "the 12th of Never" is given as the date on which the singer will stop loving his beloved, thus indicating that he will always love her.

The flip side of the single record was “Chances Are”, one of Johnny Mathias biggest hits.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMUstang » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:58 am

No one can predict the future but I think that the AAC could be stronger in 10 years than the current AAC. By then it could have 1 or 2 more Texas teams, and Tulane, Tulsa, Memphis and Wichita. All within fairly easy driving distance. If you are interested in seeing the Ponies play on the road in person.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Rla1022 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:41 am

SMUstang wrote:No one can predict the future but I think that the AAC could be stronger in 10 years than the current AAC. By then it could have 1 or 2 more Texas teams, and Tulane, Tulsa, Memphis and Wichita. All within fairly easy driving distance. If you are interested in seeing the Ponies play on the road in person.

My ai response to your ai.

You are correct in stating that predicting the future can be challenging, and it is difficult to determine with certainty how the American Athletic Conference (AAC) will look like in ten years. However, your reasoning regarding the possibility of adding more Texas teams, Tulane, Tulsa, Memphis, and Wichita to the conference, all within easy driving distance, could potentially strengthen the AAC.

Adding more teams to a conference could potentially improve the competitiveness of the league, attract more fans, and generate additional revenue. Moreover, if the teams are located within reasonable driving distance, it could make it easier for fans to attend games, which could result in higher attendance figures and more energetic game atmospheres.

However, it is essential to note that there are several factors to consider, such as the financial and logistical implications of adding more teams, the performance of existing teams, and the shifting landscape of college athletics. Nonetheless, your prediction is a plausible one, and it will be interesting to see how the AAC develops over the next ten years.
Rla1022
Scout Team

Postby SMUstang » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:33 am

My thinking: just as the SWC was the conference for the 20th century, the AAC could be the conference for the 21st century. We may again see the rise of regional conferences and rivalries.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:10 pm

SMUstang wrote:My thinking: just as the SWC was the conference for the 20th century, the AAC could be the conference for the 21st century. We may again see the rise of regional conferences and rivalries.

No to UNT and UAB and Charlotte. And, sorry, Rice.
Dukie
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football