PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU equestrian wins national championship!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU equestrian wins national championship!

Postby PonyPride » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:29 pm

From smumustangs.com:

No. 1 SMU Beats Auburn to Win 2023 Equestrian National Championship

Mustangs finish season with 13-1 record

OCALA, Fla. (SMU) - SMU's equestrian team made history on Saturday, as the top-ranked Mustangs knocked off No. 2 Auburn, 11-8, to win the National Collegiate Equestrian Association (NCEA) National Championship at the World Equestrian Center.

The Mustangs captured the school's ninth national championship, and first in equestrian. It also marks the first time a school outside of the Big 12 and SEC has won the equestrian National Championship.

"There really aren't words to describe this feeling, but I'm just so grateful to so many people who were a part of today's win," SMU head coach Carol Gwin said. "First, I can't say enough about this year's team and how much fun they've been to coach. This group has been the ultimate dream team and I'm thrilled to see them be rewarded for all of the hard work they've put in this year. They were determined to make it to Championship Saturday and to get out of here with a win and that's exactly what they did. I'm so proud of this team and it's a great feeling to see their hard pay off. Now they'll be National Champions for the rest of their lives. When we were recruiting this group, I told them all they could go to another school and copy somebody else's history, or they come here to SMU and create their own history. I'm just so happy for all of them."

The Mustangs finished the best season in program history with a 13-1 record, breaking the program record for wins in a season of 11 that was set last season. SMU also had nine All-America selections this year along with four national riders of the month.

"I've had eight other teams since I came to SMU in 2014 and each and every one of those riders helped us on the path towards this championship today, so I'm thinking about all of them today. So many amazing young women have been a part of this program since I came here and they all laid the foundation that helped this team have such a historic season. And I know they won't take any credit for this - but our President Dr. Turner, our Athletics Director Rick Hart, and our Deputy Athletics Director Kris Harris have been 100% committed to and invested in our program since I was hired in 2014. We wouldn't be here today without the resources they've provided to us and I'm so grateful to work at a university that has invested in our program and in these young ladies so much. I also want to extend a big thanks to our entire support staff back at SMU and in the athletics department. So many people put in hard work behind the scenes to support our student-athletes, our coaches, and our horses, and I'm grateful to get to work with such wonderful people."

The Mustangs jumped out to a commanding 4-1 lead on Saturday after winning 4-of-5 reining points. While Dani Latimer's opponent's score was under review, Taylor Zimmerman won SMU's first point of the meet with her 224.5-218 victory over Auburn's Olivia Marino. Following Zimmerman's win, Latimer gave the Mustangs a 2-0 lead as she defeated Kate Buchanan, 220-0. Auburn won the next point, but back-to-back wins by Maria Richards and Chalyce Head gave the Mustangs a three-point lead. Richards notched a 3.5 point victory over Auburn's Isabella Tesmer, while Head edged out Alexia Tordoff, 223.5-223.

"For the second day in a row, it was huge for us to jump out with that kind of lead and set the tone early," said Gwin. "So I was extremely proud of our reiners for delivering in such a big way and I'm just thrilled for that whole group because of how well they rode all year."

SMU extended its lead in horsemanship, as the Mustangs won 3-of-5 points.

Nya Kearns won the first horsemanship point, as she cruised to a 234-211 win over Auburn's Maddie Spak. After Auburn won the next point, Megan Waldron earned a three-point win over Madison Parduhn, 232-229. Auburn followed by winning its second horsemanship point, but SMU's Mallory Vroegh posted an event-high score of 238 to knock off Alexia Tordoff, 238-235.5, giving the Mustangs a 7-3 lead at the halfway point.

"We knew horsemanship was going to be an absolute battle today and I have to tip my hat to our horsemanship riders because they really delivered for us," Gwin said. "When we lost horsemanship against TCU on Friday, I just knew they'd bounce back today because that's one of the most resilient group of riders we've ever had. They rode so well today and I can't say enough about our western coach Brad Kearns and the job he's done with our western riders all season."

In the flat arena, SMU and Auburn each claimed a pair of points, giving the Mustangs a 9-5 lead through three events.

SMU won the first two flat points after back-to-back wins by Madigan Eppink and Miranda Seade. Eppink opened the flat with a 232-198 win over Sophee Steckbeck, and Seade followed with a 248-234 victory over Auburn's Emma Kurtz. After Hensley Humphries held her Auburn opponent to a 151-151 tie, the Tigers won the final two flat points, cutting SMU's lead to four points.

"I thought our flat team rode really well today and it was great to get out of there holding on to our four-point lead," Gwin said. "We knew this meet was going to come down to the final event so every point was critical there."

Up 9-5 and needing just one point to end Auburn's comeback hopes, Taylor Madden beat Ellie Ferrigno, 273-267. Augusta Iwasaki gave SMU an 11-6 lead when she beat Auburn's Emma Kurtz, 278-258. With the meat already clinched, the Tigers went on to win the final points, winning their only event of the meet, 3-2.

"I thought our jumping seat team rode great today in a very tense environment," Gwin said. "Coach Laura Persons had that group ready to go this weekend and they looked great today against a very tough opponent. Very happy with the way we closed this meet out and we're thrilled to be going back to the Hilltop as National Champions!"

NCEA National Championship - Most Outstanding Players
Flat - Miranda Seade
Fences - Augusta Iwasaki
Horsemanship - Mallory Vroegh
Reining - Dani Latimer

NCEA All-Championship Team
Flat - Miranda Seade, Madigan Eppink
Fences - Augusta Iwasaki, Taylor Madden
Horsemanship - Mallory Vroegh, Nya Kearns
Reining - Dani Latimer, Taylor Zimmerman

NCEA Elite Equestrian
Hensley Humphries
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU equestrian wins national championship!

Postby AusTxPony » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:31 pm

Congratulations Ladies!
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:52 pm

That is fantastic news!!! Great work from the team.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby dalpony » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:53 am

Congratulations on hard won National Championship!
dalpony
Varsity

Postby BUS » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:58 am

Cowgirl up!✌️
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby SMUguy » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:39 pm

This isn't Okie State

CONGRATULATIONS, MUSTANGS!

Question: what was SMU's last team national championship? I can't believe I'm going blank on this.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:53 pm

SMUguy wrote:This isn't Okie State

CONGRATULATIONS, MUSTANGS!

Question: what was SMU's last team national championship? I can't believe I'm going blank on this.

1986 Mens track and field
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:35 pm

Congratulations, Ladies, on your National Championship. I agree with your Coach that the previous eight teams, who competed for SMU since the inception of this sport on the Hilltop, all deserve special recognition. In only nine years as a SMU sport, you have have the pinnacle with a National Championship. Every previous team set the stage for this Championship. 8)

Well done! :D
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:16 am

It is truly amazing how far this program has come in the past few years.

So exciting!!!

Congratulations!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:55 am

Hurry. So appropriate for the Mustangs to win the Equestrian championship.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby bubba pony » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:12 pm

SMUguy wrote:Question: what was SMU's last team national championship? I can't believe I'm going blank on this.

SMU Cheer Squad won national title in 2016

https://www.smu.edu/News/2016/cheerlead ... 9april2016
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:37 pm

You're right. I meant SMU varsity sports. Oh ... for the glory years of men's track.

Will SMU semerchandise? Equestrian national championship merch?
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby used to be 2 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:00 am

Congratulations, hope the athletic director and Turner give you proper recognition.
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:45 pm

used to be 2 wrote:Congratulations, hope the athletic director and Turner give you proper recognition.

Thought about that the other day. Usually a conference championship means a team gets brought out at a football game or basketball for an ovation from the crowd.

Hopefully that happens Sept. 2 when the football team opens the 2023 season against Louisiana Tech. These Mustangs deserve the recognition.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Bergermeister » Thu May 18, 2023 9:52 am

Now we've got something to hang our hat on! PAC12 take notice!!!
Bergermeister

Return to Football