PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pacific American?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pacific American?

Postby ROCKNEPONY » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:03 pm

Has anyone seen other information on this? it doesn't seem to optimize teams.

Where's Navy? Air Force?

Why would we still play UAB? FAU? If real I guess the only plus is more money? P5 label? Rose Bowl 1/2 ownership? No exit fee?

https://twitter.com/OS_Beaver/status/16 ... 3822803053
ROCKNEPONY
Scout Team

Re: Pacific American?

Postby PonyEnergy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:36 pm

delete UNT and UTSA and sub with SMU and Air Force in the West, invite Navy to the East, invite Gonzaga for non-football sports too.

then I likey!
PonyEnergy
Scout Team

Postby SMUstang » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:10 pm

I like it
Last edited by SMUstang on Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:48 pm

ROCKNEPONY wrote:Has anyone seen other information on this? it doesn't seem to optimize teams.

Where's Navy? Air Force?

Why would we still play UAB? FAU? If real I guess the only plus is more money? P5 label? Rose Bowl 1/2 ownership? No exit fee?

https://twitter.com/OS_Beaver/status/16 ... 3822803053

I actually like the look of that conference. If Tulsa, Navy & UNCC are abandoned, I wonder if CUSA would love to have them to get to 12 member schools and be able to hold a championship game. This would leave the MWC at 9 schools which could work but they would lose out on holding a championship game. Wichita State would be a natural to align with the MWC for hoops. Tulane & Rice probably become our rivals? Hope this is true and that ESPN likes it but I imagine it would have been leaked by now if true. If this does happen, who is the Commish?
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dukie » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:51 pm

PonyEnergy wrote:delete UNT and UTSA and sub with SMU and Air Force in the West, invite Navy to the East, invite Gonzaga for non-football sports too.

then I likey!

My god if SMU lets itself be shunted into that eastern division while NTSU is with the PAC alumni I swear I may be done. I get the East Coast time advantages but NO way to that.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:54 pm

PonyEnergy wrote:delete UNT and UTSA and sub with SMU and Air Force in the West, invite Navy to the East, invite Gonzaga for non-football sports too.

then I likey!

As an east coaster, I actually prefer being in the east for more visibility, especially if ESPN buys in. Like it or not, UNT & UTSA have large enrollments and plenty of potential. I suppose Rice and/or Tulane become our key rivals in this scenario but scheduling would be interesting assuming conference play is limited to 8 games...could go to 9 or even 10 conference games depending on what the networks want. Eight games makes for a "clean" division champion to play in the league's championship game
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

then I likey!

As an east coaster, I actually prefer being in the east for more visibility, especially if ESPN buys in. Like it or not, UNT & UTSA have large enrollments and plenty of potential. I suppose Rice and/or Tulane become our key rivals in this scenario but scheduling would be interesting assuming conference play is limited to 8 games...could go to 9 or even 10 conference games depending on what the networks want. Eight games makes for a "clean" division champion to play in the league's championship game

Bring in the east with that lineup is *not* more visible than being in the west with PAC alums. Period.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:12 am

Dukie wrote:Bring in the east with that lineup is *not* more visible than being in the west with PAC alums. Period.

I say that only because game time starts in the eastern time zone will typically get more eyeballs than pacific time night games when most college football fans in the east are saturated. Playing in the B1G and having more games played in the eastern time zone is going to bring more visibility to USC, UCLA, Oregon & Washington, as if they need it! Also, I'm not really sure the "abandoned 4" PAC schools are a much larger draw than some of the eastern schools in this proposed group. If they were, the B1G or ACC would be showing more interest.
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:15 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Dukie wrote:Bring in the east with that lineup is *not* more visible than being in the west with PAC alums. Period.

I say that only because game time starts in the eastern time zone will typically get more eyeballs than pacific time night games when most college football fans in the east are saturated. Playing in the B1G and having more games played in the eastern time zone is going to bring more visibility to USC, UCLA, Oregon & Washington, as if they need it! Also, I'm not really sure the "abandoned 4" PAC schools are a much larger draw than some of the eastern schools in this proposed group. If they were, the B1G or ACC would be showing more interest.

I know why you say it. ALL ELSE EQUAL, you’re right. But you can go straight down the list of ratings pull of the opponents and the West from that tweet is vastly superior. We need to be with Stanford and Cal, not Memphis and Navy. Farther down the list the disparity only grows.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:45 am

Navy has a National following. Remember they house both the Navy and the Marines. Army does to a lesser extent with Air Force bringing up the rear. Is the Space Force going to have an academy?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Dukie » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:55 am

EastStang wrote:Navy has a National following. Remember they house both the Navy and the Marines. Army does to a lesser extent with Air Force bringing up the rear. Is the Space Force going to have an academy?

Navy is fine but yes, they are lesser than Stanford. Ditto Memphis versus Cal. And every other comparison all the way down those lists.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby PK » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:40 am

I don't understand how having two 9 team divisions in a conference works. Do you only play the other 8 teams in your division every year? If so, that would make the line up of each division very important. Would you ever play teams from the other division? How many and how often if you do? Seems to be too many teams to me.

BTW, what happened to SDSU in all of this?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Water Pony » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:42 am

I enjoy the “what if” conference and division scenarios, but the most important factor is what will Stanford Cardinal do.

Whether the PAC-12/4 backfills via (1) merger with AAC or MWC, (2) take top teams from either or both of these conferences or (3) joins the ACC (B1G10 still a long shot option), Stanford’s decision will set the final outcome in motion for the other 3 remaining schools, and, as a result, what will SMU be able to do.

Stanford’s objectives are to remain in a P5/P4 conference, fund their large athletic programs, and receive sizable media exposure and financial compensation. When they decide, SMU may have its own decisions to make. Join the ACC with them (with or without Cal) or hope the PAC schools can rebuild the conference with us.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:50 am

PK wrote:I don't understand how having two 9 team divisions in a conference works. Do you only play the other 8 teams in your division every year? If so, that would make the line up of each division very important. Would you ever play teams from the other division? How many and how often if you do? Seems to be too many teams to me.

BTW, what happened to SDSU in all of this?

SDSU shows in this proposed western division along with Colorado State and Boise State from the MWC. As for the 18 member group, the question becomes whether to play more than the traditional 8 conference games. I've never liked other conferences playing 9 games as you lose the even split of home/road games. You could go to 10 conference games, but then you have some teams disadvantaged depending on who they draw from the other division as conference games. I've always thought 18 was a good number to keep divisions more regionalized and thought the B1G might bring in Stanford & Cal for that very reason
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:25 pm

If I am not mistaken, the B1G already has 18 members with Washington and Oregon. The question is will they return to divisions?
SMUstang
Heisman

Next

Return to Football