PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU ACCEPTS ACC INVITE!!!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU ACCEPTS ACC INVITE!!!

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:48 pm

Lots of shifting talk in the B1G, SEC, ACC and Big 12 r/n.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby PonyME » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:59 pm

I used to appreciate your contributions but now I agree with others that you’re a Troll.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby FroggieFever » Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:42 am

PonyME wrote:I used to appreciate your contributions but now I agree with others that you’re a Troll.

(Many outcomes favor both Unis.)
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby orguy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:41 pm

Odiferous froggie was nowhere to be found the day we received our
ACC invite. Definitely a troll. Nothing informative is ever posted. Pure
troublemaker and typical of those wishing attention. Ignore this jerk.
orguy
All-American

Postby FroggieFever » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:48 pm

orguy wrote:Odiferous froggie was nowhere to be found the day we received our

Wut? Seriously? I encourage you to look at my posts literally right before the abv. It is nothing but positivity regarding the invitation and the $100mm/booster support.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:15 pm

orguy wrote:Odiferous froggie was nowhere to be found the day we received our

The add foe option is good. Just block names that include frog, toad, coog, geezer, baylor and you don't have to put up with much trolling on this board. If you don't, please don't quote them as their babbling will show up in the quote.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby orguy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:55 pm

Thanks for the reminder. Brilliant!
orguy
All-American

Postby ShantyBoy » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:33 am

Agreed. Thanks HubbaHubba. My blood pressure just dropped 20 Pts by going on a frog free diet.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby Dukie » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:03 pm

No hard news here, just scheduling guesses and puffery:

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/rivalry-g ... /21104103/
Dukie
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:38 pm

FroggieFever wrote:Lots of shifting talk in the B1G, SEC, ACC and Big 12 r/n.

Sounds interesting, but keep in mind that the massive GOR in the ACC and Big12 contracts locks those universities in. UT and OU couldn't find a way out from the GOR in the Big12 contract, so that should tell everyone something. The number of votes needed to disband the ACC just grew, so that vehicle isn't happening.

Things won't shift again until 2027/2028 before the Big 10 and Big 12 contracts expire. And who knows what the new contracts will look like as the free money train ESPN receives from cable companies continues to evaporate.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dukie » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:13 am

JasonB wrote:

Sounds interesting, but keep in mind that the massive GOR in the ACC and Big12 contracts locks those universities in. UT and OU couldn't find a way out from the GOR in the Big12 contract, so that should tell everyone something. The number of votes needed to disband the ACC just grew, so that vehicle isn't happening.

Things won't shift again until 2027/2028 before the Big 10 and Big 12 contracts expire. And who knows what the new contracts will look like as the free money train ESPN receives from cable companies continues to evaporate.

I can't remember what article it was, but one thing I learned recently (coupla months ago) is how explicitly the ACC GOR is built on the Big 12 GOR. Apparently the Big 12 shared its verbiage in its entirety with the ACC when the two were discussing a scheduling alliance, and the ACC just copied it.

So if Texas couldn't get out more than a year early, Klempson and F$U won't either.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:33 am

I suspect we'll permanently have Stanford and Cal on our schedule for travel reasons. Which is fine with me. That just means that we have 6 other games we have to figure out how to plan for. We know we'll be travelling east for 3 games per year and west coast for one game per year.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:01 pm

According to Andrea Adelson of ESPN, here are some highlights from the ACC Fall Meeting of ADs

- Divisions will not return.
- Three permanent rivals per team announced last year will not be scheduled.
- Likely there will be "protected" games, such as:
- FSU v. Miami
- Duke vs. UNC
- UVA vs. VT
- FSU vs. Clemson will be regularly scheduled
- There may be teams with no protected games as a result of the below example
- 5 ND vs. ACC games adds complexity to scheduling challenges
- Current ACC teams will limit their West Coast travel, as promised

In summary, no one loves the idea that permanent rivalry games will vary or not exist. But with 17 teams, plus 5 non-con games vs. ND and no Divisions, the above is the current thinking.

I think we can assume SMU will play Stanford and Cal every year, which means a trip to the Bay Area annually.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Topper » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:14 pm

JasonB wrote:

It will be very interesting to see what kind of TV numbers the Big 12 draws once the cash cows are gone. Coach Prime's act will last another year but is already growing old and he will bolt for the NFL ASAP. I predict that it runs aground and becomes pretty much a basketball league.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:02 pm

Topper wrote:
JasonB wrote:

It will be very interesting to see what kind of TV numbers the Big 12 draws once the cash cows are gone. Coach Prime's act will last another year but is already growing old and he will bolt for the NFL ASAP. I predict that it runs aground and becomes pretty much a basketball league.

My view - The Big XII sans OU and Texas cannot remain a truly major conference in the eyes of anybody not living in old Big 8 country. The ACC can lose FSU and Clemson and remain truly Major in national perception as long as it keeps Miami and UNC and VT. Ans that awareness will play a big role in nudging all kinds of Come-on boosters to prefer staying as the obvious Big Dog than moving top the SEC where its 81, 000 seat stadium and football history mean zilch to half the league. Clemson would gain more form that than being. regular 8-4 SEC team that is middle of the pack in SEC attendance.

So the key for the ACC is to work slowly to keep Clemson while also planning to take from the Big 12 what will most help ACC football. I think that Cincinnati is a must. It is a HUGE state school in a state that annually is 5th (behind FL, TX, CA, and GA) in production of D1 football recruits. Cincy in the ACC would mean that ACC is the only league with membership infall 5 of those states. Plus, Cincy is Louisville's most played rival in. both revenue sports. Then the ACC needs to focus on TX. The best move would be to have both teams located in DFW, so add TCU. Baylor and TTU also would help the ACC make at least the northern half off the TX very much an ACC area.

If FSU leaves there is the matter of a 2nd school in FL. USF is huge and is now an AAU member. It and UCF both would go. long way to replacing FSU in terms of fans living in FL.

WVU also makes sense because its geography and its histories with Pitt, VT, and Syracuse especially.

If Amazon gets into partnership with Disney for ESPN, Amazon may well be thrilled to to become main sponsor for aan XL ACC of at least 20 members that would marketed as a national conference.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football