PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Notes from Rhett Lashlee's radio show

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Notes from Rhett Lashlee's radio show

Postby PonyPride » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:16 pm

Some notes from head coach Rhett Lashlee's Wednesday show. Some of these is paraphrasing, some is directly quoted.

• Lashlee was asked how his offense will improve after being ranked among the nation's top total, scoring and passing offenses in 2022. "We just want to win more games.”

RG Justin Osborne a co-captain in 2023. Lashlee said Osborne had offseason back surgery and now "you can tell he's just different," adding that if needed, Osborne could play any of 5 OL positions for Mustangs.

• Of QB Preston Stone, Lashlee said, "He's not just born to be a quarterback, but born to be a quarterback at SMU."

• Lashlee said RB Camar Wheaton is suspended for a week because of class attendance. “We have high standards,” Lashlee said, “and we expect our guys to go to class.”

• Talking about receivers, Lashlee said that WRs Romello Brinson and Key’Shawn Smith are doing well in part because they played in the same offense at Miami. Of WR Jordan Hudson, a one-time SMU commit before spending last season at TCU and then transferring to SMU, Lashlee said “Sometimes it takes two times to get it right, but he did.”

• Re: K Collin Rogers, Lashlee said “I broke my rule” of not talking to kickers. “As a head coach, as a coordinator, I just never talked to kickers.” During camp this year, however, he has broken his rule, adding that he approaches Rogers every day at practice and “(talks) as much trash as I can” on topics ranging from football to (Rogers’ home state of) Alabama to (Rogers’) girlfriend. At first, Lashlee said, Rogers missed a few field goals. “Now he just laughs at me and puts them down the middle.

• The new teams joining The American Athletic Conference “make (the AAC) a ‘deeper league.’”

• Pressed to name players who might enjoy a breakout season in 2023, Lashlee named OL/FB Stone Eby and DE Elijah Roberts.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football