PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU / Baylor Message Boards about SMU to ACC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TCU / Baylor Message Boards about SMU to ACC

Postby BillgoCU » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:14 am

Clemson isn't mad about SMU, Clemson just wants to find a way to be paid on par with national-caliber schools.

As a lifelong Clemson fan, I hope we stay in the ACC, and that the league gets a better TV deal. And that's really the only problem. The ACC has national brands (you could find some Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Duke sportsgear at just about any store in America) yet the league locked in a lower payout TV deal until 2036 that doesn't even account for inflation.

I'm not worried about football at Clemson; we will find a way to fund that at championship levels, but the other sports suffer in comparison to our SEC neighbors. I have a friend who umpires college baseball, and he knows the SEC facilities, and food/hospitality they have for the officials are of much higher quality. And that's really where the extra money comes into play. The smaller sports are the big winners from the football TV contracts, and even though Clemson has national titles in soccer and golf, we see those type of sports as getting passed by with huge contracts flowing to our neighbors at Georgia and S. Carolina.

Here's to hoping SMU can win the AAC in your final year there! Congratulations on making it all the way back from the death penalty. It has to feel good, and I've been pulling for you for a long time. Looking forward to visiting Dallas and hosting yall at Clemson.
BillgoCU

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:31 pm

BillgoCU wrote:Clemson isn't mad about SMU, Clemson just wants to find a way to be paid on par with national-caliber schools.

As a lifelong Clemson fan, I hope we stay in the ACC, and that the league gets a better TV deal. And that's really the only problem. The ACC has national brands (you could find some Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Duke sportsgear at just about any store in America) yet the league locked in a lower payout TV deal until 2036 that doesn't even account for inflation.

I'm not worried about football at Clemson; we will find a way to fund that at championship levels, but the other sports suffer in comparison to our SEC neighbors. I have a friend who umpires college baseball, and he knows the SEC facilities, and food/hospitality they have for the officials are of much higher quality. And that's really where the extra money comes into play. The smaller sports are the big winners from the football TV contracts, and even though Clemson has national titles in soccer and golf, we see those type of sports as getting passed by with huge contracts flowing to our neighbors at Georgia and S. Carolina.

Here's to hoping SMU can win the AAC in your final year there! Congratulations on making it all the way back from the death penalty. It has to feel good, and I've been pulling for you for a long time. Looking forward to visiting Dallas and hosting yall at Clemson.

The deal we signed was fine when signed, especial as without it ESPN would not have agreed to set up the ACCN. But considering the ACC many successes, including National Championships in both revenue sports recently, ESPN should honor fully the 'look-in' part. ESPN interprets that as ESPN can do nothing no matter we achieve, and the ACC understood it to mean that ACC successes on the National level would mean increases.

If we can keep our heads and last, we can be on the open market. We have drawn more total TV viewers for football than the Big 12 with OU and Texas. And that with FSU and Miami and VT down.

One thing I would like to do is take a portion of the total TV revenue and distribute it based on the numbers of TV viewers. That will not raise total league revenue, but it will mean that teams like BC and Wake that always have low TV number will get less while teams like Clemson that always do well in TV numbers will get more.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby Blvd_Stang » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:37 pm

2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby Blvd_Stang » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:44 pm

Question for any connected SMU folks, ACC folks or lawyers, do you think we have stipulations in our "no media dollars" agreement with the ACC?

For example...

- If ACC renegotiates with ESPN to get more $$$ - Does that change anything for SMU in terms of media payments?

- If Clemson, FSU and UNC leave (and more new teams are added) - Does that change anything for SMU?

Basically, are there any circumstances that could "reset" or alter our agreement to forgo media revenue?
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football