PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

From ACC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: From ACC

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:28 pm

You know if we win the conference we get that foregone TV money back. That would be truly ironic.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby fan » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:41 pm

What a great day for our University.

I posted this idea a while back - SMU hosting a "jamboree" of sorts for olympic sports for other schools in our conference to minimize travel. Looks like someone in the ACC office reads Ponyfans. (or maybe just had the same idea).

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1 ... 9755035116
fan
Varsity

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:10 pm

fan wrote:What a great day for our University.

I posted this idea a while back - SMU hosting a "jamboree" of sorts for olympic sports for other schools in our conference to minimize travel. Looks like someone in the ACC office reads Ponyfans. (or maybe just had the same idea).

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1 ... 9755035116

It's a good idea to do that and take certain that a bunch of area HS coaches and teams of sports that are non-revenue in college are invited. That is a key way to get those coaches and their players thinking about going to SMU to play in college. Spreads good will and thus helps recruit.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:20 pm

HailToPitt725 wrote:
Water Pony wrote:Today's news has created enthusiasm for me that has been missing since the late eighties. The wandering in so many conferences since our SWC days, tempered what was possible and rewarding for SMU. In one glorious moment that has vanished.

One other comment is the recent criticism we have received by some national posters that SMU is buying its way into the ACC (or PAC-12). I reject those posts without hesitation. No schools was impacted so negatively by its transgressions that SMU. While we deserved penalties, the Death Penalty and its consequences exceeding anything reasonable.

Further, our former SWC mates piled on when the SWC disbanded and the subsequent, repeated expansions by BigXII's were denied us.

Our donors played the one card that allows us to be invited to a major conference along with two other fine universities, Cal and Stanford, i.e., delaying for nine years media revenue. SMU did the only thing we could. Folks that complain about our decision to invest should be careful what they say. Excuse us, but the entire realignment of college athletic conference has been driven by revenue and gaining more of it. What is best for the student athlete is a throw away comment.

When we arrive in the ACC, SMU will thrive.

Honestly, I’d embrace the “bought” narrative if I were SMU. I get you’re probably sensitive to that topic because of the historical ties to the Death Penalty, but the way I see it, what you’re doing to secure your power conference future is no different than what UCLA/USC, OU/Texas, or any other school has done during realignment. In the age of NIL, anything goes. The audacity they have to have double standards towards SMU just because you’re moving up from G5.

I think a lot of folks are spinning it that way because they’re nervous what that type of money can do in the ACC. It wouldn’t surprise me if SMU is near the top of the conference within a few years.

I think a bunch of FSU fans are fearful of that. Wake owns them now without such boosters backing Wake.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby orguy » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:22 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
orguy wrote:Jerry J is not a fan of anything SMU. Interesting how this
might work out.

And yet he was so enamored with the job Chad did at SMU he pushed for Arkansas to hire him away. That worked out well, didn't it?

Thanks Jerry. Ridding the program of that little man used car salesman was
much appreciated. Funny how things work out indeed!
orguy
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:55 pm

Since the Ponies DID have a Hallmark moment within the past 24 hours, I want to thank Crazy Horse for his completion of that metaphor.

Folks, it came true, and the ACC wasn't an "ex" who spurned us...it was a brand new (albeit high priced and high maintenance) good-looking gal who wants us...even if it is just for our money.

Life imitating art...sort of. I go to bed satisfied tonight.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ShantyBoy » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:41 pm

orguy wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
orguy wrote:Jerry J is not a fan of anything SMU. Interesting how this
might work out.

And yet he was so enamored with the job Chad did at SMU he pushed for Arkansas to hire him away. That worked out well, didn't it?

Thanks Jerry. Ridding the program of that little man used car salesman was
much appreciated. Funny how things work out indeed!

And how sweet will it be to win against salesman junior? I just hope the senior fraud is on hand to see it in person.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:42 am

Aside from us moving up one of the major joys has to be thinking about how much the little froggies are going to get pounded in recruiting. They will now not only be competing with us but also with major schools in our new conference.
Great recruiting tool- stay in Dallas, get a great education and play schools like FSU, Clemson, Duke and others instead of schools from Kansas, rural OK and WVA.
redpony

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:13 am

Pony Up.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Ccolley68 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:38 pm

Ccolley68

Previous

Return to Football