PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Retro Uni

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Retro Uni

Postby Topper » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:14 pm

While we are waiting to see how the PAC situation resolves itself let's talk uniforms. I'm definitely in the minority on this point, but I always liked those Dave Smith / Ohio State inspired threads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lpYdrCLbeU
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Retro Uni

Postby MustangFan » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:44 pm

I'll respectfully disagree. Those things look like a 3A high school trying to look like Ohio State.

Got to have blue, and lots of it, especially with all of the Dallas/TripleD logo stuff around the program.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby BUS » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:02 pm

Not a fan.
Red blue with white added.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:27 pm

Not a fan.
Red blue with white added.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby peruna81 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:51 pm

How about Harvard Crimson and tan pants, circa 1948 Doak and Gil days. Do it on Homecoming.

No Dave Smith uniforms, please. One of the darker periods in SMU football, IMO. Firing Fry, hiring a guy who chose to change our fundamental colors. Sorta like the Armed Forces Bowl uniforms, or the hideous Phil Bennett stuff.

For the sake of everything holy at SMU, go back to all white away, Blue or Red tops and white pants at home. And keep the white helmets with the red pony.

And yes,I know I'm old...and yell at cheese when I go to the grocery store...

revive the uniform thread!
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:51 pm

The beautiful uniforms of the Dicker-James era, Pony Express days!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby EastStang » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:57 am

Yes, the Ron Meyer era uniforms were classic. The Hayden Fry era ones, I didn't like the red helmets with the White pony because they were hard to differentiate from the Arkansas helmets back then. So, if there was like a senior bowl, you had to look hard to see who was SMU and who was Arkansas.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby max the wonder dog » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:22 pm

EastStang wrote:Yes, the Ron Meyer era uniforms were classic. The Hayden Fry era ones, I didn't like the red helmets with the White pony because they were hard to differentiate from the Arkansas helmets back then. So, if there was like a senior bowl, you had to look hard to see who was SMU and who was Arkansas.

At least the Fry era had the Pony on the helmet. No Pony on the Dave Smith version.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:20 pm

EastStang wrote:Yes, the Ron Meyer era uniforms were classic. The Hayden Fry era ones, I didn't like the red helmets with the White pony because they were hard to differentiate from the Arkansas helmets back then. So, if there was like a senior bowl, you had to look hard to see who was SMU and who was Arkansas.

Eery..I had the same trouble differentiating between Hogs and Mustangs during that time too...DMN would sometimes run a series of "SWC highlights" photos on Sunday, and I remember squinting a lot.
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GHammond » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:36 am

Speaking of Arkansas....living here in the Southeast, it gives me great pleasure when I see someone wearing an obvious Alabama hat to say, "Hey man, Pig Soooie!" 'Bama fans bristle..."It's an Alabama hat..!!!" "Oh, I'm sorry....thought it was the Arkansas A.."
GHammond
Varsity

Postby peruna81 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:45 am

GHammond wrote:Speaking of Arkansas....living here in the Southeast, it gives me great pleasure when I see someone wearing an obvious Alabama hat to say, "Hey man, Pig Soooie!" 'Bama fans bristle..."It's an Alabama hat..!!!" "Oh, I'm sorry....thought it was the Arkansas A.."

Arkansas has not "branded" itself with a distinctive like Alabama's script "A"...of course, being seen regularly on national broadcasts and success makes for better branding. Apart from a weird yell, and a former president who was a fan of "40 minutes of hell", they have been largely irrelevant in football since Broyles.
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GHammond » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:37 am

ARKANSAS = about the only team SMU could consistently BEAT post Death Penalty...Pony victories in 92, 95, 96, 97....FIRST question to Houston McNutt at his new FB coach hire press conference in 98 - "Coach, can you beat SMU?!?" I would LOVE of have the Hogs back in the rotation.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:25 pm

I couldn’t handle their fans.
ponyboy

Postby peruna81 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:53 pm

ponyboy wrote:I couldn’t handle their fans.

Tech fans (aka "Sand Aggies") are the worst...with the exception of them pelting us with oranges that one time, they are largely hillbilly harmless.
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby crazy horse » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:41 pm

That 97 game in Shreveport is a very special memory for me. My ex announced she was leaving, and so I traveled home to share the situation with my Father, although I just pretended to want to watch football and spend the weekend with him. He was 80 years old, and this would be the last game he would attend. He did live into his 90s, but crowds and climbing stairs made future games problematic.

Aside from the mess at the ticket office, it was a wonderful game. SMU dominated and my father had a great time. It was on the drive home I shared all that was happening in my life. He was the oldest of 13, born on a farm in the depression. Fought 4 years in WW2, with 4 of his brothers following him in as they came of age. He was very kind man, but not very emotional - if you know that generation, especially veterans, you understand what I am saying.

He went to Texas with Tom Landry, but stopped watching the Cowboys when they fired Landry. I always found that interesting. He really loved football, tore up more than one recliner avoiding tackles with the players on screen. Something we all enjoy remembering.

The 97 game was so much fun. I enjoyed the stunned look on the Pig fans, who could not believe they had lost yet again to SMU.

Back on topic - The classic Pony Express uniforms are just about perfect. A new uniform once or twice a year is not the end of the world. But please let's not become Oregon. IMHO - we HAVE the nicest looking uniform in college football, and sharpest, most recognizable helmet on the planet. Stick to what works!
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Next

Return to Football