PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Future Schedules

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Future Schedules

Postby PonyTime » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:16 am

CA Mustang wrote:
Mustangs35SMU wrote:Here's what the schedule is looking like so far after the ACC announcement today...

2024:
08/31 vs Houston Baptist
09/14 at Vanderbilt
09/21 vs TCU
vs BYU

Was the game at Vanderbilt always next year or was it moved up?

Silk wrote:Let's drop Colorado. As an ACC team (got to get used to saying that!), we can land other solid OOC opponents, and there's no reason to help Sanders.

Sanders will be long gone from Colorado by 2030.

First Vandy game was always going to be next year. Great time to catch Vandy too. The 2024 OOC schedule is really not much tougher than this year's version, with much more upside if we are able to come out of that at least 3-1.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:20 am

ShantyBoy wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
ShantyBoy wrote:And aren’t we done helping tcu? I’d drop that game in 24 no matter the sentimentality.

Seriously? No time to get pompous. TCU is our best rivalry and we should keep this series going as long as possible. Force TCU to be the school that doesn't want to continue this series.

Yes seriously. Screw them. We have bigger fish to fry now.

I'm with Charleston on this one (and its not just an NC thing). I don't want to lose the TCU rivalry. It's a lot of fun and has been the only real bright spot on about two decades worth of dreary SMU football schedules. Plus, its very close and easy from a logistics perspective when we play there. . . and its a sellout when we play at SMU.

We may not NEED the TCU series going forward like we have, but I'm still bummed about it going away.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby BUS » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:47 am

IMHO I would work to keep the tcwho game. Fun and it has history. Plus, easy to get to FTW.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby leopold » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:05 pm

This is awesome. A genuine, no [deleted] big-boy schedule chock full of actual recognizable opponents that not only CFB fans will care about but ones the average student, alumnus, and citizen of Dallas can recognize and pay attention to, at a time we are expanding and upgrading our stadium. Even our OOC schedule moves up considerably and we have SEVEN home games next year.

Amazing.

Keep TCU on the schedule. I'd seriously reach out to Texas and Arkansas as well.

Thank the Lord, we are finally back in the big leagues.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:26 pm

leopold wrote:This is awesome. A genuine, no [deleted] big-boy schedule chock full of actual recognizable opponents that not only CFB fans will care about but ones the average student, alumnus, and citizen of Dallas can recognize and pay attention to, at a time we are expanding and upgrading our stadium. Even our OOC schedule moves up considerably and we have SEVEN home games next year.

Amazing.

Keep TCU on the schedule. I'd seriously reach out to Texas and Arkansas as well.

Thank the Lord, we are finally back in the big leagues.

Texas said they will NEVER voluntarily play SMU again and I expect that is because they fear having to recruit against us in the Dallas metro area. We'll just have to wait to see if that ever changes. Arkansas never had any problem scheduling us even after our bad teams gave them fits, so that's a much more realistic SEC opponent. I enjoyed the series with Ole Miss, too and Vanderbilty is a natural fit.
Charleston Pony

Postby leopold » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:23 pm

Yeah, I get you, but Texas also stated multiple times they would NEVER join the SEC, too, so I'd still reach out.

Biut yes, Vandy is a natural fit and we fit their traditional OOC opponents such as Duke, Wake, GT, Northwestern, etc. and there is no more 'G5' stigma attaached to us.

Ideal OOC to me? Something along the lines of

TCU
Vandy
Rice

And if we need a 4th we either take a heavy hitter P5 such as UT, A&M, OU, Arky or a G5 Texas school such as UNT, Texas State, or perhaps Tulsa.

But GOD is this schedule a sight for sore eyes.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:44 am

leopold wrote:Biut yes, Vandy is a natural fit and we fit their traditional OOC opponents such as Duke, Wake, GT, Northwestern, etc. and there is no more 'G5' stigma attaached to us.

TCU
Vandy
Rice

Rice makes a lot of sense, from a geographical stand point and from the stand point that they just don't have a lot of OOC games scheduled in the future (very similar situation to us). 2025 is the only season on the books right now that has 3 OOC games.

Cougar High is in the same situation if we wanted them back on the schedule.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby dr rc » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:33 pm

Texas A&M currently needs three games '26, two '28, three '29 and has nothing scheduled past 2029.

Arkansas currently needs two games from '27-'29, three games from '30-'33, and has nothing scheduled past '33.

The A&M/Arkansas deal to play at JerryWorld ends in '24 and both schools have indicated they want it to be a home and home moving forward.

Both schools would likely want to keep a presence in DFW so there could be something to work out with them. Also, A&M and SMU already worked together when A&M joined the SEC and needed to add games to replace their lost OOC w/Arkansas.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:46 pm

Ugh, Johnny Football's coming out party at Ford Stadium
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Topper » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:11 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:
leopold wrote:Biut yes, Vandy is a natural fit and we fit their traditional OOC opponents such as Duke, Wake, GT, Northwestern, etc. and there is no more 'G5' stigma attaached to us.

TCU
Vandy
Rice

Rice makes a lot of sense, from a geographical stand point and from the stand point that they just don't have a lot of OOC games scheduled in the future (very similar situation to us). 2025 is the only season on the books right now that has 3 OOC games.

Cougar High is in the same situation if we wanted them back on the schedule.

We need a regular date in Houston for recruiting.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:22 am

I would have no problem with doing home and homes with Rice or Houston. I would also not object to playing the Aggies or LSU in Houston and Dallas. And playing the Hogs in Little Rock and Jerry World would not bother me either. Same with OU (although they come to Dallas every year). I would play UT home and home or in a bowl game. Imagine if we get to a 1/1 Bowl and UT has to play us. TCU and UNT would be nice OOC teams to play to reduce travel costs. TCU will be making trips to UT, Arizona, Cincinnati, IA, Florida. They might think about saving some bucks and having a local game with us after Sonny gets fired in a couple of years.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:37 pm

IMG_6455.jpeg
IMG_6455.jpeg (31.91 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:36 pm

Vandy wimped out on us. Who do we backfill in at this late date?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:50 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Vandy wimped out on us. Who do we backfill in at this late date?

Utah State has Sept 14 to fill.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:00 pm

Looks like Rice is missing a couple of games.
HubbaHubba
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football