PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

June 30 is fast approaching

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: June 30 is fast approaching

Postby SMUstang » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:55 am

I seriously doubt if the next Big XII addition is another G5 team. They desperately need more state flagships. Think Colorado, Utah, and Arizona for example. Although SDSU basketball could also be attractive to their basketball centric focus since they played in the national championship game last year. And they could be a travel partner with Gonzaga.

Assuming the PAC cannot come up with a competitive media package, just looking at probabilities at the moment, I would say that Utah would probably stay in the PAC, and also staying in the PAC would be Washington, WSU, Oregon, OSU, Cal and Stanford, The PAC may then try to add the markets of SDSU and SMU and stay at 9 at the lower media package with unequal revenue distribution. Would that be a good deal for SMU? It depends on the size of the media package and the revenue distribution.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Topper » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:28 pm

SMUstang wrote:I seriously doubt if the next Big XII addition is another G5 team. They desperately need more state flagships. Think Colorado, Utah, and Arizona for example. Although SDSU basketball could also be attractive to their basketball centric focus since they played in the national championship game last year. And they could be a travel partner with Gonzaga.

Assuming the PAC cannot come up with a competitive media package, just looking at probabilities at the moment, I would say that Utah would probably stay in the PAC, and also staying in the PAC would be Washington, WSU, Oregon, OSU, Cal and Stanford, The PAC may then try to add the markets of SDSU and SMU and stay at 9 at the lower media package with unequal revenue distribution. Would that be a good deal for SMU? It depends on the size of the media package and the revenue distribution.

Lubbock is closer to San Diego than Spokane. I would hardly classify SDSU and the Zags as travel partners.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:51 pm

I never understood the whole 'travel partners' thing. What are teams supposed to do, car pool to competitions?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby max the wonder dog » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:05 pm

mtrout wrote:I never understood the whole 'travel partners' thing. What are teams supposed to do, car pool to competitions?

I think it's for the benefit of the traveling team, not the destination team, and more important for teams other than football. For example, a volleyball team visiting SMU could add a game with UNT and not have to spring for additional airfare. Key word think. I could be wrong.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:33 pm

redpony wrote:the fat lady is warming up. she is ready for an additional 16mil.. if this deal even happens. It would not surprise me if B12 offered sdsu a place at the table at the last moment. hence destroying any possible P12 deal.

then you’re not following this very closely Red

SDSU’s Prez has undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate degrees from Cal-Berkeley. Her ultimate goals for SDSU are academic, not athletic.

You are entirely missing the boat if you think SDSU wants to be associated with truck stop schools in the great plains over Cal & Stanford and other west coast schools
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:39 pm

SMUstang wrote:I seriously doubt if the next Big XII addition is another G5 team. They desperately need more state flagships. Think Colorado, Utah, and Arizona for example.

If you know anything about expansion, or for that matter, life….desperately needing vs actually getting are 2 separate animals all together
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:49 pm

SMUstang wrote:It is doubtful that we would even be considered for the PAC if we had not emphasized academics since the dp.

Now you’re just trolling

SMU was better academically and, relatively speaking, had a larger endowment pre-DP than today

What makes this even more frustrating is that no major area outside of Silicon Valley grew more rapidly than Dallas…..

but keep trolling if you must
SoCal_Pony

Postby SMUstang » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:04 am

Joan Gosnell
Jun 26 2023, 09:47am via System

Dear Tom Francis,

What a fascinating question with no real answer. Unlike the World Series, there is no acknowledged winner (or even definition) of academic standing in academia. Academia has all sorts of statistics https://www.smu.edu/Provost/University- ... ics#trends that try to get to the heart of academic standing. Most of the figures that we have go back to the early 2000s, and the common data sets go back to 1999. Yes, there are records in the SMU archives that have similar sets of statistics for the 1990s and late 1980s.

I'm not really sure how to answer your question. I think you are really asking if the football death penalty had an effect on the academic life of the University. The short answer is that SMU is stronger academically than it was in the 1980s. https://www.smu.edu/AboutSMU/Facts/CampusProfile

Joan Gosnell, University Archivist
Last edited by SMUstang on Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:12 am

PAC 12 Insider says expansion to be announced before conference July 21 media day.

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/pac-12-insider-believes-expansion-could-be-announced-before-pac-12-media-day
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:04 am

max the wonder dog wrote:PAC 12 Insider says expansion to be announced before conference July 21 media day.

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/pac-12-insider-believes-expansion-could-be-announced-before-pac-12-media-day

Did they provide a year?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:48 am

mtrout wrote:
max the wonder dog wrote:PAC 12 Insider says expansion to be announced before conference July 21 media day.

Did they provide a year?

They wouldn't go that far out on the limb :lol:
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:06 pm

SMUstang wrote:Joan Gosnell
Jun 26 2023, 09:47am via System

Dear Tom Francis,

What a fascinating question with no real answer. Unlike the World Series, there is no acknowledged winner (or even definition) of academic standing in academia. Academia has all sorts of statistics https://www.smu.edu/Provost/University- ... ics#trends that try to get to the heart of academic standing. Most of the figures that we have go back to the early 2000s, and the common data sets go back to 1999. Yes, there are records in the SMU archives that have similar sets of statistics for the 1990s and late 1980s.

I'm not really sure how to answer your question. I think you are really asking if the football death penalty had an effect on the academic life of the University. The short answer is that SMU is stronger academically than it was in the 1980s. https://www.smu.edu/AboutSMU/Facts/CampusProfile

Joan Gosnell, University Archivist

You and SoCal are both right. SMU is better academically than it was in the 1980s but have fallen back relative to our peers.
mustangxc

Previous

Return to Football