PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Spring Football Begins

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Spring Football Begins

Postby Dooby » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:10 am

http://www.smumustangs.com/news/news_release.asp?id=3773

Mustangs Open Spring Practice
Red-Blue Game Set For Apr. 17

For Immediate Release
Wednesday, March 17, 2004

DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU football team kicks off its 2004 spring practice on Thursday, March 18, with a 3:30-6 p.m. session in Gerald J. Ford Stadium.

The Mustangs return 40 lettermen from their 2003 squad including 22 starters. On the defensive side of the ball, All-WAC nose guard Allan Adami leads a list of 12 players back with starting experience.

Offensively, SMU will search for the successor to one of its all-time greats, Keylon Kincade, at the running back slot, but returns starting quarterback Chris Phillips. Phillips will face tough challenges, however, from junior college additions Tony Eckert and Jerad Romo along with redshirt freshman Ricky Joe Meeks. At tailback, Foy Munlin, Richuel Massey and Cedrick Dorsey will battle it out for the starting spot.

“It’s hard to work that many guys, but we’re going to see who wins the job,” said SMU Head Coach Phil Bennett.

“It’s going be fun this spring,” continued Bennett. “We’ll have competition at every position, and that’s something we haven’t had in my time here.”

The 15-practice session, which concludes with the Red & Blue Game on Apr. 17, will also provide a chance for staff additions Rusty Burns and Ronnie Vinklarek to work with their new protégés. Burns arrives on the Hilltop after guiding Cincinnati to a Conference USA title in 2002, while Vinklarek comes to SMU after stints in the NFL and the college ranks.

“I believe winning and losing is a very fine line,” concluded Bennett. If we’re able to get some positive things going early, I think we can be looking at a much improved team in 2004.”

For a complete spring practice schedule, click click here.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football