PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

June 30 is fast approaching

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: June 30 is fast approaching

Postby Dukie » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:46 pm

SMUstang wrote:It is doubtful that we would even be considered for the PAC if we had not emphasized academics since the dp.

What? SMU's relative academic standing (roughly Top 70) is worse today than at the time of the DP (roughly Top 50).
Dukie
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:55 pm

At least we have more 'athletics friendly' majors now.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:12 pm

mtrout wrote:At least we have more 'athletics friendly' majors now.

Maybe that's what was meant--emphasizing helping athletes succeed academically.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:19 pm

Dukie wrote:
SMUstang wrote:It is doubtful that we would even be considered for the PAC if we had not emphasized academics since the dp.

What? SMU's relative academic standing (roughly Top 70) is worse today than at the time of the DP (roughly Top 50).

Just curious, where did you find this data?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby redpony » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:38 pm

IIRC there was a post on Around the hilltop some months ago comparing us to a california univ. about 20 yrs ago and then today. don't remember which one but it showed they had moved up significantly in both standing and endowment and we remained somewhat flat..
Maybe not what you are looking for but it was a comparison
Last edited by redpony on Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:38 pm

US News rankings we're 72. However, that puts us ahead of CO, AZ, OR, UU, ASU, OrS, SDSU, and WSU. Only trail Cal, Stanford and UW. (I didn't count UCLA and USC since they're leaving, but they're ahead of us in those rankings).
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:23 pm

I believe the current US News ranking. But I question the 1985 ranking. I'm thinking we have made significant progress since then.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:47 pm

SMUstang wrote:I believe the current US News ranking. But I question the 1985 ranking. I'm thinking we have made significant progress since then.

There are many pages of recent (last 2-3 months) of folks discussing this here, both SMU v TCU and SMU today versus a couple decades ago. I’m not going to search for it but the evidence presented there was compelling that SMU today is still ahead of TCU but that gap has narrowed and SMU’s ranking has slipped generally.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:49 pm

Posted on "Around the Hilltop" on June 11, 2023. " For the first time ever, SMU has 3 grad schools in the top 50 according to @USNews!! #coxschoolofbusiness #simmonsschoolofeducation #dedmanschooloflaw." Hard to believe we were better in 1985 although this says nothing about the other schools or the undergraduate program.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:27 am

SMUstang wrote:Posted on "Around the Hilltop" on June 11, 2023. " For the first time ever, SMU has 3 grad schools in the top 50 according to @USNews!! #coxschoolofbusiness #simmonsschoolofeducation #dedmanschooloflaw." Hard to believe we were better in 1985 although this says nothing about the other schools or the undergraduate program.

There's still a lot of work to do. We no longer are the top DFW schools in the categories that matter.

Dedman is #45. aTm Law School, an also-ran as Texas Wesleyan, is #29.

Cox is #33. UT Dallas is #27.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby orguy » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:35 am

Not really a cause for alarm. Ut d is a jco. Business school rankings matter little. We are still far above UT jco in overall student quality. SMU must focus on Science and Engineering regardless.
Business schools contribute little to the USNews algorithm. If SMU desires AAU status
then focus on those programs that are regarded as "academic" by those in the say.
orguy
All-American

Postby Topper » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:33 am

orguy wrote:Not really a cause for alarm. Ut d is a jco. Business school rankings matter little. We are still far above UT jco in overall student quality. SMU must focus on Science and Engineering regardless.
Business schools contribute little to the USNews algorithm. If SMU desires AAU status
then focus on those programs that are regarded as "academic" by those in the say.

I understand that AAU status is considered desirable but from what I can tell it mostly measures the number of grad programs offered across a variety of fields at the various institutions. That is why so many of the members seem to be major state flagship schools or in many cases institutions much older than SMU that have picked up additional degree offerings over the years. This is out of favor, but I judge the quality of a school I'm more interested in the math and verbal scores of the freshman class than the number of PhDs the school offers. By that measure SMU is pretty successful.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:55 pm

Is June 30 the real deadline for SDSU or did the MWC grant them another 30 days? Will the Big XII pounce? when? Will the PAC share media rights info with SDSU to get them to stay?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:26 pm

SMUstang wrote:Is June 30 the real deadline for SDSU or did the MWC grant them another 30 days? Will the Big XII pounce? when? Will the PAC share media rights info with SDSU to get them to stay?

The deadline for avoiding in the greater exit fee is real and MWC is unwilling to grant an extension to the deadline. That is in MWC's best interest candidly.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby redpony » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:56 pm

the fat lady is warming up. she is ready for an additional 16mil.. if this deal even happens. It would not surprise me if B12 offered sdsu a place at the table at the last moment. hence destroying any possible P12 deal.
redpony

PreviousNext

Return to Football