PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU's Steve Sidwell has passed away

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU's Steve Sidwell has passed away

Postby ponyte » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:29 pm

Coach Sidwell was the defensive coordinator with Coach Ron Meyer. He has passed away. He is a Colorado University Hall of Famer, defensive coach in the NFL for 21 years. More important, he developed one helluva defensive at SMU when we went from crud to studs and Mustang Mania to Pony Express. I credit him with that great defense that beat Texas in 1980

Coach Sid was the D coordinator in 1976, my freshman year. He was there for my entire career. He practice what he preached. Our freshman year he called another freshman, a linebacker, a SOB in practice. The player told Coach Sid that he found the term offensive (after practice). During the next day's team meeting, Coach Sid admitted to what he said and apologized to the entire team.

If one broke a rule, say wasn't on time, we had to run a 'Mustang reminder'. Coach Sid was late to one of his meetings and true to his character, after practice, with all of us able to see, he ran his Mustang Reminder.

I had several interaction with Coach Sid both on the field and off the field. He always treated me with dignity and respect. As if I was a peer.

After Coach Meyer, my senior year TE coach, Coach Sid was the one coach I remember and admire the most.

https://www.register-herald.com/sports/ ... eafb9.html
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU's Steve Sidwell has passed away

Postby BUS » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:44 pm

Rest in God's peace, coach.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football