PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ACC considering SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ACC considering SMU

Postby Webmaster » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:18 pm

Yahoo Sports is quoting sources who say the ACC is considering SMU in addition to Cal and Stanford in expansion talks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-acc-considering-smu-in-addition-to-cal-and-stanford-in-expansion-talks-205526422.html
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Re: ACC considering SMU

Postby Paladin » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:47 pm

and now we're talking. Just go ahead and take Cal & Stanford, add SMU & Tulane, and presto you have a national Super Conference, just like all of the other big boys...
Paladin
All-American

Postby Ccolley68 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:04 pm

Paladin wrote:and now we're talking. Just go ahead and take Cal & Stanford, add SMU & Tulane, and presto you have a national Super Conference, just like all of the other big boys...

Gotta say, this would be my preference. Travel is gonna suck for Stanford and Cal, but at this point, nothing but money and affiliation matters. And if the ponies get the shot, jump immediately.
Ccolley68

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:07 pm

This would have been the ideal scenario. I can't imagine a better conference for SMU. If this really has any legs to it, I hope it moves quickly.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby ShantyBoy » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:40 pm

This is why the ACC look at Stanford and Cal might be good for us. If it happens, they needed “western teams” to partner with them. Fingers crossed this happens!
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby fan » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:54 pm

Said this before but we need to offer to be the "host" to olympic sports contests for the ACC with Stanford and Cal. IE we host Miami vs Cal in tennis or Volleyball or Swimming or Soccer, etc. Makes travel easier and helps ACC bridge the gap east to west.
fan
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:15 pm

fan wrote:Said this before but we need to offer to be the "host" to olympic sports contests for the ACC with Stanford and Cal. IE we host Miami vs Cal in tennis or Volleyball or Swimming or Soccer, etc. Makes travel easier and helps ACC bridge the gap east to west.

Our investments new competitive facilities, e.g., swimming, soccer, tennis, and rowing, are perfectly prepared to do exactly what you suggest. We will have two Olympic pools and quality facilities for non-revenue sports.

P.S. Given ACC Lacrosse, it would be beautiful to add Men’s and Women’s LAX
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Flipper » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:37 pm

Could this be it?!?!?!?!
Flipper
Recruit

Postby EastStang » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:55 pm

Let’s see we join the WAC it breaks up. BE, it breaks up. Mentioned for PAC 12, it breaks up. Can we do it again to the ACC.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:11 pm

EastStang wrote:Let’s see we join the WAC it breaks up. BE, it breaks up. Mentioned for PAC 12, it breaks up. Can we do it again to the ACC.

LoL

That's actually the reason I stopped attending kickoff luncheons. Following every kickoff luncheon someone at my table was dead by the next kickoff luncheon. At first I dismissed it, but it kept happening, I said ENOUGH.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby malonish » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:47 pm

Welp, ACC will be next to crash and burn based on Big East and PAC-12
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:10 am

I know my Clemson friends who don't want to leave the ACC are excited about the prospect of SMU joining the conference but we all know for the Clemson administration it's all about keeping up with the SEC and staying ahead of their rival South Carolina
Charleston Pony

Postby max the wonder dog » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:45 am

max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Peruna Power » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:52 am

While the PAC would have been more fun for vacation travel destinations (Love to vacay out just ignore policies), the ACC is a way better fit for SMU. Duke,UVA,UNC etc seem to be a better pairing compared to Oregon, Washington, etc when looking at the profiles of the institutions.

Had the PAC stayed intact and this was on the table, I would definitely have pivoted to the ACC. The exposure with the early kick offs, along with the basketball component, a TV deal with a long runway puts the ACC opportunity a few notches above the PAC. We have all seen what type of basketball program we can have when things go right, have to think we would be able to recruit some pretty strong basketball players being in the ACC situated in Dallas.

As always, we are being looked at out of necessity, not desire. After the ACC witnessed what happened last Friday coupled with discontent within the conference has caused them to get proactive extremely quickly (the anti George Klaivkoff). He does not want to see this happen to the ACC, so bringing in schools that you might ordinarily not have is going be likely instead of a pipe dream.

The only way the ACC Blue Bloods are going to remain content is to pump up those dollars they are receiving. Reading the reports, the ESPN TV deal requires a pro rata share no matter who the teams are. There aren’t many schools(maybe even just us) that are willing to forgo distributions for an extended period of time to move up. The other two schools will be left for dead and in a much worse position than us, so you have to think that they would forgo the maximum amount they could that would still allow them to operate their athletic department. So if you total up the cash from those three schools and distribute it to the rest of them, their payouts going to look pretty nice on paper. These variables are extremely favorable for us in the climate we are in.

I myself have been extremely critical of our own administration since the first day I set foot on campus. I never understood why we didn’t make strong attempts to elevate our athletic program. Not only did we not try, we went out of our away not to. I want to tip my cap to the administration this go around. Clearly, they are doing everything within their power to get us into a major conference. They tried with the PAC, as soon as that imploded, they were already working the lines with the ACC. The fact that we have come out of the gate offering to forgo the distributions to make this happen and the urgency they are displaying makes me extremely happy. I get that we are a couple hundred million dollars invested (pot committed at this point with athletic faculty/stadium upgrades) but they are doing everything within their power to try and make this happen. If it doesn’t work out, it’s just Peruna’s law taking over, not lack of effort like it has been the last four decades.
Peruna Power
Recruit

Postby EastStang » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:10 am

I didn't win the lottery, so I can buy ESPN.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Next

Return to Football