PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

June 30 is fast approaching

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: June 30 is fast approaching

Postby mtrout » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:16 am

Student athletes will spend more time traveling… it’s not like we’re currently taking an uber to cincy, ucf, usf, temple, memphis, east carolina…

PAC 12 downside is probably more jet lag than travel time.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:50 am

I don't know about you, but I had less problems with jet lag when coming from the UK or the Middle East than coming from Hawaii.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:22 am

It's true, flying West is much easier on you than East.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Re: June 30 is fast approach

Postby Water Pony » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:26 am

I share the view the college athletic conferences should naturally be regional in membership. Coast to coast conferences will concentrate media value and revenue with the P2 conferences distancing themselves from the remaining P5 schools and minimizing potential value for all G5 teams.

At this point, I want SMU to move into an P5 conference, regardless of geography. Our goal is simple and that is to be in the P5 club if more radical realignment occurs in the mid-term. To accomplish this at this time, our current and only possibility is to get invited to the PAC-12 conference, which needs to survive and emerge stronger with SDSU and our help.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:40 pm

Rivalries are important from a standpoint of comradery and attendance. Hopefully we can keep our main rivalries in our OOC schedule should we move to another conference.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby redpony » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:20 pm

do we have any rivalries other than tcwho and cougar high?
redpony

Postby SMUstang » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:03 pm

Though we don't consider them as such, the second biggest crowds in Ford Stadium come from UNT. And we travel well to Denton too. And don't forget the Gansz trophy with Navy. And we have quite a bit in common with Tulane and Rice and Tulsa.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:49 pm

SMUstang wrote:Though we don't consider them as such, the second biggest crowds in Ford Stadium come from UNT. And we travel well to Denton too. And don't forget the Gansz trophy with Navy. And we have quite a bit in common with Tulane and Rice and Tulsa.

No to Tulsa. No to Rice. Sorry.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:42 pm

Come on guy. We have a history of 90 games with Rice in football, and a 48-41-1 record. The Tulsa series started in 1935 and includes 29 games with a 16-13 record, And with Tulane the record is 15-14 with 29 games They are about as close to rivals as they come. I expect that cougar high will drop us soon, and maybe tcwho also if we join a rival conference.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:29 pm

SMUstang wrote:Come on guy. We have a history of 90 games with Rice in football, and a 48-41-1 record. The Tulsa series started in 1935 and includes 29 games with a 16-13 record, And with Tulane the record is 15-14 with 29 games They are about as close to rivals as they come. I expect that cougar high will drop us soon, and maybe tcwho also if we join a rival conference.

No, I won’t “come on.” Rice gave up far more even than SMU did. SMU and Texas have an amazing history and it means … nothing. Rice is irrelevant. So is Tulsa. Care about them and you’ve admitted abject defeat.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:03 am

Lets see, SMU vs Texas. 22-47-4 now that an amazing rivalry. By the way, Texas hasn't scheduled us since the SWC broke up. You might be lifting SMU up a little higher than we deserve. We'll see when we play OU.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:13 am

Well, there was that little thing about singing Varsity at the end of a game and yelling "Beat Texas!" at the end...but that WAS a long time ago...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:19 pm

SMUstang wrote:Though we don't consider them as such, the second biggest crowds in Ford Stadium come from UNT. And we travel well to Denton too. And don't forget the Gansz trophy with Navy. And we have quite a bit in common with Tulane and Rice and Tulsa.

It’s really only TCU. I dont know a single UH graduate, and the others are obscure. I think we will form rivalries quickly in the PAC given our student body overlap. At this point the big 12 can f-off. They are not very exciting after UT/OU departure and their travel locations are crap.

They are about to find out what they missed out on. Hell hath no fury like SMU scorned.
gostangs

Postby gostangs » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:26 pm

SMUstang wrote:My assessment of playing in the PAC.
Advantages
1. Athletic Department will have more money to spend for things like travel, salaries, and uniforms/equipment.
2. SMU will have more money to use for athletics.
3. Prestige and recruiting opportunities will be improved.

Disadvantages
1. Depending on the media rights contract, the central and eastern time zone fans will see less of SMU on TV and the starting times will be less convenient.
2. The student athletes will spend more time traveling instead of in class or on personal time.

Unknown
1. Conference championships, New Years Day Bowls, and CFP opportunities.

I dont think they can see any less of us then the games we have been playing in the AAC - particularly now that the interesting ones (but for us) have left. So the times arent ideal but the competition will draw many more eye balls than we have seen to date.

No student athletes spend much time in the classroom anymore so that is a draw - and also the AAC is strewn across the country also - just in less appealing places.

It’s all 100 pct advantage. I cant think of a single negative - and that is even before we think about what it does for us in the way of admissions and research cross pollination
gostangs

Postby malonish » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:06 pm

peruna81 wrote:Well, there was that little thing about singing Varsity at the end of a game and yelling "Beat Texas!" at the end...but that WAS a long time ago...

"Beat the deleted out of (next opponent)" is still here. No one stays around to hear it.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football