PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Retro Uni

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Retro Uni

Postby Water Pony » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:01 am

Thanks, Crazy Horse, for sharing the story of your father, the trip, the game, and thoughts on that generation. It resonated with me.

Pony Up!
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:45 am

Yes, that brought back a fond memory of being at that game with Shreveport family. The win was quite a nice surprise to me. Was that Ramon 6th or 7th year at SMU?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:46 pm

Yes, great story.

Wasn’t it the next year at the Cotton Bowl that Ramon got knocked out of the game with the hip injury? When that happened, a very drunk Hog a few rows behind me began to heckle me personally. I was so sick of the Arkansas fans, and disappointed about Ramon, so I snapped and turned around and climbed several rows of seats straight up to him to have a “conversation.” It wasn’t my most mature moment, ha.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:13 pm

I was there in Shreveport in 97, while visiting family in Longview that weekend. Remember the hour
long + wait in the ticket line fiasco. Missed the first quarter I think. Doepey strikes again. Remember another great win against Arkansas though! Wish my dad SMU 50 could have come with me, but he needed to stay with mom, and may have not been physically able to himself.

Have to go with Hayden Fry's red helmet, blue jersey, grey pants with blue red blue stripes as my favorite uni, but the pony express uni finishes second. Watch the 1972 SMU Mustang Band, and around the 9:15 mark starts video with the unis. Blue jersey sets us apart from the Hog unis any day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5kgsBNUBsg
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football